EA: What's the point?

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
Ok, so I'm about a month into my new life as a Dish Network customer. I've been active here for a while as a DirecTV customer but have picked up some Dish knowledge over the years. When I ordered Dish, my confirmation email from Dish said I'd be getting an Eastern Arc dish, since I live in Birmingham, AL; an EA market. However when the installer came, he installed a Western Arc dish. His work order even said Western Arc to be installed.

So, what is the point of EA if they are still putting new customers on WA? It's not a line of sight issue, as I have no trees for hundreds of yards. Do they plan to ever stop duplicating EA markets on WA? That's the only way WA makes sense. And if they do, switching all of the WA customers who should've been on EA all along is going to be expensive.

Most markets are not duplicated on both arcs. Mine is not. Even NY (HD) is not.

According to "The List" my HD locals are on 61.5 and 129. EA SD is on 61.5 and WA SD is on 110.

So I'm assuming still installing WA dishes in EA markets is not standard practice?

I'm not complaining or being picky, I don't really care which one they use as long as I get my channels. I'm just curious as to why they're doing it that way. Seems they could free up lots of space if they didn't duplicate some markets.

Last edited:
Whether a market is EA or WA is determined by where the locals are located, not so much by physical location.

Subscribers in your market are fortunate that they have options.

Whether a market is EA or WA is determined by where the locals are located, not so much by physical location.

Subscribers in your market are fortunate that they have options.

Yes, but from what I've read this market is designated as an EA market. The locals were on WA before there was an EA, and I assume that's why they're still on 129. But if this is designated an EA market, why would they keep putting customers on WA? Would it not make sense to put new customers on EA, and as people move/churn/upgrade move existing customers to EA so that you can then free up space on WA?

Some people with trees or mountains may not be able to see a specific arc. By having locals on both arcs give the installer more options for getting the best line of sight of the sat. Here in Pensacola our locals are on both 61.5 and 129. The reason is that there was extra spot beam space that no other city needed, so Dish uploaded locals to both arcs. Just be glad.

When I signed up with Dish, in May 2009, the Birmingham market was designated as EA. I can remember reading on here a while back a post by Scott that Dish had moved Birmingham and Atlanta and about 14 or do other cities to the WA for default installs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts