Effective Operating Distrance Between UHF Remote Control and Hopper/Joey...

Zeigh

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
Hello,

Has anyone experimented much with the effective operating distance between the remote control and Hopper/Joey using the UHF connection? In another thread here:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/314163-Unusual-Dish-Network-Installation-Configuration

...we started discussing this detail as it relates to my Hopper/Joey centrally located in a network closet and the rest of the household accessing them via HDMI-over-Cat6 wiring. With older Dish systems there was the ability to assign separate IR signals if you happened to have two units in one room. While I could instal a second IR zone in my configuration, the user would still need isolate the IR receiver depending on the Dish unit they wanted to control.

The Hopper/Joey can connect with a paired remote control via UHF. Because of this, I was thinking of connecting UFH antennas ($4.50 on eBay) to the coaxial jack in each room of my house, terminating all RG6 cables in the network closet, and then connecting them to the Hopper/Joey. In theory, this should work with even a room 120 feet of cable away. Any comments?

Once my Dish service is installed I will post back with my findings.

More Microchips Than Sense,
Dr. Z.

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
On reflection, I'm not sure more than one antenna per STB will work. Hopefully someone knowledgeable about this will post. Has anyone actually done this?

KAB

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 20, 2005
Fishers, IN
I'm not so sure you CAN"T assign separate IR codes, but I'm not enough versed to tell you how.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
Yep. Discussed before and I think put in as a desirable feature. Too late for that. Just address #1.

I'm looking forward to learning if say, three UHF antennas, each with a different length coax run, "triplexed" into the remote antenna port, works. And to what degree.

navychop

Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I think he wants to separate out a specific issue that might get some responses to help the overall problem.

Posted Using The New SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Zeigh

Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
Why another thread about the subject you already started???

For the sake of efficiency and as a courtesy to others who don't want to read all though a post on a separate subject. The first thread concerned overall configuration details of installing a DishTV system and branched off to remote controls. This one specifically covers extending the UHF range of a Hopper with a 40.0 remote control...

Zeigh

Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
UPDATE...

I got my DishTV system installed (configuration details above) and have been passively testing the UHF remote control efficiency throughout my home. With the OEM antenna connected onto the back of the Hopper and inside a centrally located network closet, I was pleasantly surprised that only two rooms of my 3600 square foot two story house were unable to transmit remote control signals. The next step was to extend the antenna from the Hopper to outside of the network closet.

As maybe some of you know, this antenna jack is not a standard coaxial F-connector, although it easily looks like it. It appears as though the screw threads are coarse vs. the fine threads of an F-connector. So, I found some push-on F-connector adapters in my geek drawer and one mated just fine to the male jack of the Hopper. Then I took a Dremel tool and filed down the threads of of a double-male F-connector. After a little trial and error of filing off a little bit at a time, it fit good enough for a connection into the female jack of the antenna. Then I added a length of RG6 coaxial cable in between it all and tacked the antenna on the wall outside of the network closet.

The reception boost was enough to get a standard DishTV 40.0 remote control signal to the Hopper from all areas of my home. There is still some tweaking to do, as one room only allows for poor reception (vs. none before), but still transmittable. The next step is to test my original idea of adding antennas onto the unused coaxial jacks in certain rooms and tying it all into the Hopper. More later.

In the meantime, here is a refined tip (easier for reading) for turning your 40.0 remote control into an audio/visual transmission meter with live feedback:

1. Confirm the remote control is linked to the Hopper or Joey receiver.
2. Press and hold the SAT button for several seconds on the linked remote until all the mode buttons are lit, then release SAT. The SAT light blinks.
3. Press and hold the Input/Pair button for several seconds until the SAT mode light blinks, stays lit, and then finally release the Input/Recover button. The remote control is in LQI mode.
4. After about five seconds, the remote control will provide audi/visual feedback on its range to the Hopper/Joey, as follows:

Four mode buttons lit up- excellent reception.
Three mode buttons lit up- good reception.
Two mode buttons lit up- fair reception.
One mode button lit up- poor to no reception.

5. Press any button on the remote control to exit the special LQI mode and return to normal remote operation.

?Dr. Z.

Last edited:

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Did you try to order the 10 foot RG-6 antenna extension cable assembly P/N 169178 from Dish? That's what I did to relocate one of my Hopper's antenna. The cable has the correct connector to fit the Hopper.

922remtext.pdf

Zeigh

Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
Did you try to order the 10 foot RG-6 antenna extension cable assembly P/N 169178 from Dish? That's what I did to relocate one of my Hopper's antenna. The cable has the correct connector to fit the Hopper.

Hey, thanks for that tip. I didn't know anything about this part until now. HA, I can't even find a link to purchase one if I wanted to either.

I already have a custom solution that works for now, so the only reason that I might get this cable would be for looks (that only geeks peaking in my network closet would appreciate)...

- Dr. Z. -

Zeigh

Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
The original Hopper training guide for installers sez that the 40.0 UHF remote has a 200 ft range.

Yup, you are right. However, that is line of sight measurement in idea conditions. My home with 2x6 framing, some decorative masonry walls, and more radio wave interference than a NASA test site decreases that distance substantially...

?- Dr. Z. -

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
Hey, thanks for that tip. I didn't know anything about this part until now. HA, I can't even find a link to purchase one if I wanted to either.

I already have a custom solution that works for now, so the only reason that I might get this cable would be for looks (that only geeks peaking in my network closet would appreciate)...

- Dr. Z. -

If you want to purchase one, go into your account in MyDish.com, select Order from Store and see if it is listed. It might not be because I think it is a part that is listed for 922s. Your store will probably list all Hopper related parts. I can't check for you right now because I have a scheduled Dish technician appointment. The store gets locked out till the appointment is complete. If you do not see the RG-6 antenna cable extension listed, call up Dish and order over the phone. P/N 169178.

Zeigh

Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
If you want to purchase one, go into your account in MyDish.com, select Order from Store and see if it is listed. It might not be because I think it is a part that is listed for 922s. Your store will probably list all Hopper related parts.

You are right about MyDish.com only offering parts for items that I have on my account. That was the first place I looked and no cable. If I want one I will call Dish, but would prefer to pound a nail into my head instead. My initial calls to Dish customer service did not go well at all. Ahhh, just like the rest of Corporate America, it is a gamble in getting someone who knows their job and ironically, can speak clear English...

- Dr. Z. -

charlesrshell

SatelliteGuys Crazy
Lifetime Supporter
Jan 14, 2006
O'Fallon, IL
You are right about MyDish.com only offering parts for items that I have on my account. That was the first place I looked and no cable. If I want one I will call Dish, but would prefer to pound a nail into my head instead. My initial calls to Dish customer service did not go well at all. Ahhh, just like the rest of Corporate America, it is a gamble in getting someone who knows their job and ironically, can speak clear English...

- Dr. Z. -

I hear ya.

3HaloODST

SatelliteGuys Master
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 2, 2010
Earth

- Dr. Z. -

Probably can get it thru DIRT.

Sent from my iPad 2 using Forum Runner

Zeigh

Jul 6, 2009
Phoenix, AZ USA
Upadte...

I connected the OEM Dish UHF antenna to the coaxial jack in the bedroom (about 130 feet of cabling away) that I was having the poorest remote control reception with. The other end of the cable was connected directly to the Hopper in my network closet. The good news is that the reception in that room boosted from poor to excellent. The bad news is that the range from this antenna diminished greatly, so not even the next room over could lock in on a signal. So, this makes me question if the more distribution I try to do (antennas in every room), the weaker the overall signal would be everywhere. Oh, unless there is some kind of wired or wireless UHF booster that could be used. Of course, I need to acquire another Dish UHF antenna to test further.

Maybe I need a true radio wave geek to clue me in on the exact details of it all. In fact, what is the tube-like circuitry on the end of the wire inside the OEM antenna?

Regardless, at this point it looks like my best option is to keep the extension cable as short as possible and position the antenna in the best possible location for whole-house access. If I come up with other ideas, I'll post back.

?Dr. Z.

Attachments

• Dish UHF Antenna.JPG
    Dish UHF Antenna.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 1,273

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)