DVD Recorders: Who's using them with Voom?

I'm on a Xeon 3.4Ghz here at work. I've not yet tested the Quadro FX3400 video card for HD playback. Maybe I'll try that now.

Which ATI card do you have?
Have you tested HD playback on your system yet?

WMV HD Content Showcase

Update: WMV-HD downloads are playing just fine here. My encodes are bad.

Anyone here have much experience with WMV9 encodes? If so, I can supply the raw foootage and maybe you can do the encode?

OK...here's a newb'like question...!!!!

Guys, I've had Voom since March and enjoy the HD experience!
I know we don't have a Voom DVR yet and it may be awhile before we do and $1000 plus switching to D* is not an option for me...
I really want to get a DVR or DVD/HDD but my question is. based on what I've seen, all these have S-video or composite video inputs. How can PQ be good as compared to DVI or component? How do you hook-up these to the Voom STB? What will I be able to record? How do they get info from the PG?

Sorry about my ignorance...!!!

I have a Panny E85 H and have to set 2 timers, one in the Voom (or Dish) stb, the other on the recorder.

Last night my optical cable went out on my Dish stb and I had to watch Bikini Destinations through my Panny to get sound and about 5 minutes in, I told my roommate that we couldn't watch it in HD tonight because we had no sound and he says "This isn't HD? It sure looks good". I get a very good upconvert through the component output of my Panny recorder.

Don't expect HD quality, but you can get near DVD quality from these things. Mine actually does some processing that cleans up the SD feeds and makes them look better than the live Voom feeds.

DarrellP said:
I have a Panny E85 H and have to set 2 timers, one in the Voom (or Dish) stb, the other on the recorder.
Is this the only way to record from the Voom STB? Does it mean I can't watch one channel and record another?

DarrellP said:
Last night my optical cable went out on my Dish stb and I had to watch Bikini Destinations through my Panny to get sound and about 5 minutes in, I told my roommate that we couldn't watch it in HD tonight because we had no sound and he says "This isn't HD? It sure looks good". I get a very good upconvert through the component output of my Panny recorder.

Don't expect HD quality, but you can get near DVD quality from these things. Mine actually does some processing that cleans up the SD feeds and makes them look better than the live Voom feeds.
OK...I'll can live with that PQ for recorded stuff (for now), but if the first point is NO I can't, then why have at all?

What about the connection issues? Would I watch an HD channel with the DVI while recording it thru composite or SVideo...what about the tuner issue?
Jeeez, I'm confused again...!!!

This is the ONLY way to record from the Voom stb.

You can not watch another Voom channel while recording, as the stb only has a single channel capability, even though it has a sat and an OTA tuner built in. If you had 2 Voom stb's then yes, you could record from one and watch the other. This is what I do, I have Voom and Dish and while one is tied up with a recording, I watch the other.

My Panny has 3 input sources, L1, L2 & L3 and also has a built in analog OTA tuner and downloads it's TV guide OTA. I can record from any source and watch another recorded show at the same time.

Connection is not difficult, you can watch HD through either component or DVI while you are recording. Since the Voom stb has all outputs hot at the same time, you can watch any of them.

The recorder will only play back through Component, S-Video or Composite, depending on the machine. Mine happens to save it as a 480p signal and has a very good picture on playback through component.

Thanks DarrellP...I'm really clear now...!!!
VOOM WE NEED THE DVR BOX NOW!!! OH AND MAKE IT REASONABLE $ WISE...jejeje

sorry guys, had to scream it out loud.

Since I only have 1 Voom STB and basic cable (Although it's digital) I guess I'll continue to wait for Voom's DVR. Is it worth it to get a Tivo, which are at $100 right now or will this be like a glorified VCR?

Don't forget that with a Tivo you also have a $12.95 or so per MONTH subscription fee unless you purchase the Lifetime for something like $200.

There are recorders out there that use OTA guides like mine and also some units have basic Tivo functionality built in without having to pay a fee.

As far as a glorified VCR, HELL NO! You get double the lines of resolution, yielding a much crisper, cleaner image, not to mention that you can instantly skip commercials, no need to rewind, don't run out of or break tapes, etc and if you get one with an integrated DVD recorder, you can high speed dub them to DVD.

These recorders are awesome and even though I have to set 2 timers, I could not live without mine.

OK...I just discovered what I was suspect of...my wife bought me a Tivo for Xmas...!!!
I will do my best and act surprised... ;) if not I'm in trouble!

Now my next question is...should I exchange for a DVD/HDD or keep the Tivo and wait for Voom DVR? Yeah I know it depends on what I want it to do but if you were in my shoes with only Voom and basic cable what would you get???

I guess I may be being a little unappretiative of her intentions...how did she find out I was looking for a HDD? Must have slipped out in my dreams... :rolleyes: :dev

Depends if you wish to archive or just watch. You could always add a standalone DVD burner for a little over $100.

DarrellP said:
Depends if you wish to archive or just watch. You could always add a standalone DVD burner for a little over $100.
Well, I would love to archive if it were HD or really good DVD PQ. Is there such thing as an HD DVD burner yet?
I guess my answer is, what I really want for now is to be able to get up in the middle of a program or movie for a few minutes and not miss anything...
Or watch CSI:NY and record Law and Order (even if it's not HD for now)
Maybe even trnasfer to my PC and active sync to PocketTV or Pocket Windows Media and watch on my PDA..(Long shot... :smug )
Hopefully the Tivo will do the trick...
Thanks again

PS: BTW I HATE VCR's already! :eek:

OK I am new here so be gentle :) I am thinking about buying voom. I am also thinking about buying a tivo with the free service or a HDD. Can someone explain what the pros and cons are for each?

I have a Panny Dmr-80 and a dmr-100,i have the 80 for a year and grabed one of the last 100's this fall because i heard these models were excellent.i have NO problems with the DMR-80 the DMR-100 is a little more finicky and have some coasters.But for archiving,i think the panny's are great

I have an E-80 and E-100 and like them a lot.

Last week Circuit City had 250 E-80's in their CA warehouse, none in stores. Only after I had the clerk check all stock did he find them. The price is $337 with FREE shipping. That's a good deal on a good machine.

Happy Holidaze...

Just picked up a Liteon 5005 box. Pretty good box. I have SVideo from the Voom box into the DVD, then composite and Optical Digital Audio to the TV/receiver. Nice how it "upconverts" it. Too bad my RCA TV stretches 4:3 content. If I use standard composite it doesn't, but if I use the progressive scan composite it does the 16:9 stretch.

Either way, nice box. Records VCDs as well. :)

-John

I have a Toshiba RD-XS32. Still reading the manual to figure out how it works so I have no comment at this time. Read customer opinions at epinions.com. Great detailed reviews!

shaun-ohio said:
im using the pioneer model dvr-810h-s model does an excellant job of recording, it has an 80 hr built in hard drive, plus has a dvd recorder to put the recorded stuff on dvd, it has the tivo basic service for free, then you can upgrade to the plus service if you want, but i stuck with the free version, the only thing the recorder lacks is wont play back in dd, has the optical out for it which i use, all it does is playback in surround sound, but i also have 2 directv/tivos with the plus version on them as well, still waiting on the dvr from voom to appear, i gave 600.00 for it at best buy with a 100.00 rebate on it.

Don't know much about Tivo but what I do know (unless things have changed) is that you CANNOT edit out commercials as you can with many, if not all DVD recorders (Like my Toshiba RD-XS32). :)

Single Tuner?

Well, if with VOOM it is impossible to watch one channel and record another...couldn't they at least have a non-DVR box that had multiple tuners????? How are we supposed to record anything?

That's why I have a Dish HD stb, it makes it very convenient to double up on OTA network shows or record a Voom and watch a Dish or vice versa. Seeing as how Voom does not yet offer HDNET, I have to have my Bikini Destinations fix.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)