Echostar 15 launch update

Some other interesting information about E-15. First, it appears to be exactly like E-11 in that it can provide all 32 TPs at a DBS slot in double power mode or 19 TPs in triple power mode. I assume this was done to speed up the build up of E-15 since the design would require few changes but it does leave somewhat of a problem for Dish. E-12 can provide 13 TPs at 61.5 W but only 12 in spotbeam mode. So if Dish wants to use E-15 fully in triple power mode than either E-12 is going to have to pick up some CONUS slack or E-3 is going to have to provide it. Otherwise a few CONUS TPs from E-15 will have to be provided in only double power mode. Dish could also just not use a single TP at 61.5 W. We may get some clues from the downlink report during the testing of E-15.

Indeed, that was one of the more interesting pieces of the launch broadcast, that it was essentially a rebuild of E11. E15 was ordered just a few weeks after AMC-14 was determined to be a loss, so I guess that is what sped up the design. I also believe it has an antenna for use in the Western Arc so in the future it can serve there easily. Wouldn't be surprised if it was essentially the E11 footprint there. I do wonder if E16 will have some CONUS capacity that might enable triple power on all E15 TPs while not wasting space.

Since Dish does only have STA on TP 23, I guess they could leave it empty, or as has been said, leaving some on only double power QPSK. Some people do need them, as 61.5 still carries some internationals, and some people that get them still probably have legacy equipment. But having E12 carry a CONUS TP in lieu expanding HD LiL would be more of a mistake than just letting a TP go empty.

The STA TPs are pretty safe. The FCC would finally have to get around to auctioning them off, and if someone else wanted to provide service they would need a satellite, not an easy thing to come by. In any case Dish would have plenty of notice, probably more than the time it woudl take for them to launch their E12 replacement.

if E12 continues to carry its share of the load there is no need for E15 to carry more than 19 Tps. If E15 has to carry some of what may be normally perceived as E12 ConUS activity, Double power is not so bad and should be an improvement over E3.
What programming can be moved or added to E15 that would be useful and not redundant to Puerto Rico?

Dish has STAs for both TPs 23 and 24 but on E-12 only TP 23 has spotbeam capability. As previously posted, Dish can use 33 spotbeam TPs on TPs 17, 19, 21 and 23 over the 16 spots it currently uses on E-12. TPs 19 and 23 can both carry 9 spotbeam TPs each and TPs 17 and 21 can carry 7 and 8 spotbeam TPs respectively. This doesn't take in to consideration in what spots Dish can really use additionaly spotbeam TPs.

It has been speculated in other posts that Dish could add back some of the international programming to 61.5 W with the extra CONUS TPs. Now if this programming was added in MPEG-4, I believe Dish might be able to add all of it back and still temporarily leave the current MPEG-2 international programming there until Dish can convert anyone getting international programming off of 61.5 W to MPEG-4 equipment. Other options at 61.5 W could be the dish Latino package, full time RSNs or significantly viewed locals where the E-12 spotbeams don't cover the needed area. Obviously if Dish starts WA conversion to 8PSK or MPEG-4 then more national HD could be added.

How many E12 spotbeam Tps are restricted to use outside the EA?
Conversion of WA is not likely to provide much ConUS for years without a massive upheaval. They need to start with a few local markets at a time.
Not sure if DiSH Latino channels are licensed for Puerto Rico? Maybe better placed on Nimiq 5 and move some core to E15 from Nimiq 5?

How many E12 spotbeam Tps are restricted to use outside the EA?
Conversion of WA is not likely to provide much ConUS for years without a massive upheaval. They need to start with a few local markets at a time.
Not sure if DiSH Latino channels are licensed for Puerto Rico? Maybe better placed on Nimiq 5 and move some core to E15 from Nimiq 5?

E-12 was designed with 131 spotbeam TPs in 22 spots. Dish does not use 5 spots out west and the one spot that covers Maine. There are 29 spotbeam TPs for the 5 spots out west and another 5 spotbeam TPs for the Maine spot which represents a little over 25% of the total number of spotbeam TPs on E-12. Dish not using these spotbeam TPs might provide enough power savings to overcome the solar array failures on E-12.

TLE: Wed 2:20 am MDT

19694 X 35102 KM

Inclination: 4.48 degrees

Have not been updating TLE's that did not change orbit.

Thanks for the updates nelson61! Looks like they are right on track for the plans of 7/21 IOT and 8/3 phase 1 transfer.

Or, heck, it is pretty close now. It has already drifted past 61.5 since the last update. Maybe another day to get it in the box. 7 days from launch to GEO at the proper longitude. That has to be some kind of record.

I bet DirecTV would not have even bothered to fire the thrusters yet.:D

Dish has STAs for both TPs 23 and 24 but on E-12 only TP 23 has spotbeam capability. As previously posted, Dish can use 33 spotbeam TPs on TPs 17, 19, 21 and 23 over the 16 spots it currently uses on E-12. TPs 19 and 23 can both carry 9 spotbeam TPs each and TPs 17 and 21 can carry 7 and 8 spotbeam TPs respectively. This doesn't take in to consideration in what spots Dish can really use additionaly spotbeam TPs.

It has been speculated in other posts that Dish could add back some of the international programming to 61.5 W with the extra CONUS TPs. Now if this programming was added in MPEG-4, I believe Dish might be able to add all of it back and still temporarily leave the current MPEG-2 international programming there until Dish can convert anyone getting international programming off of 61.5 W to MPEG-4 equipment. Other options at 61.5 W could be the dish Latino package, full time RSNs or significantly viewed locals where the E-12 spotbeams don't cover the needed area. Obviously if Dish starts WA conversion to 8PSK or MPEG-4 then more national HD could be added.

It would be great if we had Full-time HD RSN's and more premium HD channels on both 129 [WA] and 61.5/? [EA]. Offer something that FiOS (HD Sports channels) or D* doesn't have (National HD and HD premium channels) and hopefully offer an MRV solution and/or Sling (if relatively cheap <$200 and <=$3/mo.) If DISH doesn't offer Full-time HD RSN's, they will lose even more of their -local- sports fan base when they can't offer Sox/Cubs games in HD on CSN Chicago and CSN Plus, and Cards games on FSN Midwest. Realize too that they need to offer PBS channels in half their markets too, like D* already does.

Last edited:
TLE Friday 7/16 12PM MDT

36790 X 35806 KM

Average 12 km below GEO

Inclination : 0.04 degrees

Eccentric E/W caused Oscillation: 0.02 degrees
Inclination E/W caused Oscillation : 0.02 degrees

Longitude : 62.3 degrees W

Oscillation is within the 0.05 +/- station keeping requirements for broadcast.

When it completes drift to 61.55W station keeping center point , it will be on station.

Echostar has received approval to test but not commercially operate Transponder 23 (application to operate transponder 23 is pending).

Echostar had modified their transponder 23 testing application by supplemental letter to reduce the requested test period from 60 to 30 days commencing on July 10 (granted).

TLE: ~ 2 AM MDT Monday 7/19/210

35788 x 35802 km

+ 9 km from GEO

Eccentric Longitude oscillation : 0.02 degrees

Inclination Longitude oscillation 0.07 degrees

Inclination: 0.07 degrees

Longitude: 61.5 degrees West(current)

61.5 puts it in the edge of the 61.5-61.6 operating box.

9 days from launch and now one can expect to see transponder testing begin

So, perhaps it is time for everyone to record their pre-E15 signal strengths. Should be able to do it during initial testing, as I doubt Dish will make the testing signals lockable by basic receiver, and they will probably start with inactive TPs.

Many of us did this a year or so ago, but could probably use updating. Plus, that focus was E12. This one should focus on CONUS, as that is what is being replaced:

slightly overcast
Dish 500, with single LNB, no I adapter.

2: 43
4: 53
8: 57
10: 48
14: 66
19: 57*
20: 52
21: 50*
22: 52
24: 68
25: 53
27: 50
28: 50**
29: 59
30: 54
31: 52

Missing TPs are either in spotbeam mode, or are inactive.
*TPs 19 and 21 are capable of spotbeam mode, but currently being used as CONUS
** TheList indicates no programming, but I do have a lockable signal.

TLE: ~ 2 AM MDT Monday 7/19/210

35788 x 35802 km

+ 9 km from GEO

Eccentric Longitude oscillation : 0.02 degrees

Inclination Longitude oscillation 0.07 degrees

Inclination: 0.07 degrees

Longitude: 61.5 degrees West(current)

61.5 puts it in the edge of the 61.5-61.6 operating box.

9 days from launch and now one can expect to see transponder testing begin

I'm still learning all of this so please forgive my naiveness, but what does GEO stand for?
Thanks,
Ghpr13:)

The E-15 testing could also show what E-12 is currently capable of as well including it's spotbeams. Dish could move the locals on the spotbeam TPs currently being by E-12 to CONUS TPs temporarily or they could light up the currently unused spotbeam TPs.

Wish the FCC would let Dish use TP 23 for programming until they award it permanently to someone. Of course Dish suing the FCC over the PBS issue with STELA is not making any friends over at the FCC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts