DVR/PVR without subscriptions hassel

whicky1978

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Oct 26, 2005
Clarksville, Tennessee
Is there a PVR/DVR without the subscription hassel that I can use just like a vcr? I just want a devise that can record lots of hours of TV. Should I opt for a DVD burner instead?

I have a vcr, but it can only record in LP and SLP, so its either 2 hours or 6 hours, and the 6 hours records terribly. Maybe I should get a better VCR? Is there a VCR tapes that hold more than 2 hours of LP?

A DVD recorder would do the trick but I it gets old quick. I had one and found it to be a pain in the rear to use.

I'd spring for a Tivo with a lifetime sub. Maybe even a Tivo with an integrated DVD burner such as the units from Humax if a burner is desired.

The stand alone 40 hour Tivos are readily available for $50 after the rebate and the hard drive is fairly trivial to upgrade if more recording time is desired.

I have a 140 hour Tivo and I just ordered a 40 hour Tivo to have as a second unit (two recordings at once). I plan to upgrade the hard drive on the new 40 hour unit pretty much out of the box.

If you are PC savy, MythTV would be perfect for you. No subscription, record time is only limited to how much hard drive you throw at it, and it's pretty much customizable to do whatever you want it to.

These guys are kind of goofy but the video shows off MythTV pretty nicely:

http://revision3.com/systm/mythtv/

The problems with the lifetime subscriptions is that it is only for the lifetime of the TiVo, not your actual lifetime. If TiVo ever folds, all you will have is this brick that does nothing (assuming Tivo series 2).

Shawn said:
A DVD recorder would do the trick but I it gets old quick. I had one and found it to be a pain in the rear to use.

More so than a VCR? I re-use my vcr tapes until they are worn out. I would probably buy rewritable DVD's.

Also, I could collect DVD's of my favorite shows like DS9 or CSI.

Replay, it takes a sub... but they have ethernet ports built in and you can network with other replays to save your programs with pc's and stream from. and you can easily burn dvds from the saved mpegs... plus if you miss a program you can usually have another Replay owner "send" it to your unit...And you can add Hard Drives very easily.

As far as I'm concerned - yes, more so than a VCR.

The Tivos with the Integrated DVD burners setup a Tivo-like menu system that acts like the 'Now Playing' list on the Tivo itself.

The Media Center PC might work out for you but the interface sucks compared to a Tivo / Replay. I have very limited expericence with Windows Media center but what i've seen so far isn't particularly impressive. MythTV is the best I've seen in a PC based solution.

Definately check out Replay as well. I decided to go the Tivo route and don't regret it. I'm able to connect to my Tivo across the network, transfer shows to and from my PC to the Tivo, and make DVDs from the Tivo recordings.

The only think Tivo doesn't do that I wish it did was be aware of other Tivos on the network and resolve scheduling conflicts by having an availalble Tivo grab the recording. I think Replay might be able to do this. The standalone Tivos can also only record one program at a time :(.

I still think a DVD-R / Tivo such as this one is the way to go for you. With a lifetime sub that's a $500 pill to swallow so I don't blame you for checking out alternatives.

Shawn

Tivos lifetime sub is only 299 dollars not 500 that's Satellite radio. If you use tivo for more than 2 years the lifetime has paid for itself and it's basically free after that. My boss had his unit die and tivo transferred his lifetime sub to the new box.

skidog said:
Tivos lifetime sub is only 299 dollars not 500 that's Satellite radio. If you use tivo for more than 2 years the lifetime has paid for itself and it's basically free after that. My boss had his unit die and tivo transferred his lifetime sub to the new box.
$500 was for a Humax 80 hour DVD Recorder Tivo + the lifetime sub, after the rebate.

I just picked up a new 40 hour stand alone S2 for $3.55 after the rebate and some Dell coupons :cool: .

I'm debating whether to lifetime sub the #2 Tivo... I probly will.

Shawn

I may be totally clueless here, but why do you have to "subscribe" to Tivo if you just want to use it as a VCR-like device? For instance, in my situation I have an HD receiver to receive local channels, but would like to be able to hook it up (by DVI preferable) to some kind of HD DVR to be able to record HD local networks to watch later. I don't need any program guides or anything like that - I basically only need a hard drive to dump the shows and I can figure out what they are on my own.

The receiver doesn't have a firewire output - if it did I'd probably go straight to PC, but that's not an option here. I'd basically have to use the DVI output. And a DVD recorder won't work since that won't record in HD...I can use my cable DVR to record the shows in SD, but I don't have HD locals on cable yet.

puck71 said:
I may be totally clueless here, but why do you have to "subscribe" to Tivo if you just want to use it as a VCR-like device? For instance, in my situation I have an HD receiver to receive local channels, but would like to be able to hook it up (by DVI preferable) to some kind of HD DVR to be able to record HD local networks to watch later. I don't need any program guides or anything like that - I basically only need a hard drive to dump the shows and I can figure out what they are on my own.
The subscription is for the guide info / software updates. The latter is agruable but I don't think you'll get updates without a sub. The current Tivos are doorstops without a sub. The the older ones would let you do manual recordings if I recall correctly.

It's kind of moot for you as there isn't a standalone Tivo that'll record HD right now anyways :(.

puck71 said:
The receiver doesn't have a firewire output - if it did I'd probably go straight to PC, but that's not an option here. I'd basically have to use the DVI output. And a DVD recorder won't work since that won't record in HD...I can use my cable DVR to record the shows in SD, but I don't have HD locals on cable yet.
You're best bet is a DVHS deck and I believe it will record HD via component output. Your other option is to wait for your cable co to offer HD & a HD DVR.

Shawn

whicky1978 said:
Is there a PVR/DVR without the subscription hassel that I can use just like a vcr? I just want a devise that can record lots of hours of TV. Should I opt for a DVD burner instead?

I have a vcr, but it can only record in LP and SLP, so its either 2 hours or 6 hours, and the 6 hours records terribly. Maybe I should get a better VCR? Is there a VCR tapes that hold more than 2 hours of LP?

Check out DVD Recorders with Hard Drives........ they'll do what you want without a Sub. Hassle ! Not that difficult to operate either.

Check this :
((( CLICK ))))

Some Recorders HERE

Shawn95GT said:
Your other option is to wait for your cable co to offer HD & a HD DVR.
I already have an HD DVR, but they don't offer my local affiliates in HD yet, so I have to use an antenna and separate receiver to watch them.

The DVD Recorder with hard drive would probably be a good option, but they're expensive! Are there any DVD recorders with a hard drive, component inputs, firewire outputs, that don't require any kind of subscription? I'm trying to search for some but I'm wondering if anyone has seen or used one like that.

puck71 said:
I already have an HD DVR, but they don't offer my local affiliates in HD yet, so I have to use an antenna and separate receiver to watch them.

The DVD Recorder with hard drive would probably be a good option, but they're expensive! Are there any DVD recorders with a hard drive, component inputs, firewire outputs, that don't require any kind of subscription? I'm trying to search for some but I'm wondering if anyone has seen or used one like that.
That link that Dougruss gave has a few.

I'd see if you can play with one in the store to get a feel for the interface. I found it to be quite kludge.

Shawn

I have a Zenith hard drive DVR that records OTA only. It will record approx. 8 hours of HD programming that is just as good as watching live. It will not record from cable or satellite, but that was not my goal. Just wanted to be able to timeshift network shows when there are schedule conflicts. Since it is not a Tivo or Replay device, there is no monthly fee. I use it just like a VCR and skip thru commercials. This recorder is no longer made for whatever reason, but I was lucky enough to find mine on ebay for less than $300. I have seen recently that someone else came out with one, but cannot remember who. Maybe Sony. Cost was also very high. As I remember - $800. If you would like the Zenith Model #, I would be glad to look it up for you. You can probably find one somewhere.

Shawn95GT said:

I'd see if you can play with one in the store to get a feel for the interface. I found it to be quite kludge.

Shawn
I can't really find a good way to find out exactly what inputs and outputs all these recorders have. I would definitely want a firewire OUTPUT and a component INPUT, and possibly others as well. Do DVD recorders generally not have any outputs (other than the DVD)? What are you supposed to do with HD content you stored on the hard drive?

Shawn95GT said:

Shawn
I can't really find a good way to find out exactly what inputs and outputs all these recorders have. I would definitely want a firewire OUTPUT and a component INPUT, and possibly others as well. Do DVD recorders generally not have any outputs (other than the DVD)? What are you supposed to do with HD content you stored on the hard drive?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts