DVR (thru Comcast) vs DvD Recorder

Piratefan98

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 20, 2006
Hi,

Please excuse the novice nature of my question ......

I'd like to be able to record programming, and currently subscribe to Comcast Digital cable plus their HD lineup. My question is, is it better to sign up for their DVR service using their leased machine, or can my recording instead be accomplished by just buying a DVD recorder/player.

The thing I'm uncertain of is how the connection would work for a DVD recorder. Looking at the back of my current Comcast Digital Cable box, I don't see an obviouls output that would go to the recorder, and I'm guessing the signal first has to come from there (the cable box), since that's where all the digital and HD channels are decoded, prior to being sent to any DVD recorder that I might buy.

Any thoughts on which the best route would be ..... DVR thru Comcast, or just buying a DVD recorder.

Thanks!
Jeff

You won't get any HD with the DVD recorder. The back of your cable box has some analog outputs that you would connect the DVD the recorder. That would be left and right audio (red and white) a video (yellow). If you want to archive programming a DVD recorder would be best. If all you want to do is watch programming at a later time, and zip through commercials, go for the Comcast DVR.

I have both, DVD-R for archiveing and extra time shifting, DVR for bulk of timeshifting. To be honest, DVD-R is rarely used. I do not have HD TV, however if I did only the DVR would be able to record HD programing.

I've used my standalone DVD recorder for recording live TV a grand total of one time. DVRs are low maintenance, you have pretty much instant access to your recordings, and they're integrated so you don't need another stb if you have digital cable.

For everyday, temporary HD recordings, a DVR is probably the best option. You can archive HD to a computer (depending on Comcast's copy protection settings for each HD channel) or spring for a D-VHS recorder.

There's actually a fair number of pvr's w/ dvd recordability at walmart of all places. Granted they aren't as robust as a tivo but they should do a number of stations.

you might have to run it like this

coaxel in a splitter...one to the pvr one to the tv

assign the pvr as say input one for the tv

hook up inputs to the tv from the pvr (therefore input one is the pvr...if it has a tuner then you can see whatever is on the tuner)

then you hook up some av cables from the output the cable box to the input of the pvr (to get stations you might not get on the tuner of the pvr)

I did this for a bit and it worked somewhat well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts