Error msg 129 about rcvr not yet authorized on a prepaid sys

AllVNeedDish

Original poster
Feb 3, 2009
DC
I hooked up a prepaid 301 receiver to existing dish 500 already installed on rooftop that was used for postpaid couple of years back, and charged it with $40 prepaid card. I got the receiver and card both from RadioShack.

Even though I have full green locked signal from 110, 119 and 61.5, DishNetwork tech Support is not able to authorize the receiver. I have called them 20 times in last 14 days and everytime they say they are sending a signal hit to my receiver and it will take 30 minutes to authorize, but I am still getting the same error message 129: "Your receiver has not yet been authorized..."

One CSR told me that the receiver is bad, so I went back to Radio Shack and got another receiver along with new prepaid card, but still the same error message.

Now CSR is telling me to get a professional install done, but I doubt that will help as receiver already has full green signal (72).

Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

Yes, the updated software is P452

Yes, for both the receivers, after initial hookup, first thing they did was download the latest software. It shows up as "P452" in the system info page.

CSR confirmed its the latest one.

Thanks,

what color smartcard do you have?
what type of programming are you subbing to?
does it say dishnow after your model # on the sys info screen?
what phone number is listed on the sys info page?
tune to channel 200 tell me what it says?
what is signal strenght on tp 19 @ 119?
what channels are in the guide ?
are any free channels like 9902 viewable?

dial prepaid phone # 1 888 347 4132, select option for tech support, when it asks if your system is already installed press press 1 for yes, have you tried troubleshooting before press 2 for no, when it asks if you having a problem with the picture press 1 for yes, then select option for on screen message, tune to channel 200 again, turn off receiver, enter 129, say ready, wait 15 minutes.

Failing that confirm through live human support that the correct smartcard # is married to your reciever # and that a valid 5 digit zip code value is on file for the smartcard#, or through automated system you can update these 2 values again for your receiver # by answering yes to the have there been any changes to your system question.

Last edited:
CSR says the software "DNASP: S01 Dsh602" is old, but can't update it

Thank you for the detailed reply. Here is the info:

what color smartcard do you have?
Yellow with a Purple strip on left edge

International, Hindi package

No it does not say dishnow anywhere in sys info. It says the following:
d. DP301
Software P452
H. Device DP21
DNASP: S01 Dsh602
Hardware ID: DACD-N

1 800 333 DISH (3474)

I can't access any channel, after initial acquiring signal message goes to 3 of 5, I get msg 129 and vant go to any channel

All are green and locked:
119: 76
110: 76
61.5: 65

Can't access guide

Can't access any channel

dial prepaid phone # 1 888 347 4132, select option for tech support, when it asks if your system is already installed press press 1 for yes, have you tried troubleshooting before press 2 for no, when it asks if you having a problem with the picture press 1 for yes, then select option for on screen message, tune to channel 200 again, turn off receiver, enter 129, say ready, wait 15 minutes.

Tried this and also talked to a live guy, who said that looks like software "DNASP: S01 Dsh602" is outdated and it should be "DNASP: S01 Dsh609", but they are somehow not able to update the software on my receiver.

Failing that confirm through live human support that the correct smartcard # is married to your reciever # and that a valid 5 digit zip code value is on file for the smartcard#, or through automated system you can update these 2 values again for your receiver # by answering yes to the have there been any changes to your system question.

Confirmed that they have the right smartcard# abd zip code.

The CSR took my phone number and said that his head technician will call me, but nothing yet.

Is it possible somehow to hard reset the receiver so that it can start downloading the new software again. Tried the option to set factory defaults but didnt help.

Thanks again for your input.

based on your response you have multiple problems going on similar to what happened to me last month.

First you need to get them to send you a new smart card because Hindi requires the new purple G3 smartcard and is only going to be available at the 118 location. The 118 satellite requires a special larger more expensive dish. The Dish prepaid CSRs do not tell you this because they are either clueless or continuing to misrepresent international prepaid availibility and requirements to new and existing prepaid dishnow customers. The check switch sequence on the prepaid phone number and all dishnow documentation still tells people to aim at 61.5 and 148 for international prepaid subscriptions, this info is outdated and they refuse to update it.

Since I am also prepaid international dish refused to pay to upgrade my dish for 118 last month, It seems as though the dish plan is to simply try to force the cost of upgrading for 118 onto the shoulders of all new and existing prepaid subs in order to continue receiving the programming they prepaid for, since dish still will not admit the dilema they have created with the move from 61.5 to 118, Dish will not take the financial responsibility for the satellite changes they have made on their end which impact the international prepaid dishnow subscribers.

Based on your sys info screen your receiver never got the hit to download the prepaid software and update the sys info screen with the correct prepaid dishnow info because the smartcard type is outdated for the programming you sub to.

Relay this info to the people at dish, good luck they are not easy to work with because they dont even have a prepaid box at corporate.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of thoughts. If you've changed receivers and have the same problem, its not a receiver problem. If, on the system info page, you're getting green indicators on the different satellite blocks, the lnbs and cableing are probably ok. I have both a regular subscription 301 receiver and a prepaid 301 receiver. On the system info page, the regular receiver shows software as P452 and model as DP301. On my prepaid receiver, the software is P396 and the model shows DP301DishNOW!. It looks like your reciever is set up as a regular reciever and not a prepaid receiver. When you did the first-time activation on both receivers, did you call the "Dish Now" number of 1-888-347-4132 and activate it using the computerized system or did you call the regular Dish Network number? If you called the regular Dish Network number, maybe the receiver has been listed in the computer as a regular receiver and not a prepaid reciever. Maybe that's why is giving you problems. If you did go through the required "Dish Now" computerized system for first-time activation, then good luck. I don't have a clue.

All dishnow receivers show the regular dish network phone number and will not display the words dish now! until they get the intial hit, this also happens when you first insert a new smartcard for the smartcard upgrade prior to calling in to activate the new card, you are correct in the fact that P396 will be indicated once the receiver is properly authorized for prepaid and then immediatly directed to download the special prepaid software version.

This is a special case like mine that currently only impacts international prepaid, I went through similar problems last month and outlined it elsewhere in the site, soon however this will start happening more and more frequently with other programming like core because dishnetwork has still not adequetly addressed the prepaid smartcard upgrade dilema and the international satellite location changes.

Essentially this guys box never took the activation hit because the card in his box is old type for the programming that he wants that has moved to another location. Dish has his money but he has nothing!

Dish is not properly verifing new smartcard S19# and new 118 international reception requirement via the automated phone check switch sequece prior to redeeming a customers prepaid pin, I told them about it several times but the corporate people won't address it or can't understand how prepaid works because they have no dishnow box in the building.

Last edited:
I hooked up a prepaid 301 receiver to existing dish 500 already installed on rooftop that was used for postpaid couple of years back, and charged it with $40 prepaid card. I got the receiver and card both from RadioShack.

Even though I have full green locked signal from 110, 119 and 61.5, DishNetwork tech Support is not able to authorize the receiver. I have called them 20 times in last 14 days and everytime they say they are sending a signal hit to my receiver and it will take 30 minutes to authorize, but I am still getting the same error message 129: "Your receiver has not yet been authorized..."

One CSR told me that the receiver is bad, so I went back to Radio Shack and got another receiver along with new prepaid card, but still the same error message.

Now CSR is telling me to get a professional install done, but I doubt that will help as receiver already has full green signal (72).

Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

AllVNeedDish,

Am I to understand that you bought ONLY the receiver from Radio Shack, and then a separate prepaid card?

If this is correct, then it is my "guess", that you DO NOT have a prepaid receiver at all.

It is either a regular DP301 or DP311 receiver. Radio Shack has NEVER sold the prepaid receiver by itself, to my knowledge. Never. They ONLY sell the prepaid kit(Receiver, Dish 500 antenna/mount) for $99+tax, the self install kit for $20+tax, and the Dish $40 prepaid card, and that is it.

They have never just sold the prepaid receiver by itself, and you cannot turn it into one, no matter what you do, and what you are looking to get.

They do sell standalone DP301's or, most likely, a DP311 for $99+tax, but these are meant for REGULAR DISH ACCOUNTS, and must added, by you, to the account by calling Dish, and telling them you have a new receiver.

I think that is it. You just don't have a prepaid receiver, and going to radio shack will not get you by itself.

You have to go to places like Saudon(sponsor on this forum), and order it from them in order to get a standalone receiver.

I am no longer guessing here. That is the problem. Someone at Radio Shack is either telling tall tales, or just has no idea what he/she is talking about(I am going to guess it is the latter).

If you still have it return it for a full refund, and order a prepaid receiver from one of the sponsors here.

Saudon says all of his current prepaid receivers have the G3 Purple access card in them, so I would go that route.

And it seems that if you want the Hindi package, you are going to have to poit it at satellite 118, in order to get it.

International prepaid needs purple G3 card

AllVNeedDish,

Am I to understand that you bought ONLY the receiver from Radio Shack, and then a separate prepaid card? .....

No, I bought the whole prepaid kit (Receiver, Dish 500 antenna/mount) for $99+tax, and the Dish $40 prepaid card. Its just that I already had dish installed on my rooftop, so I just had to hook up the receiver from that kit to get the signal. The kit I got from RadioShack says Dish Now / Dish Ya prepaid satellite TV system.

So here's what's going on. I called the higher up guys at DishNetwork corporate transitions team. They told me the following:

- For prepaid system old yellow card is sufficient, but for international programming on prepaid system, new G3 purple card is required

- For prepaid international, some packages are moving to 118W, but for Hindi Package 61.5 is still valid. Eventually Hindi Pack will move to 148, but its not going to happen in near future

So, bottom line, I am good with 61.5, but need a purple card. The guy told me to send him an email with the info, but I haven't received any reply yet.

I am thinking of returning the kit to RadioShack and buying the new one from Saudon, but will loose the $40 card again.

Does anyone know if Saudon will stand by their system, if I have any issues getting Hindi Pack on their prepaid system?

Thanks

So, bottom line, I am good with 61.5, but need a purple card. The guy told me to send him an email with the info, but I haven't received any reply yet.

I am thinking of returning the kit to RadioShack and buying the new one from Saudon, but will loose the $40 card again.

Does anyone know if Saudon will stand by their system, if I have any issues getting Hindi Pack on their prepaid system?

Thanks

Sadoun doesnt tell you which model receiver he is actually shipping unless you contact them in advance to find out, if you get stuck with a 3900 instead of the 301 then you will have to also buy a dish pro adapter eventually to use with 118. At this point you could just wait and swap the card but if you paid $99 and they sold you a doorstop with yellow card then you probably would be wise to just return it again if you can?

As far international channel moves all channels are evacuating the side sats and going to 118, it could be another 2 weeks or it could be 2 months but eventually it is happening despite what they disclose to you. At that time you will be faced with the added expense of buying a dish and lnb capable of getting 118, In the mean time your prepaid receiver may not even be able to tune to international moves at the temp move guide mapping in the 6100 channel range on the side sats. So no sadoun wont guarentee your ability to receive programming when dish network can't even do this for prepaid subs.

Last edited:
So here is what we know about the current status of the dishnow prepaid platform, Dish continues to redeem pins for programming that now exclusively requires a new G3 card, even if you dont actually have one yet.

Dish also continues to redeem pins for programming that is already or soon to be exclusively located at a different satellite location even if you dont actually have a 118 capable setup in place, they also are not going to provide the upgraded dish for free to prepaid even if they are advertising this on the screen when you tune to the old side sat channel #.

If a channel is still on a side sat now like 61.5 or 148, there is no guarentee the programming can actually be tuned at its temp 6100 channel # location even for the remainder of your pin redemption.

So if you redeem a pin at this point without a new G3 smartcard or 118 dish you risk paying your money and getting nothing in return, in some cases all you will get are various advisory channels about the move or pop up messages about your card expiring on the old channel#. Or in some other extreme cases not even that much since the old channels are already gone and now only @ 118. What a DISH-aster!

Last edited:
hey thanks all all for this helpful threads, much better than the freaking dish reps that have no clue why you are connected to them..i being using prepaid systems for a long time now and with no problems. but since yesterday i had my first trouble. tryin to activate dishlatino package on 110/119 but i get the message 005 my smart card is not authorized and it stays tehre forever. i checked my guide and my channels in my package are all white, it even shows me i have 28 days left, but the message wont go away...i try getting dish automated system to reactivate my box, did it like 4 times, hard reset my receiver from the front multiple times, downloaded latest software, even shows is a dishnow receiver, so i got that much figured.
I was able to finally talk to some yoyo at tech support and he told me since i didnt buy my receiver from radio shack, they cannot help, to contact the dealer i bought it from. one time i contacted my dealer with a diff issue and he told me that i have to call tech support at dish. so here i'm thinkin what that heck, i buy a dishnet box but since i didnt buy from radio shack, they cannot help me? thats the most absurd thing i ever heard, guy would not even botehr goin through some steps or somethin, naada.

anyways, I activated a brand new diff box i have thinking maybe the stupid box is defective so here im a staring at the same freaking 005 message on my new box, everythin updated. so i dont know, can anyone help me b**tch at dish? so it seems these yellow cards are not being activated for the first time, but i activated antoher dishpin on a previously subscribe dishnow receiver and that worked just fine.
i wish i could get some otehr message tellin me to change the card or somethin

It is possible that since feb 1st dish is no longer doing new first time activations of yellow cards on prepaid core, international or anything else. Various people have now indicated this in the last week, That is not stopping their system from taking your pin though so be careful with redeeming $40 pins with yellow card receivers.

Last edited:
Hi

Just to update you on the Prepaid receivers we (Sadoun) carry: As of today, we are only shipping the 301 Dish Pro receiver. It comes with a G3 card and remote control. The receivers are all in factory remanufactured condition and come in a sealed box from Dish Network.

In the past, DN would send us either 3900 or 301 whichever they have available. We had no control of it. As of recent, they no longer have the 3900 receivers, and they are only sending us the 301. If that changes, we will let you know (on our website).

Our website will be updated accordingly.
http://sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Receivers/Dish-Network-Receivers.htm

All I needed was a purple smart card

I received my new prepaid system today, that I bought online after feedback from this forum. It is same as the previous one DP301, but comes with the new purple card.

I am watching English channels "Basic Family" and International "Hindi Pack" right now, with signal from 110, 119 and 61.5.

When I opted for International channels while activation, it just gave me option for Arabic and Hindi, so I guess all other international channels have moved to 118W.

Thanks to all who replied to this post.

well nice to hear you got your problem resolved. i still got my problem unsolved and i can't even get anyone to send me a new freaking purple card for my boxes...i guess if i was goin to buy 3 new boxes with purple card, it will also fix my issues, but that will be a total writeoff for me, since i would lose 3 receivers and 3 $40pins

It is possible that since feb 1st dish is no longer doing new first time activations of yellow cards on prepaid core, international or anything else. Various people have now indicated this in the last week, That is not stopping their system from taking your pin though so be careful with redeeming $40 pins with yellow card receivers.
Could this be my problem also? I just attempted a first-time activation yesterday with my prepaid DP 301. After 9 calls to CSR, I still can't get any subscribed channels. I have the yellow smart card. CSR told me to get a new receiver but I need to know if the smart card is the issue then figure out how to get a purple card.

what software version do you have?
what DNASP version 609 or H02 or something older?

question on legacy lnb

722 now "voting" between 61.5 and 129?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)