ESPN Actually Wants to Broadcast a Super Bowl

The Super Bowl in my opinion will never leave the networks. It would just be stupid, as viewership would be down because not everyone has Cable or Satellite TV. Keeping it on the Networks will enable them to keep charging those outrageous advertising fees they keep charging each year. Heck it could have a retail effect also, I mean if you can't watch the game whats the point in having a Super Bowl party.

I really think people are taking the original topic too seriously, short of the question being 'would you like to broadcast a marathon of the Lions 2008 season' or 'would you like to make 5 more seasons of Playmakers' the same response would have been given to any sports related programming question... 'I certainly wouldn't rule it out'

ESPN isn't efforting to make this happen (that we know of) because so much more money is there for Disney to put it on ABC to air the same program, as others have stated it likely won't ever leave the OTA networks.

The Super Bowl in my opinion will never leave the networks. It would just be stupid, as viewership would be down because not everyone has Cable or Satellite TV. Keeping it on the Networks will enable them to keep charging those outrageous advertising fees they keep charging each year. Heck it could have a retail effect also, I mean if you can't watch the game whats the point in having a Super Bowl party.

Superbowl advertising has been coming DOWN and I expect it to continue going down with the current economy.

The outrageous prices that get for a commercial these day is comical.

The AD's have not been up to snuff the last 4-5 years anyways.

I really think people are taking the original topic too seriously, short of the question being 'would you like to broadcast a marathon of the Lions 2008 season' or 'would you like to make 5 more seasons of Playmakers' the same response would have been given to any sports related programming question... 'I certainly wouldn't rule it out'

ESPN isn't efforting to make this happen (that we know of) because so much more money is there for Disney to put it on ABC to air the same program, as others have stated it likely won't ever leave the OTA networks.

ESPN has the contracts with the NFL currently, so I would not be surprised to see them bid and put it on ABC, seeing they are the same people.
Of course the NFL would know about this agreement ahead. For that matter they should be in the discussion as they do the Monday night game now.

The only way the Superbowl will be done by ESPN, is if it's on ABC.

Part of the merger concessions given to Congress were that games would remain on free TV. That's why ESPN Monday Night Football and NFL Network Thursday games are broadcast on both teams' local stations.

Superbowl advertising has been coming DOWN and I expect it to continue going down with the current economy.

Exactly. And there are so many more ways for companies to advertise these days that it's almost foolish to blow the budget on stupid ads during the SB. This is what gives cable companies a huge advantage. They aren't so dependent on advertising. Networks are finding it harder and harder to justify paying huge rights fees when they can't count on the ad revenue being there.

Exactly. And there are so many more ways for companies to advertise these days that it's almost foolish to blow the budget on stupid ads during the SB. This is what gives cable companies a huge advantage. They aren't so dependent on advertising. Networks are finding it harder and harder to justify paying huge rights fees when they can't count on the ad revenue being there.

What ???
There's a first !!!!

We agree on something :D

The only way the Superbowl will be done by ESPN, is if it's on ABC.

Part of the merger concessions given to Congress were that games would remain on free TV. That's why ESPN Monday Night Football and NFL Network Thursday games are broadcast on both teams' local stations.

For continuity reasons, I strongly feel that if ABC wants to broadcast the Super Bowl or World Series again, they have to broadcast regular season games too. That would be like if ABC never broadcast an NBA game all year except the NBA Finals. Then again, ABC doesn't even broadcast the NBA All-Star Game (instead, it's on TNT).

For continuity reasons, I strongly feel that if ABC wants to broadcast the Super Bowl or World Series again, they have to broadcast regular season games too. That would be like if ABC never broadcast an NBA game all year except the NBA Finals. Then again, ABC doesn't even broadcast the NBA All-Star Game (instead, it's on TNT).

But, ABC's son already airs the NFL.

Not really. If you stop and think about it, it's cheaper than mass mailings to promote your product/company/etc., and you have a captive audience that's actually looking forward to the commericals.

SB 43 was the most watched game ever. Commericals cost ~ $3M for a 30-second spot. An AVERAGE of 98.7 million viewers tuned in. That's about .03 per viewer. Even if the commercial cost $3M to produce, that's still only .06 per viewer that you know is being watched by 100 million and is not just being thrown into the trash like junk mail....

Not really. If you stop and think about it, it's cheaper than mass mailings to promote your product/company/etc., and you have a captive audience that's actually looking forward to the commericals.

SB 43 was the most watched game ever. Commericals cost ~ $3M for a 30-second spot. An AVERAGE of 98.7 million viewers tuned in. That's about .03 per viewer. Even if the commercial cost $3M to produce, that's still only .06 per viewer that you know is being watched by 100 million and is not just being thrown into the trash like junk mail....

I toss MASS mailings in the fireplace.

Would you pay 3 M for a :30 sec commercial ?

I toss MASS mailings in the fireplace.

Would you pay 3 M for a :30 sec commercial ?
Exactly!! That's the appeal of advertising in the SB. Even at last year's high rates, ads were still sold out...

If I ran a national company that would benefit from the exposure and had that to spend in my advertising budget, you bet I would!!!

Exactly!! That's the appeal of advertising in the SB. Even at last year's high rates, ads were still sold out...

If I ran a national company that would benefit from the exposure and had that to spend in my advertising budget, you bet I would!!!
A lot the ads last year were just NBC promoting its own shows. Some were GE ads, and they own NBC. There will always be companies willing to buy SB ads, but I doubt many can justify the huge costs. There's dozens of better ways to advertise than in the SB, so it's not just a choice between running a SB ad or sending out junk mail. Most of the ads in the SB are created to be memorable because they are really funny or creative, and some accomplish that, but I don't think it does much to improve the bottom line. The point of an ad is to sell stuff, not just to make people laugh. At $3 million per 30 secs you better be getting more than a laugh or the joke's on you.

A lot the ads last year were just NBC promoting its own shows. Some were GE ads, and they own NBC. There will always be companies willing to buy SB ads, but I doubt many can justify the huge costs. There's dozens of better ways to advertise than in the SB, so it's not just a choice between running a SB ad or sending out junk mail. Most of the ads in the SB are created to be memorable because they are really funny or creative, and some accomplish that, but I don't think it does much to improve the bottom line. The point of an ad is to sell stuff, not just to make people laugh. At $3 million per 30 secs you better be getting more than a laugh or the joke's on you.
Cheaper definitely, but show me another way you can be guaranteed to have 100 million people watching your advertising, plus the added exposure from online viewing of the ad later for $3M.

GoDaddy.com is probably one of the biggest success stories from SB ads. Who heard of them before that??

Super Bowl Advertising Working for Go Daddy

Thanks Ander's you helped me make my point, NBC used it's own advertising to fill the empty slots.

Thanks Ander's you helped me make my point, NBC used it's own advertising to fill the empty slots.
:confused: Of course all networks promo their shows during the SB. Those spots advertising NBC shows are built in to the total advertising time and was a reason I stated earlier why the networks are willing to pay the exhorbitant rates for televising NFL games.

NBC sold all of their commercial spots they had to offer and set a record doing so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)