DVR/PVR without subscriptions hassel

Yeah, but ideally I would want to connect the outputs to my PC for playback or archival, since HD content can't be stored on DVD. And this output would probably have to be firewire since DVI/HDMI or Component inputs for a PC are cost-prohibitive.

puck71 said:
Yeah, but ideally I would want to connect the outputs to my PC for playback or archival, since HD content can't be stored on DVD. And this output would probably have to be firewire since DVI/HDMI or Component inputs for a PC are cost-prohibitive.
You can save HD content to DVD... it just won't be HD :).

Shawn

My solution:

HD PVR is a LG LST-3410a with an easy upgrade to a 300GB hard drive - just swap it out (it comes with a 120gig HD standard). The LG unit has ATSC and NTSC tuners built in. If you live in an area with no OTA reception, it also has a QAM tuner that can tune unscrambled (usually the big 4 networks) channels via basic cable. Built in EPG goes out 7+ days. I archive HD material to a JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS via firewire. SD material goes to my Magnavox MRV660 DVD recorder via its (rare) component inputs at 480i. No subscription fees (other than basic cable if you need it) whatsoever for this set-up and the total cost of the equipment is less than $1k if you shop around.

You can just barly fit 1 hour shows on a DL dvd, if it wasn't for commericals. Fox stuff will fit fine since 720p takes up less space ans also Fox has crappy bitrate.

roachxp said:
You can just barly fit 1 hour shows on a DL dvd, if it wasn't for commericals. Fox stuff will fit fine since 720p takes up less space ans also Fox has crappy bitrate.
I'm just looking to watch shows I miss during the day. Can I fit more if I watch a medium quality video? Do older shows like DS9 use less memory?

I may just need to get a better VCR. My VCR does not record SLP 6hr mode like it should. The tape is crappy when I try to watch it and it won't hardly play if it plays at all. I don't have the 4hr option. Do they make vhs tapes with more than 6 hours? I've been using RCA tapes, I thought they would be good.

I got a CyberHome DVD-R/RW. I just have to get it set up. I plan to use it like a vcr to watch my favorite shows like DS9. The quality is not important as long as its "viewable".

whicky1978 said:
I got a CyberHome DVD-R/RW. I just have to get it set up. I plan to use it like a vcr to watch my favorite shows like DS9. The quality is not important as long as its "viewable".
That's the same make as the one I have (CH-DVR1500).

I hope it works out good for you.

When mine worked it worked really well for VHS --> DVD conversions when I wanted to be lazy about it. I wasn't real happy with the quality recording from cable tv with it.

Mine rolled over dead when I moved. I have no idea why.

Shawn

Shawn95GT said:
That's the same make as the one I have (CH-DVR1500).

I hope it works out good for you.

When mine worked it worked really well for VHS --> DVD conversions when I wanted to be lazy about it. I wasn't real happy with the quality recording from cable tv with it.

Mine rolled over dead when I moved. I have no idea why.

Shawn

I have a CH-DVR1200

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts