DVR on Plasma!?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

stellar832000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 3, 2005
San Antonio
I have a 47inch samsung plasma and i am considering getting a DVR. But i have heard bad things about plasmas and dvrs involving burn in...does anyone have any input or suggestions...can i get the DVR without worry?

The only concern would be if you did a freeze frame of something too long and caused burnin. But with the HR20 that's really not a problem since a screen saver will pop up after abou 5 minutes and eliminates that problem. A bigger problem, with even a non-DVR STB would be to turn on something like SNBC all day with their stock ticker.

Yes, I used to have a 50" Sony XRB plasma and had a HR10-250 connected to it (sold the Sony with the house when we moved) and no problems that were DVR specific.

Last edited:
The burn-in issue is really overstated. YES there is a possibility of burn-in with plasma TVs if you have a static picture with high contrast on for long periods of time (more than a few minutes). I've had images paused on my plasma for as long as 10 minutes with no problems, but I generally choose low contrast moments to paus my screen.

Black bars on the sides are an issue. Use gray bars or :):shudder::) stretch the image to fill the screen if you really dislike gray bars to prevent that burn-in.

Otherwise there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about with plasmas and DVRs

See ya
Tony

I have a samsung FP-T5084

and haven't even had a hint of a problem. If yours is new it should have a bunch of anti-burnin features.

so you think it is safe to get the hr20? i really dont want to not be able to get a dvr just because i have a plasma

How could you live without a DVR? You can get burn in without a DVR easier than you can with an HR20 with the screen saver. I have an old CRT RP that is very easy to get burn on and have never seen any. Just don't leave any static image on the screen for long periods of time and relax and enjoy yourself.

I guess I don't understand why a DVR would cause burn in itself. It's displaying the image the same way any other receiver does. The only risk would be if you paused for an extended period of time.

I guess I don't understand why a DVR would cause burn in itself. It's displaying the image the same way any other receiver does. The only risk would be if you paused for an extended period of time.

But with the HR20 the screen saver would kick in and prevent burn in. (To the OP, it's a black screen with a logo that keeps moving all the time.)

Burnin is caused by a static image being displayed for a long time. Examples would be the non-moving portions of video games and the tickers at the bottom of some TV programs. If you notice, most broadcast tickers are now transparent so the display is always changing beneath them. The technology of the displays themselves has changed to minimize the risk. Mine has a pixel shift feature that even if the display appears static it is still moving.

The only thing I have heard is to keep the plasma color away from the super-bright settings and break it in during the first 1000 hours. I downloaded an ISO that I burned to DVD. It ran through the entire color spectrum over and over.

I have had zero burnin issues.

Plasma Breakin DVD Here

Burn this to DVD and run it to break in your plasma display for the first 1000 hours. Yes, you can use the TV. Just play the DVD when not watching.

The link should be here:

Evangelos Angelides - Home

I pop it monthly or so too. Can't hurt.

Many Plasma TVs have a burn-in saver feature that is similar to this. It makes the TV display a light gray almost white screen (Really "TV white" --all the colors at equal intensity). My owners manual tells me to use this as needed if burn-in is noticed. It also tells me NOT to use any burn-in DVDs because all that is doing is using up display screen hours and depending on the DVD it may not go through the full range of colors properly causing the picture to slightly shift in color.

See ya
Tony

I love my LG. After ten minutes of no change in the picture the TV CUTS OFF!!! I never have to worry about the other half walking out of the room to do something and forgetting that the plasma was paused. Of course she thought it was broken the first time!!! Of course the HR20 has a screen saver. I've had the LG for a year now without one problem.

The burn-in issue is really overstated. YES there is a possibility of burn-in with plasma TVs if you have a static picture with high contrast on for long periods of time (more than a few minutes). I've had images paused on my plasma for as long as 10 minutes with no problems, but I generally choose low contrast moments to paus my screen.

Black bars on the sides are an issue. Use gray bars or :):shudder::) stretch the image to fill the screen if you really dislike gray bars to prevent that burn-in.

Otherwise there is absolutely NOTHING to worry about with plasmas and DVRs

See ya
Tony

Tony,
Alot of the current plasmas no longer allow for Black bars, only grey, I believe my Pioneer is only grey as well.

Jimbo

Burn this to DVD and run it to break in your plasma display for the first 1000 hours. Yes, you can use the TV. Just play the DVD when not watching.

The link should be here:

Evangelos Angelides - Home

I pop it monthly or so too. Can't hurt.

1000 hours ???

You sure it's not first 100 hours ?
Thats the normal time for a plasma to be adjusted for normal use.

Jimbo

Tony,
Alot of the current plasmas no longer allow for Black bars, only grey, I believe my Pioneer is only grey as well.

Jimbo

My Hitachi has a setting to give you black bars, but the moment you change the aspect or turn the TV off, it will default back to gray until you go through the menus again. The manual says the feature is there, but not to use it more than 15% of your viewing. It was kind of like my first Jeep Wrangler owners manual that had a page and a half of why you SHOULDN'T put the wind shield down EVER followed by the 1 page iof nstructions constantly noting the previous 3 pages on how to do so. :)

See ya
Tony

Vizio 50" Plasma and HR20-700 here and no problems to report either. The screen saver is great, but even with that, like a previous poster mentioned, I usually try very hard to pause during that fade out to black/fade in from black segment between commercials and regular programming. If not available, go for low contrast periods of display time.

Not sure that the Vizio is "high end" enough to have the pixel-shifting feature some newer/nicer set offer, but hasn't been a problem. And thankfully, my HD-DVD player has a image darkening feature whereby if the scene is paused for more than 5-10 minutes, the brightness/contrast/color saturation of the paused scene is reduced by at least half. This helps cut down on burn-in too.

My old 52" RCA RPTV was plagued by burn-in issues when I had the E* HD-DVR. Not sure if this still happens, but on the model I had, if you paused the scene, the progress bar on the bottom would stay on the screen until you pressed play again. No matter the show, that darn progress bar was always there, and it quickly burned itself onto the screen. The HR20's progress bar is only on the screen for about 30 seconds when pausing and disappears within 5 seconds after pressing play.

For those interested, the way to get rid of the progress bar on the Dish DVR is to press the skip forward or skip backward button once. It will move the picture one frame and remove the bar. If you don't do that, you could have a burn-in issue like apt1313 did.

See ya
Tony

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)