EchoStar Announces Conference Call for First Quarter 2009 Financial Results

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

EchoStar Corporation will host its first quarter 2009 financial results conference call on Monday, May 11, 2009, at 1:00 p.m. ET. The dial-in number is (877) 500-5931.

EchoStar's press release about its financial results will be distributed prior to the conference call. The press release will be available at Echostar.com when selecting the Investor Relations tab.

I will predict their profits will down slightly from the previous quarter and they will, for the first time in the last 2 quarters, not have a net loss of subs.

I think Profits will be down ,along with subs.
Too many times E* seems to be making customers mad.
I'm not too upset, But somethings have been bugging me a little lately. Mostly Tech support.

Profits up, net subs down, but not 100k down, 25k net loss of subs.
Profits up from last quarter? They did pretty well with profits last quarter, and if they cut their sub losses it will only eat into profits. I think profits will go down and they may actually have a net gain in subs.

Just so we are all clear hear, the press release the OP is talking about is Echostar; Dish Network (who will probably be talking about sub losses) will announce its quarterly figures one hour before, at Noon EST.

DISH Network - Investor Relations - 1.888.825.2557
You're absolutely correct, but it this point the two entitied are so closely related it's hard to seperate them...especially the financials.

I wonder what excuse Charlie will go with for the Dish results call? Hackers? Economy?

Profits up, net subs down, but not 100k down, 25k net loss of subs.
I am pretty sure the profits won't be up this quarter, but Charlie is a genius when it comes to the bottom line. To be honest, I think I am being conservative when I mentioned Dish Network losing 100K net subscribers. I just checked and Dish Network lost 102,000 customers during the 4th quarter and I have seen the same trend continue from January to March:

1. Long-time Dish Network customers are bailing - you see it here each week.
2. Verizon FiOS just announced adding a record 299,000 net adds during the 1st quarter - they now have more than 2.3 million subscribers and are adding customers as fast as they can shovel dirt and lay fiber.
3. AT&T added 284,000 new U-Verse customers - same as FiOS.
4. DirecTV is expected to announce strong numbers.
5. FiOS/U-Verse/Cable is grabbing E* customers through their cost effective Triple Play; DirecTV has partnerships with both AT&T and Verizon...E* does not.
6. Marketing, customer service and promotions have not improved (my opinion).
7. The economy is even suckier than in the past.

I just don't see Dish Network didn't manage to lose more than 100K customers. To be honest, I think "Turbo HD gold customers get hosed!!" pretty much sums up the problem. We shall see...

The Conference Call is for Echostar: still bad news for Echostar, but they will tout the recent signing of Wild Blue and talk optimistically about the new opportunities for its IPTV now that one competitor has dropped out of IPTV. Excess sat capacity will be blamed on "the economy," Charlie's favorite villain. But, they will say, represents future growth and will be more innovative about how the spectrum may be used/leased to potential customers. I bet they even mention the My DTV DVR (did I get the stupid name right?) "re-release" as an optimistic opportunity for the new DTV OTA deadline. But the numbers for this quarterly report: still bad. "Future looks good," they will say.

I am pretty sure the profits won't be up this quarter, but Charlie is a genius when it comes to the bottom line. To be honest, I think I am being conservative when I mentioned Dish Network losing 100K net subscribers. I just checked and Dish Network lost 102,000 customers during the 4th quarter and I have seen the same trend continue from January to March:

2. Verizon FiOS just announced adding a record 299,000 net adds during the 1st quarter - they now have more than 2.3 million subscribers and are adding customers as fast as they can shovel dirt and lay fiber.
5. FiOS/U-Verse/Cable is grabbing E* customers through their cost effective Triple Play; DirecTV has partnerships with both AT&T and Verizon...E* does not.

I just don't see Dish Network didn't manage to lose more than 100K customers. To be honest, I think "Turbo HD gold customers get hosed!!" pretty much sums up the problem. We shall see...

OK, so are you referring to net or gross losses? They lost 102k in Q4, but that does not count new subscribers. DirecTV also lost over 100k subs, just gained more.

I also don't see traditional cable pulling away many Dish subs.

I predict level profits, but subs down 20k net.

Bingo !!!! You hit it right on the head. There will be net losses of over 100k and they will show a profit. Our quarterly #'s are way down from Q4 and we do at least half of Dish's business in the western states.

I think they'll show a profit because they have been going around their dealer training forums talking about how solid financially they are right now. They seem to have a surplus of cash available.

OK, so are you referring to net or gross losses? They lost 102k in Q4, but that does not count new subscribers.
The 102K was a net subscriber loss and does include new subscribers. According to this post, we concluded that roughly 269,399 customers were leaving Dish Network each month during mid-2008 or 3,232,788 annually (estimates). Also, although the following information is dated in this post I pulled the information directly from Dish Network quarter reports and my predictions on their subscriber numbers have been pretty good. Also, the 102K net loss was for the entire year, with most of the losses occuring during the 4th quarter.

I just took a look at Dish Network's annual report and they reported their churn rate as 1.86% per month. In a nutshell, Dish Network is expecting to lose 3.114 million customers during 2009 at this current rate, so they must add at least that many customers to break even. With Verizon and AT&T adding almost 600K additional customers during the 1st quarter (these numbers are expected to continue during 2009), and DirecTV getting ready to post net gains, it doesn't look good for Dish Network.

Until about a two or three years ago E*/Dish had the best equipment, a good price point, and more HD than other services. Then it seemed to go down hill. It lost HD and sports battle to D* and I not sure anybody really understands the various Dish packages. At one time it look like (to me anyway) Dish was going to battle Directv. Now it seems (again to me) that its a company going nowhere. I'm been with them since 97 but the future does not seem bright for subs. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)