eBay Voom Receivers

John317

Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Has anyone bought any receivers from eBay and had success getting Voom to give a subscription?

I bought one on ebay, just to take it apart and look inside.

I knew it could not be subscribed (I also kept the second remote).

riffjim4069 said:
No one ever has and, unless VOOM changes their activation policy, no one every will.
Actually with only 25k subs, allowing some degree of piracy would be an ingenius way to let people see or try Voom. Think about it, Voom is gasping for life here in my opinion.

As I said before, I have two recveivers someone can have cheap... but it's entirely on you to ge them activated!

MP - How's $20 shipped for an STB, card and remote? ;)

Later,
Bill

its stupid to say that if one is buying a used voom receiver they are pirating it, the person still has to call up and subscribe a pirate person wouldn't need to even call in they activate it themselves.

still if you buy a piece of a equipment you should have the right to sell it, voom is denying ones right, say you want to upgrade to the PVR version in the future do you have to trash your other equipment cause voom won't activate it to the used buyer?

weagle said:
...still if you buy a piece of a equipment you should have the right to sell it, voom is denying ones right,....

They did not force anyone to buy them, correct? Even the early adopters who bought them more expensive than anyone had the chance to lease. If you bought them, there was a chance that they could become paperweight at some point (when no one knew their current policy of not activating them). There is also a possibility that the policy may be reverse. But who knows. the point is that no one was force into buying.

If Voom wants to eliminate or reduce pirating with the "no activation of used equipment" policy, they should have changed there business plan to "lease only". Since they are a new company, buying equipment and going the "no activation of used equipment" route may have been done to reduce costs for the company.

We lease our equipment because competitive satellite providers have a track record for introducing new equipment every few years AND we wanted to keep the door open for DVR.

If the DVR every does get released, it will be interesting to see if Voom gives us the option to buy or goes lease only.

Dvr

Yeah i would like to see if they would lease it also i know you could buy it but how much will it cost. :D

you know what is funny by voom doing this they have devalued their equipment, so the only way a person is going to get his receiver activated is through pirating means so in other words voom is giving the pirate the opportunity to buy cheap equipment which is pathetic, if they had let people subbed their unit they wouldn't allow pirates buying cheap equipment.

Sean Mota said:
They did not force anyone to buy them, correct? Even the early adopters who bought them more expensive than anyone had the chance to lease. If you bought them, there was a chance that they could become paperweight at some point (when no one knew their current policy of not activating them). There is also a possibility that the policy may be reverse. But who knows. the point is that no one was force into buying.

Sean I don't agree completely. First, I don't think charter members were notified that their equipment could never be re-activated if they decided to sell it. This was certainly not indicated in the service agreement and VOOM originally was not even going to let charter members switch to the lease option. Second, if every other satellite company allows people to sell their used equipment and will re-activate it (for a fee) then why should we have expected VOOM to be different. I think the test is "could a person reasonably expect that they could sell a purchased VOOM receiver to a person who wanted to become a VOOM subscriber" I would say that was a reasonable expectation.

Last night I emailed a few of the people who had purchased used VOOM receivers on ebay to ask them how they got the equipment activated - only three replied - one guy said he had lined up an VOOM dealer willing to do the install/activation before he made the purchase. Another guy was mad about the purchase and the third guy bought it for spare parts.

jnardone said:
Last night I emailed a few of the people who had purchased used VOOM receivers on ebay to ask them how they got the equipment activated - only three replied - one guy said he had lined up an VOOM dealer willing to do the install/activation before he made the purchase. Another guy was mad about the purchase and the third guy bought it for spare parts.

Once I emailed an ebay seller about the Voom boxes he was selling. I already had voom but was curious about the boxes. I asked if he knew if Voom would activate them. His response was something like "It sure would be wierd if Voom didn't activate the boxes, nobody has told me otherwise and I have had no complaints." Kind of shows you just how easily some people can lie just to take your money, a good eye opener.

--Dan

Wow, there's lots of Voom boxes on eBay. They're cheap too, under $50. Probably worth it for the remote and extra cables. Too bad Voom won't activate them.

-John

weagle said:
its stupid to say that if one is buying a used voom receiver they are pirating it, the person still has to call up and subscribe a pirate person wouldn't need to even call in they activate it themselves.

still if you buy a piece of a equipment you should have the right to sell it, voom is denying ones right, say you want to upgrade to the PVR version in the future do you have to trash your other equipment cause voom won't activate it to the used buyer?
I wasnt saying that anyone buying a reciever is a pirate. My post was considering the fact that VOOM will NOT activate those recievers and the only way to use them would be through pirating. But now since they are going to NDS security on the cards they are truly useless as no one has figured out how to pirate that yet.

dankgus said:
Once I emailed an ebay seller about the Voom boxes he was selling. I already had voom but was curious about the boxes. I asked if he knew if Voom would activate them. His response was something like "It sure would be wierd if Voom didn't activate the boxes, nobody has told me otherwise and I have had no complaints." Kind of shows you just how easily some people can lie just to take your money, a good eye opener.

--Dan
As long as Voom is not activating them I feel Ebay is as guilty as the sellers. Damn right they know Voom wont activate. Why else would they be 10-50 bucks???

OTA with Ebay receivers

I was wondering if it possible to receive the local OTA HD channels without subscribing to voom. I am looking for a cheap way to get the local HD until I decide what service I would like to subscribe to. I have a Sony HD ready tv set with DVI and paying 50 dollars for a voom receiver would be better than paying 150+ for a Samsung OTA receiver.

Thing is that if I could have bought the boxes cheap on Ebay or elsewhere I would have done so. I then would have swapped out my E* boxes, adjusted the existing DISH and called VOOM to activate the boxes.

VOOM would then have a new paying sub but would not have to lay out the cost for providing leased boxes or installation.

I have taken them up on their $1 install deal which is hard to beat for 3 rooms. At the same time, it is costing them a lot of money to sign me up that they could have otherwise avoided. As is, it seems that their current policy makes used STB's valuable ONLY to pirates.

From the info I have heard from an installer the STB's on ebay are stollen. If they are new and never activated then they were obtained illegally. The only way a STB goes out from Voom is if a installer has a customer ready to hook up and Voom sends the box out to the installer. If the installer does not get them it means he has to answer for it and show proof it was not delivered by UPS. Hey "T" can you substantiate essentially what I have stated here as the truth since I heard this from you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)