Dumb question regarding transponders,

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tony-d

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2015
Fl
When I do a blind scan I get transponder reports that look like.

1234 / 1234 / H or V what do the numbers represent?

Thanks

Your first number is the frequency of the transponder. Think of it like 104.1 FM on your radio dial. Which is 104.100 MHz. So if you get something like 12180 on Ku, that would be 12,180 MHz or 12.180 GHz. H or V stands for Horizontal and Vertical. This is the orientation of the antenna on the satellite. The last number is the Symbol rate of the transponder, which is like the baud rate. You can read more on that here.

Great forum.

Considered this a "dumb question" for years but now feel comfortable to open up with this.....

Not exactly a newbie here. Did a blind scan with my 8Dtek receiver of 113W C band, got station Excelsior TV. Switched over to my Amiko HD, did same scan, but no Excelsior TV. What gives? Next, got the TP parameters for Excelsior TV from the 8Dtek (confirmed by looking in Lyngsat), inputted those into the Amiko, did a TP scan, no signal. Repeated this a couple of times to confirm. Just can't get the Amiko HD SE to receive Excelsior TV. TP is 3845/h/2399 (as per 8Dtek), but also tried 3843/h/2400 (as per Lyngsat).

Exact same dish, LNB, coax, etc., but two different receivers, one gets Excelsior TV, one does not. Experienced this in the past, different results swapping different receivers. Both receivers MPEG II and IV capable.

Maybe I have to manually input the PID, etc? Thanks!

Great forum.

Considered this a "dumb question" for years but now feel comfortable to open up with this.....

Not exactly a newbie here. Did a blind scan with my 8Dtek receiver of 113W C band, got station Excelsior TV. Switched over to my Amiko HD, did same scan, but no Excelsior TV. What gives? Next, got the TP parameters for Excelsior TV from the 8Dtek (confirmed by looking in Lyngsat), inputted those into the Amiko, did a TP scan, no signal. Repeated this a couple of times to confirm. Just can't get the Amiko HD SE to receive Excelsior TV. TP is 3845/h/2399 (as per 8Dtek), but also tried 3843/h/2400 (as per Lyngsat).

Exact same dish, LNB, coax, etc., but two different receivers, one gets Excelsior TV, one does not. Experienced this in the past, different results swapping different receivers. Both receivers MPEG II and IV capable.

Maybe I have to manually input the PID, etc? Thanks!
I think I remember reading something about different receivers having different tuner sensitivity or thresholds (in the firmware?) and that dictates what is considered adequate signal to lock and show a channel. Perhaps someone with more expertise can provide a technical explanation? Does lend credence to the old practice of bringing your fta receiver & tv out to the dish to align it since that is what you will be using to watch later. :)

Wild guess here...

There used to be a MPEG2 channel using this same frequency and polarity with a symbol rate of 1983. If this old transponder parameter is in the STBs list, try deleting and rescanning using the new parameter. These SCPC channels are quite closely spaced and the frequencies are constantly being recycled with new services and parameters.

Lyngsat does not show any service on frequency 3843 or 3845 and has Excelsior listed on 3955. Lyngsat is out of date as Excelsior hasn't been on 3955 for at least a year.

This DVBS2 TP isn't too skinny, but my receiver takes several seconds to lock. The signal quality continuously bounces erratically between 38 - 63% with a 10' dish and a PLL LNBF. I had to bump the dish 5 clicks West from the optimal 113w position for other transponders to optimize 3843. It could have adjacent satellite interference or some other interference that is causing so many signal errors. Another note, the uplinker does not include a PCR PID in the table.

Are you using a PLL or DRO LNBF? What size dish? What is the SNR displayed for this TO on the meter? Does the TP lock and display a Signal Quality reading on the STB if it is left on the TP for 30-60 seconds?

Thanks Titanium and FTA4PA. Rignt now am not receiving Excelsior TV. As soon as it's available will get that information.

Dish is an old Channel Master 1.0m dish, LNB is a DMSI BSC621-2D.

Sorry about the error on Lyngsat, yes they have it as downlink signal = 3.955 Gigs. Lyngsat has a column with the date that info was submitted by members, should check that in the future since, as you stated, TP frequencies change frequently (pun intended).

The 3843/V/2399 TP was what my 8Dtek was receiving Excelsior TV on.

Status
Please reply by conversation.