Dothan, AL Locals what sat location?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vipul128

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
What satellite does the Dothan, AL HD locals come from? I recently just changed my address and keep getting a no signal message on the local channels. Does anyone know which satellite they come from and a spotbeam map? Thanks

You have to have a spotbeam map? There doesn't seem to be one under the SatMaps! tab up top. Thanks.

I just looked and Beaumont, TX and Chattanooga, TN are also on same transponder so depending where you're located you may be within that spotbeam

Ok, well I guess I will have to go out and mess with the dish. I am getting no signal at all on TP1 and I am in Montgomery. Thanks for the info.

Still no luck

Well, I finally got the chance to mess with my dish some today (fooled with the elevation and azmimuth, not the skew using the fine tuning bolts) and I still can't seem to get any signal on Transponder 1 on the 99W sat. I think I have the dish pretty well peaked in as my 103(ca) and 103(cb) signals are around 94-96 on all transponders and my 99(c) is also around 94-96 on all transponders (it was a bright sunny day out). Just having trouble picking up the spotbeam on Transponder 1 on the 99(s) sat.

Any other ideas or am I just out of luck? It seems that I am within the spotbeam range of this particular transponder but just can't pick it up for some reason. Thanks for any suggestions

Any other ideas or am I just out of luck? It seems that I am within the spotbeam range of this particular transponder but just can't pick it up for some reason. Thanks for any suggestions

You said you changed you address -- did you change your service address? If you log into your account on DirecTV.com, check to see what it shows for your service address. If it is not in the Dothan market, that might explain things.

The account is set up properly. The channels show up in my guide and my account does show address has been changed. The problem is with actually getting signal from that satellite and transponder which has the 4 local channels.

You said you changed you address -- did you change your service address? If you log into your account on DirecTV.com, check to see what it shows for your service address. If it is not in the Dothan market, that might explain things.

The account is set up properly. The channels show up in my guide and my account does show address has been changed. The problem is with actually getting signal from that satellite and transponder which has the 4 local channels.

OK, just checking. That is curious then -- looks like you're only about 100 miles away from the desired area. I know from my location, markets that are 100 miles away show signals in the high 90s. Odd.

Are you looking at 99c or 99s, it should be 99s.

I am looking at 99s transponder 1. Signal is zero. Even brought up the signal meter when trying to fine tune the dish but it didn't budge at all.

It would be helpful of anyone else in the Montgomery area that can get them, could post their signal levels on 99S TP1.

It may be that the spotbeam IS pretty tight. It will probably be set to the South more as well as it should (one day) cover both the Dothan and Panama City, FL area as both markets share a couple of channels. (NBC & CBS).

I'm in the Panama City area right now and get 69-72 on 99sTP1 - roughly 82 miles away. Eufaula to Dothan is about 52 miles. Dothan to Montgomery is about 102 miles. But again, the beam could be more Southward to cover PC in the future.

Unlike the Mobile spotbeam, for example, which s pretty wide as that market covers from the Mobile center as far East as the edge of Ft Walton, FL. (almost Destin) about 105 miles.

Last edited:
Another possibility ... now that I think about it, seems unlikely there would be a spot beam dedicated to Dothan -- that's just not that large of a market. Perhaps those locals are on a nearby market's beam, say perhaps Tallahassee? That might get sufficient signal into the Dothan area, but not as far as Montgomery.

It would be helpful of anyone else in the Montgomery area that can get them, could post their signal levels on 99S TP1.

Unlike the Mobile spotbeam, for example, which s pretty wide as that market covers from the Mobile center as far East as the edge of Ft Walton, FL. (almost Destin) about 105 miles.

Yeah, I was on the Mobile spot before and got signals on that one perfectly. You might be right on this one that the spot for TP1 is just smaller. But one of the posts earlier by Iceberg said that I was within the spot for TP1 though and he even said that it went all the way up and across to other states also (TX and TN I think).

Maybe this can be worked out backwards .....

looking at the 99 sat, what transponders do you show with high enough numbers, then we can figure out what IS available at you location...

Maybe this can be worked out backwards .....

looking at the 99 sat, what transponders do you show with high enough numbers, then we can figure out what IS available at you location...

Here are the signals on 99(s)

1 - 0
2 - 0
3 - 16
4 - 33
5 - 0
6 - 17
15 - 79
16 - 0
17 - 29
18 - 35
19 - 0
20 - 0
21 - 98
22 - 97
23 - 84
24 - 88

Just bumping this up in case anyone has any insight after looking at the signals I get on 99(s)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)