Edision Edison Mio Has No Signal

Agreed Mike. Very frustrating if you never used them before and think it's your fault. With no real way to test them.
Trying every little setting and thinking somewhere the magic will happen. Good thing at the same time I also bought a DISEqC 1x8. Good but bad when you absolutely need a 22 kHz switch.

Brian (Titanium) always said that the only 22khz switches that will work with a disque switch in line were the ecodas. I have had a few over the years since 2004. Do not do much anymore with FTA, but toneburst was always a problem with enigma images, To me, it was difficult to get the right settings.
This was mostly based on using starchoice lnbs that had a built-in 22khz switch

Mike,

Why are DISCEqC more desireable ?
Are they built better, more durable ?
Again I don’t know why my 22htz switch crapped out. I’ve always taken precautions, by unplugging my system before doing any work and lately I haven’t had to do anything, it just died. There were no T Storms in the area in months and no power surges either.
Its located inside my house away from any weather.

John

Mike,

Why are DISCEqC more desireable ?
Are they built better, more durable ?
Again I don’t know why my 22htz switch crapped out. I’ve always taken precautions, by unplugging my system before doing any work and lately I haven’t had to do anything, it just died. There were no T Storms in the area in months and no power surges either.
Its located inside my house away from any weather.

John
IMO, Diseqc switches are more flexible, (they are bi-directional) can control motors and other switches, and just work, every time. They aren't all that sensitive to voltage spikes either, and simple 22k tone switches are for sure. It's also REAL easy to fry a 22k switch, but not so easy to accidentally fry a Diseqc switch.

Reactions: JFOK
Each switch type has an application. In my experience with two port switching, I have found the opposite to be true. 22KHz switches are much more reliable. The decoding is simple, the tone is either present or not and the amplitude is not as critical as with modulated tone sensing for reliable DiSEqC switching.

Have performed hundreds of product development / evaluation tests and provided support for thousands of dual LNBF Glorystar systems through the years. Found the 22KHz switches to be less prone to failure, especially from exposure to lighting events and unbonded systems with voltage on ground.

Yes, the Ecoda 22KHz switches were close to bomb-proof and in my opinion, one of the best switches available.

I’ve had a few 22khz switches go tango uniform before and not sure why. I’m assuming water ingress over time even though I thought they were sealed pretty good. My experience is they kick the bucket after two or three years so like most other things keep spares on hand.

Reactions: JFOK