DTVPal/TR-40 Remote Address Conflicts

JHHowland

Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
The remote from EchoStar (1.5 NDB) is known to activate both the DTV converter and your Dishnetwork SAT Reciever. There currently appears to be no solution available from Dishnetwork. I have found this out first hand via their Tech Support route. I have the Dishnetwork 311, but I would think that other recievers are affected as well. This is because the DTV converter appears to be operating on address 0, which is supposted to be some kind of Dishnetwork universal address control code.

But, not all is lost. Two work around solutions are at hand.

First, if you are using your SAT Reciever and DTV Converter with a single analog TV; turn the DTV Converter "ON" using the DTV Remote. Your SAT Reciever should also now be "ON". Manually turn the SAT Reciever "OFF". Now you can toggle between using the DTV Converter and SAT Reciever using the DTV Remote.

The second work around involves setting up the "AUX" selection button on your Dishnetwork SAT Remote to control the DTV Converter. Press and hold down the "AUX" button until all the other selection buttons are turned "ON". Release the "AUX" button, the "AUX" button will begin to flash on and off. Press the 3 button, and then 1, and finally the # (Pound) button. The "AUX" button should flash three times to indicate the new code has been set. Now, you can control most of the functions of your DTV Converter with your SAT remote.

Hey Cyclone, I am going to suppose you mean "change the 311 Remote Address". Yes you can. But because the Remote Address in the DTV Remote is factory preset to zero (and can't be changed as yet), it will overide all 16 possible address codes for the 311. If you could change the DTV Remote Address there would be no conflicts.

Or you could just do what I do - put some tape over one of the two diodes on the DTVPal remote to reduce it's effect/strength, and stick a piece of cardboard very carefully in front of the sat box's remote sensor.

This allows you use the sat remote for both, but the DTVPal remote won't get to the sat box - it's a partial solution that works good enough.

(this works best with the DTVPal right next to the TV and the DN sat box a few feet to one side - the side the DN box is on is the side of the DTVPal remote you cover up)

Hey ramnet, definitly a third alternative to consider. And, just an aside, if you ever get a broken out taillight on your car; just stretch some Saranwrap over the opening and then paint it red with your wife/girl friends nail polish.

It powers on/off my 508 regardless. So I've turned the 508 sideways when not using. Several layers of blue tape did not work, and a taped on piece of cardboard was just too kludgey. I'm the only one that uses the 508, so this works ok. Others get confused when they see the green power light on the 508 when they're trying to just get OTA.

Having difficulty getting MiL to use the Pal. She keeps turning back to the analog channels, even though they have less PQ by far. Just wants to use the TV remote. So I've hidden it. She wants the TV on, she can press the power button on the TV. I've set it for the Pal input. Now she HAS to use the Pal remote. I keep telling her to get used to it, that will be the only option after 2/17, but I just don't think she quite believes me.

It powers on/off my 508 regardless. So I've turned the 508 sideways when not using. Several layers of blue tape did not work...
Really! 2 layers of standard cheap vinyl black electrical tape worked for me over my 501 IR sensors.

I did not want the sticky residue from black tape. That's why I tried blue tape first.

a wet rag will take care of the sticky. It goes on the tip anyway - your hand doesn't go there :)

BTW, if cardboard doesn't work try rolling a few sheets of paper around the front instead - right now I'm using a sizable piece of junkmail - it's good for something

JHHowland, I emailed Dish about this issue. I received an email (that is on the office computer which I can't access from home) that stated tech is supposed to send out a replacement remote for the TR-40, DTV Pal, or DTV Pal Plus for customers that have both DISH and one of Echostars DTV convertors. The replacement remote is to be a 3.1 or 3.2 Ir remote. Then the DTV conv. is remote address 1 and change the 311 to something else.

So I would call back and demand a replacement 3.1 or 3.2 IR remote.

JHHowland, I emailed Dish about this issue. I received an email (that is on the office computer which I can't access from home) that stated tech is supposed to send out a replacement remote for the TR-40, DTV Pal, or DTV Pal Plus for customers that have both DISH and one of Echostars DTV convertors. The replacement remote is to be a 3.1 or 3.2 Ir remote. Then the DTV conv. is remote address 1 and change the 311 to something else.

So I would call back and demand a replacement 3.1 or 3.2 IR remote.
I also talked with their tech side. They sent out a new 3.2 IR for my 311! The base problem is that the DTV Pal and TR-40 do not have a programable address. Work around is to set Receiver Remote AUX to 3, then 1#.

Set Receiver Remote AUX?

I also talked with their tech side. They sent out a new 3.2 IR for my 311! The base problem is that the DTV Pal and TR-40 do not have a programable address. Work around is to set Receiver Remote AUX to 3, then 1#.

I tried setting my 508 remote AUX to 31# but it didn't 'take'. What am I missing? I pressed and held the AUX button until all the buttons lit up then released. AUX button stayed red, then tried pressing 3 then 1 then # - if it works the AUX button is supposed to blink three times but nothing happened. Any ideas

I tried setting my 508 remote AUX to 31# but it didn't 'take'. What am I missing? I pressed and held the AUX button until all the buttons lit up then released. AUX button stayed red, then tried pressing 3 then 1 then # - if it works the AUX button is supposed to blink three times but nothing happened. Any ideas

I'm in the same boat. Just hooked up two TR40's this weekend. The dish remotes are both UHF (the TV2 remote that came with the 622 and also an old 811 remote) and both control (share) the TV2 output of a 622. This 31# idea didn't work for me.

I also did the AUX scan for each type (0, 1, and 2) and didn't have any luck.

If anyone can recommend a specific dish UHF remote that can also control the TR40 it sure would be appreciated.

any dish remote that is sete to IR address 1 will control a DTVPal

Thanks for the info.......once the IR address is changed I assume that the remote will need to be set to SAT for it to control the TR40, correct? Not sure how smooth that would be if it would also be controlling the TV2 of my 622 (which someone might be watching in a different room - it is shared by 2 tv's.)

This link details the 31# stuff mentioned earlier - specifically detailing the SAT IN AUX feature to control another dish receiver with the AUX button. Maybe my old 811 and current TV2 622 remote doesn't have this feature?

(Click the HOW TO in the last bullet from the link to see the details.)

EDIT: Got it to work (31#, the SAT IN AUX mode) on one of the remotes! It was the TV2 one that came with the 622, I guess I spent the most time trying to get my old 811 remote to work and that one FOR SURE would not, it is not a 6.2 remote. This is a nice solution and exactly what I wanted. Have a used 6.2 remote ordered on ebay for about $19 shipped.

Interesting that my 622 manual never even mentioned this 31# stuff for AUX, it only documents using 0 for TV, 1 for VCR, and 2 for RECV/OTHER type device.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)