East Coast Satellite Image

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
NOAA 15 made a pass overhead around 6:45 am, got this view of East coast from the bird. Nice and clear, clouds are offshore.

Attachments

• NOAA15071615maponly.jpg
    NOAA15071615maponly.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 216
Hi fred555, just using an old Radio Shack discone antenna mounted on the chimney.

Attachments

• discone1.JPG
    discone1.JPG
    844.3 KB · Views: 221
Excellent because that's exactly what I have. I need to mount it on my workshop soon.
Are you using a dongle or something more exotic?

Nothing exotic at all, just a $13 dongle. Using narrowband FM on SDR# and WXtoIMG software with Virtual Cable software to feed audio from SDR# to WXtoIMG.

Nothing exotic at all, just a $13 dongle. Using narrowband FM on SDR# and WXtoIMG software with Virtual Cable software to feed audio from SDR# to WXtoIMG.

I'm good to go because that is my exact setup. I just need to mount the antenna, outside, on my workshop.

Reactions: spongella
To make it more interesting you can track the satellite on N2YO or Satview and see at what elevation you see the signal and hear the audio tones.

I found there are times that I can hear the audio tones before the signal shows up on the water fall.

I also have the Orbitron plugin for SDRsharp so I can have Obitron take care of the Doppler tuning.

Happy Satellite hunting.

Reactions: spongella
Spent time today checking out the best Antenna for NOAA satellites. I have a 2 Meter J-pole on the roof, an in the attic Diamond Discone and an home brew Quadfilar antenna, that I set up in the back yard as needed. So far The Quadfilar works the best.

07040807B.png Quadfilar.jpg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts