DTV NFL Sunday Ticket

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Both actually! Love the Steelers but love football! Lots of rain during the fall/winter here so nothing better than sitting on the couch surfing. :)

NFL HD Games for 2007 Season

Is there anyway of knowing how many of the NFL games will be in HD come September?

Before I purchase the bundle for some $300 odd bucks :rolleyes: I wouldn't mind getting some idea on how many games will be shows on Directv in HD.

Can someone speculate or have a good idea on how many?

Thanks

Here's a post I made at dbstalk.com on 6/23/07. I think it will answer all your questions:

NFL 2007 in HD
NFL 2007 In HD
For the coming NFL season, the FOX network will continue to broadcast up to 6 NFL games per Sunday in 720p High Definition. The CBS network announced on 4/24/07 that they will broadast up to 6 NFL games per Sunday in 1080i High Definition.

Here’s how the season works out:

NFL 2007.......1080i-HD...720p-HD...480i-SD

CBS (AFC)..........100............................7
ESPN (MNF) ......................17...............
FOX (NFC).........................99.............. 8
NBC(SNF).............17........................... .
NFLNET..................8......................... ...
Total...................125.......116............. 15

A week-to-week review of the NFL 2007 Schedule shows us:

1. We will now have 94% of the NFL 2007 Season Games in HD.
2. Of the 256 games played this year, only 15 will be braodcast in SD.
3. Through the season, FOX which has the NFC, will have only 8 SD games.
4. Through the season, CBS which has the AFC, will have only 7 SD games.
5. Weeks 1, 5, 6, 9, 12 and 15 will be 100% HD -- zero SD games for those 6 weeks.

HD Games for the season, on a weekly basis:
Week 1: 16 of 16 games in HD
Week 2: 14 of 16 games in HD
Week 3: 14 of 16 games in HD
Week 4: 13 of 14 games in HD
Week 5: 14 of 14 games in HD
Week 6: 13 of 13 games in HD
Week 7: 13 of 14 games in HD
Week 8: 12 of 13 games in HD
Week 9: 14 of 14 games in HD
Week 10: 13 of 14 games in HD
Week 11: 14 of 16 games in HD
Week 12: 16 of 16 games in HD
Week 13: 15 of 16 games in HD
Week 14: 15 of 16 games in HD
Week 15: 16 of 16 games in HD
Week 16: 15 of 16 games in HD
Week 17: 14 of 16 games in HD

Bandwidth?

Wow! So for all intensive purposes I would say ALL games will be in HD but does this mean Sunday Ticket with Superfan will show all these ?? Enough bandwith etc?

DIRECTV's website is advertising "... up to 14 games per week in HD.." with SuperfaN. So if CBS or FOX record a game in HD, it will be on DIRECTV in HD too. They even announced the RedZone Channel will be in HD this year.

The bandwidth problems no longer exist; DIRECTV-10 will be operational by NFL Season. And the just announced that DIRECTV-11 will be launched in December, 2007. With the new Sats, they really CAN provide 150 National HD Channels along with 1,500 Local HD Channels on spot beams.

The bandwidth problems no longer exist; DIRECTV-10 will be operational by NFL Season. And the just announced that DIRECTV-11 will be launched in December, 2007. With the new Sats, they really CAN provide 150 National HD Channels along with 1,500 Local HD Channels on spot beams.

Actually the bandwidth problems are still there for this season as it should still be in MPEG2 on the old sats. Just not enough time to convert everyone to MPEG4 equipment for this season yet.

So they will have to shut down multiple HD channels on Sunday to do all this.

Actually the bandwidth problems are still there for this season as it should still be in MPEG2 on the old sats. Just not enough time to convert everyone to MPEG4 equipment for this season yet.

So they will have to shut down multiple HD channels on Sunday to do all this.

But nooooooooooooo. The new D10 and D11 sats are not MPEG2 or MPEG4 sats, they are what you choose to use them for. Example: right now, both S1 and S2 are providing some MPEG2 channels and some MPEG4 channels.

You cannot convert all DIRECTV's HD subscribers from MPEG2 to MPEG4 overnight. But you CAN use D10 as an MPEG2 transmitter overnight.

In September, DIRECTV will probably have D10 transmitting all of the NFL HD games (and the RedZone Channel too) in MPEG2. All the folks with 3LNB and 5LNB dishes will receive them fine. All the HR10-250, H20, H21 and HR20 receivers will receive all these HD (yeah, in MPEG2) channels just fine.

For the immediate future, D10's use of MPEG4 will be in providing all the NEW National HD Channels and in opening up new DMA's to HD Local-Into-Local channels. All the NEW National HD Channels will be a great motivation for folks to abandon the HR10-250 MPEG2-only receiver.

What channels on Spaceway1 and Spaceway 2 are NOT MPEG4? It wouldnt make sense to do MPEG2 since MPEG4 is more efficient and if you are seeing the spaceways then your receiver can do MPEG4. I dont know any channels that are MPEG2 on the Spaceways.

I think he was saying that D10 could do Mpeg-2 also. The Spaceways couldn't do it because they are spot beams.

I think he was saying that D10 could do Mpeg-2 also. The Spaceways couldn't do it because they are spot beams.

Example: right now, both S1 and S2 are providing some MPEG2 channels and some MPEG4 channels.

This is the quote I was going after. He said S1 and S2 are providing some MPEG2 channels. I dont know of any. :confused: Also isnt D10 going to be parked at 103 and is Ka which is only compatible with HR20 and H20 and using B-Band Converters?

Last edited:
But nooooooooooooo. The new D10 and D11 sats are not MPEG2 or MPEG4 sats, they are what you choose to use them for. Example: right now, both S1 and S2 are providing some MPEG2 channels and some MPEG4 channels.

You cannot convert all DIRECTV's HD subscribers from MPEG2 to MPEG4 overnight. But you CAN use D10 as an MPEG2 transmitter overnight.

In September, DIRECTV will probably have D10 transmitting all of the NFL HD games (and the RedZone Channel too) in MPEG2. All the folks with 3LNB and 5LNB dishes will receive them fine. All the HR10-250, H20, H21 and HR20 receivers will receive all these HD (yeah, in MPEG2) channels just fine.

For the immediate future, D10's use of MPEG4 will be in providing all the NEW National HD Channels and in opening up new DMA's to HD Local-Into-Local channels. All the NEW National HD Channels will be a great motivation for folks to abandon the HR10-250 MPEG2-only receiver.

Actually you are wrong (other then the fact that D10 could indeed do MPEG2 if they wanted it to).

The HR10 and any older receiver *cannot* tune to the new slots at 99 and 103. They don't know they exist. *THIS* the real reason why there is a receiver swapout, not MPEG4. But since DirecTV has to swap out everyone's receiver to see the new sat slots they decided to go to MPEG4 as well.

This is very similar to just like when they brought 119 online a few years ago. All the original receivers couldn't see the 119 sat. Thus I had to get all new receivers to get my locals off 119 since my old ones couldn't tune to the sat.

And you also state the 3 LNB dish will see D10. No, that's why you need the 5 LNB dish, to get the two new slots at 99 and 103 which is where D10 and D11 will go.

And one last thing, the Spaceways are doing MPEG4 only. Just HD locals and HD RSNs. Now there is no technical reason why they couldn't do MPEG2 an the Spaceways or on D10/D11 but there is no need to since you need a brand new receiver (H20 or HR20) to tune to these new sats anyway.

Not quite sure where you got your info but most of it is incorrect. :)

This is the quote I was going after. He said S1 and S2 are providing some MPEG2 channels. I dont know of any. :confused: Also isnt D10 going to be parked at 103 and is Ka which is only compatible with HR20 and H10 and using B-Band Converters?

Yeah your right. So they could do Mpeg-2 but only HR20 and H20 receivers could see it.

No only H20, H21 and HR20 will be able to see D10. Its being parked at 103 I believe and will be doing Ka and need B-Band Converters for those receivers to see them (unless using SWM). So you would not even think of doing anything in MPEG2. Everything on D10 will be MPEG4 period.

Yeah your right. So they could do Mpeg-2 but only HR20 and H20 receivers could see it.

That wouldnt make any sense at all. Lets see, adopt MPEG4, launch new sat that only works on MPEG4 receivers and then put the channels out at MPEG2. I think you are with me they will be MPEG4 all the way if they use D10. I just dont think they are going to fully retire the MPEG2 ones on 101, 110, 119 this NFL season.

Also isnt D10 going to be parked at 103 and is Ka which is only compatible with HR20 and H20 and using B-Band Converters?

HR20 and H20.

But yes, this is correct. Too many people refer to this as an MPEG4 conversion when it really is just a convertsion to receivers that can see the new sat slots and can tune to KA band signals, which none of the older receivers can do. MPEG4 conversion is just icing on the cake.

Actually you are wrong (other then the fact that D10 could indeed do MPEG2 if they wanted it to).

The HR10 and any older receiver *cannot* tune to the new slots at 99 and 103. They don't know they exist. *THIS* the real reason why there is a receiver swapout, not MPEG4. But since DirecTV has to swap out everyone's receiver to see the new sat slots they decided to go to MPEG4 as well.

This is very similar to just like when they brought 119 online a few years ago. All the original receivers couldn't see the 119 sat. Thus I had to get all new receivers to get my locals off 119 since my old ones couldn't tune to the sat.

And you also state the 3 LNB dish will see D10. No, that's why you need the 5 LNB dish, to get the two new slots at 99 and 103 which is where D10 and D11 will go.

And one last thing, the Spaceways are doing MPEG4 only. Just HD locals and HD RSNs. Now there is no technical reason why they couldn't do MPEG2 an the Spaceways or on D10/D11 but there is no need to since you need a brand new receiver (H20 or HR20) to tune to these new sats anyway.

Not quite sure where you got your info but most of it is incorrect. :)

I had to read it a few times before it dawned on me what he said. Scott is absolutely right.

That wouldnt make any sense at all. Lets see, adopt MPEG4, launch new sat that only works on MPEG4 receivers and then put the channels out at MPEG2. I think you are with me they will be MPEG4 all the way if they use D10. I just dont think they are going to fully retire the MPEG2 ones on 101, 110, 119 this NFL season.

I am defenitly with you on the fact that they will do Mpeg4 on those new sats only. I think it wouldn't make any sense to do Mpeg2.

Alright, Brewer4 and bonscott87,

If you two are going to behave THAT way....

...then it appears I'd better pay attention and endeavor to make myself a little bit smarter.

My first sanity check was re-visiting S1 and S2. And Brewer4 is absolutely correct, every channel is MPEG4. Besides HD LIL Channels, they do transmit SD channels to Alaska and Hawaii, but even those SD channels are in MPEG4 compression.

Now I need to do some homework before opening mouth and inserting foot. Once again.

(most of all: thanks for your caring and help!!)

Alright, Brewer4 and bonscott87,

If you two are going to behave THAT way....

...then it appears I'd better pay attention and endeavor to make myself a little bit smarter.

My first sanity check was re-visiting S1 and S2. And Brewer4 is absolutely correct, every channel is MPEG4. Besides HD LIL Channels, they do transmit SD channels to Alaska and Hawaii, but even those SD channels are in MPEG4 compression.

Now I need to do some homework before opening mouth and inserting foot. Once again.

(most of all: thanks for your caring and help!!)

No sweat. I make mistakes and have certainly been chastised by the hoard. :eek: :D

What none of us know is what satellite and what compression. Most of us are guessing its too late to force everyone to MPEG4 equipment for the start of the season so we may see another HD CONUS MPEG2 ST on 101, 110, 119. I would prefer they mirror them on 103 in MPEG4 as its a much better compression and picture. Since they are way maxed out with space on 101, 110, and 119 we may see TNT or other channels going to D10 earlier. They had to cut TNT last year on Sunday afternoons. Not great for TNT or Nascar fans. Hopefully they have a better strategy this year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirecTV is untruthful to their customers

How often do receivers update?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)