Edision OS Mio 4K firmware/OS

Indy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
May 13, 2004
Indiana
I have a Edison OS Mio 4k that malfunctioned lost the North America Project OS. I could not back up the OS and never did after I purchased. My bad, now I have to work this out. Out of frustration I did a factory reset, not smart. I still have the skin from the OS but the rest reverted back to the factory OS. Can I ship this back to have the North American Project OS reinstalled or does someone have a copy of the OS I could borrow? Thanks, Dennis

I purchased the unit through the forum here. Retailer, is it Titanium? Cant remember

Reactions: FTA4PA
I purchased the unit through the forum here. Retailer, is it Titanium? Cant remember
Brian will likely be glad to reflash it for you, but it's going to be pricey shipping it back and forth for something that can be done in 5 minutes by you. It's pretty easy to reflash it yourself with a USB pendrive. It has 4 slots, SO, flash all 4 of the slots. Then, IF this ever happens again to the slot you are using, it's really easy to boot into a working slot and recover the receiver. Instructions for all of this are right here on site, though the firmware itself is only available on the site of the TNAP developer, LegitFTA.

Here's the link right to the newest version of TNAP: TNAP-5 Images for Edision OSMio4k

Titanium

Reactions: norman881
I didn't know that TNAP 5 was available. Or is it still in beta?

TNAP would not install . I extracted all the files onto thumb drive, inserted into STB and did multiboot, held OK key down but does not take

TNAP would not install . I extracted all the files onto thumb drive, inserted into STB and did multiboot, held OK key down but does not take
Multiboot isn't the proper one, IF you can't get to the receivers slot menu to boot from. You need the USB version.

1. Unzip the folder osmio4k onto an empty FAT formatted USB thumb drive.

2. Open the folder and change the filename on one file from "noforce" to "force".

3. Remove the power cord from the OS mio 4K.

4. Insert the USB thumb drive into the OS mio 4K.

5. Attach the power cord and the TNAP image will be automatically installed as the main operating system (position 1 in multiboot).

6. When the OS mio 4K reboots, immediately unplug the USB from the STB. (Please note that if this thumbdrive is plugged into the STB with the osmio4k folder containing the file name "force", the image will automatically be installed when the STB is powered on!).

7. The OS mio 4K is now operating with TNAP image. You may now configure the settings and scan.

I must be missing something, went through all the un zipped files on the thgumbdrive and do not see a filename "noforce"
It won't be on the Multiboot download. You must download the USB one. It has a USB.zip extension up on the LegitFTA link I gave you above.

It's NOT the same as the multiboot one, so don't think you can fool it. Get the USB one.

Reactions: mc6809e and FTA4PA
It won't be on the Multiboot download. You must download the USB one. It has a USB.zip extension up on the LegitFTA link I gave you above.
I tried the USB version, the STB is not accepting the download. I will work with it today some more. I did change the file name to force.

I tried the USB version, the STB is not accepting the download. I will work with it today some more. I did change the file name to force.
Make sure the thumbdrive is formatted as FAT. And be sure to rename the noforce file to force.

Reactions: primestar31
I've been using TNAP5 for weeks. I recommend it. The Pluto feature gives convenient access through the Mio+ of the Pluto online offerings.
I installed the image on both of my osmio4k boxes. So far so good. But I had to go in via telnet to readd a user/group and change ownership of /home/<user> and add that user to the disk group and change the hostname on each box. Too bad those changes aren't persistent over each upgrade - they don't seem to be backed up either. I haven't messed with Pluto yet and I need to go through the menus to see if there's anything interesting for me.

I had a corrupted file, downloaded again, success . Totally different look to this Tnap build.
Fantastic!

Now you MUST install images in the other 3 slots, even IF you don't go any further than just to install them and confirm they work for video, seeing menus, etc.

Then, IF the image you are using ever gets corrupted again, you can reboot, and use the remote to FORCE it to start in a good slot. Then the corrupt slot image can be fixed online.

I made a post many years ago for the same reason as yours, and discovered the exact same thing back then. I know a few others have also had that problem and discovered it all over again. Learn from that, and be ready ahead of time.

OK, I give up, how do I change the date on the screen from Dec 31, 1969?

You don't have to manually change the date. The date/time gets updated automatically as soon as you are connected to the Internet.

Setup &gt; System &gt; Customize &gt; Time synchronization method ===&gt; Internet (ntp)