ESPN Cutting Costs

Actually the problem is Dish Network not wanting to pay for these sports networks to begin with.

The teams get less viewership due to Dish and have to pass the higher costs on to the customers who have gone with other service providers to get their favorite team or sport.

Reactions: Juan
I was a avid football fan, but my interest is fading. There's too much money involved now. The average family can't afford to go to a game. The stadiums aren't named after the area they are in, but some corporation. If you buy a season ticket, you also got to buy your seat. What the %<\k ? And yet the taxpayers paid for our stadium.

I see the Super Bowl becoming Pay per View and everything going down hill from there.

I was a avid football fan, but my interest is fading. There's too much money involved now. The average family can't afford to go to a game. The stadiums aren't named after the area they are in, but some corporation. If you buy a season ticket, you also got to buy your seat. What the %<\k ? And yet the taxpayers paid for our stadium.

I see the Super Bowl becoming Pay per View and everything going down hill from there.

The Super Bowl is by far the biggest event on TV every year. They also charge the most money of any TV broadcast by far. There is no way in hell they could come close to bringing in the same kind of revenue they are currently getting from advertisers by going PPV. Not gonna happen.

The Super Bowl is by far the biggest event on TV every year. They also charge the most money of any TV broadcast by far. There is no way in hell they could come close to bringing in the same kind of revenue they are currently getting from advertisers by going PPV. Not gonna happen.

I think the loss in advertising revenue would outweigh what they made in PPV revenue.

I honestly could care less about the super bowl. For me having your friends over or going to a friends house and eating chips and pizza is what makes the super bowl appealing to me.

The ads are nice, but I could care less about who wins.

I think the loss in advertising revenue would outweigh what they made in PPV revenue.

I honestly could care less about the super bowl. For me having your friends over or going to a friends house and eating chips and pizza is what makes the super bowl appealing to me.

Dish actually played on that this last year. The reverse autohop. It auto hopped over the game, and only showed the commercials during the SB

Reactions: pattykay
the major sports don't want soccer to succed
IMO it's the networks that don't want it to succeed. As it is with "American" sports, especially football, the networks control the game. "TV timeouts" ? Give me a break ! Or, why does the last (4) minutes of a basketball game take (15) minutes ?

I think one of the biggest problems with TV soccer is that the ref's control the clock
What you mean is, the game doesn't stop....

The whole red card/yellow card thing is very confusing to the casual viewer..no clear rules on who gets what..its at the ref's discretion
Like fouls in basketball ? The strike zone in baseball ?

IMO it's the networks that don't want it to succeed. As it is with "American" sports, especially football, the networks control the game. "TV timeouts" ? Give me a break ! Or, why does the last (4) minutes of a basketball game take (15) minutes ?

What you mean is, the game doesn't stop....

Like fouls in basketball ? The strike zone in baseball ?
No.its more political..but I won't go there

That was my point. They would never get enough PPV revenue to make it worth pulling from regular TV with all the ad money they get.

The whole overpriced sports bubble is about to burst, this is just the beginning.

A la cart/ tiered steaming changes everything
Five million people – known as cord-cutters – ended their cable and broadband subscriptions from 2010-2013 according to Business Insider. As more folks shift away from TV and towards streaming services, the sports advertising TV bubble is going to burst

http://www.si.com/more-sports/2014/12/17/future-cable-sports-tv

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/53498716/

http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015/07/new-nielsen-estimates-explain-gloom-at-espn/

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=957277

http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...n_is_the_tv_sports_bubble_going_to_burst.html

http://www.fiercecable.com/story/es...past-year-could-be-pulled-sling-tv/2015-07-10

Last edited:
Reactions: MikeD-C05
LUE, you should post in the Broadband forums, or ANYWHERE else.
You think Dish is not going to loose subs to online TV?
The Sports Bubble popping not going to hurt Dish? Dish is still on the hook even if people are dumping their subs.

Eventually, cable’s asking price will reach a level too high for too many pay TV customers, and many more of them will become former customers. That’s not good news for ESPN. One recent report suggested that only 35.7% of pay TV subscribers would keep ESPN in an a la carte lineup. Add that to the rising cost of broadcast rights for major sports — including that shiny new NBA TV deal, which has ESPN on the hook for more than $13 billion — and you can begin to see why some Wall Street analysts are beginning to feel bearish on ESPN’s long-term future.

until you remember that the carriage fee ESPN receives from pay TV carriers increases 6.5% per year. So even if ESPN loses 2% of its customer base every year, its carriage fee income still increases year over year, because the remaining customers end up paying more. Plus, when customers drop cable for a service like Sling TV, ESPN ends up getting more per customer than they would from big cable companies.
http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015/07/how-much-is-cord-cutting-really-impacting-espn/

They we're watching an event not soccer..let me put it this way. .the major sports don't want soccer to succed
Of course they don't. They're in competition with soccer. If it fades away, the other major sports could only benefit.

I think one of the biggest problems with TV soccer is that the ref's control the clock..the clock on the scoreboard is not the official time. The whole red card/yellow card thing is very confusing to the casual viewer..no clear rules on who gets what..its at the ref's discretion.Sometimes teams get to play well past the time on the scoreboard others tend to get screwed.
No. The biggest problem with TV soccer is people don't understand the game (aside from 'put the ball in the net'). That's changing though as people who played soccer as youths are growing up or parents of youth players are watching. In my younger days (and I'm talking <30), I wouldn't be able to watch 30 seconds of game. All three of my kids have now played, two of them on travel teams, and I actually find the game exciting. The number of people understanding the game will continue to increase. As someone pointed out earlier, the Women's World Cup Final had more viewers than the NBA.

Actually the problem is Dish Network not wanting to pay for these sports networks to begin with.

The teams get less viewership due to Dish and have to pass the higher costs on to the customers who have gone with other service providers to get their favorite team or sport.
Please tell me you're joking. Your statements make no sense. Whether they want to or not, Dish HAS paid for ESPN.

I agree with Lue, the problem is cord cutters. If you have a Dish (or Direct, or Cable) subscription, even if you never turn on ESPN, you're still paying for it. For ESPN to say they're losing money because of subscription loss, it has to be cord cutters.

Of course they don't. They're in competition with soccer. If it fades away, the other major sports could only benefit.

No. The biggest problem with TV soccer is people don't understand the game (aside from 'put the ball in the net'). That's changing though as people who played soccer as youths are growing up or parents of youth players are watching. In my younger days (and I'm talking <30), I wouldn't be able to watch 30 seconds of game. All three of my kids have now played, two of them on travel teams, and I actually find the game exciting. The number of people understanding the game will continue to increase. As someone pointed out earlier, the Women's World Cup Final had more viewers than the NBA.

Please tell me you're joking. Your statements make no sense. Whether they want to or not, Dish HAS paid for ESPN.

I agree with Lue, the problem is cord cutters. If you have a Dish (or Direct, or Cable) subscription, even if you never turn on ESPN, you're still paying for it. For ESPN to say they're losing money because of subscription loss, it has to be cord cutters.

Yea just joking as someone said I would find a reason to blame dish.

You think Dish is not going to loose subs to online TV?
The Sports Bubble popping not going to hurt Dish? Dish is still on the hook even if people are dumping their subs.

Eventually, cable’s asking price will reach a level too high for too many pay TV customers, and many more of them will become former customers. That’s not good news for ESPN. One recent report suggested that only 35.7% of pay TV subscribers would keep ESPN in an a la carte lineup. Add that to the rising cost of broadcast rights for major sports — including that shiny new NBA TV deal, which has ESPN on the hook for more than $13 billion — and you can begin to see why some Wall Street analysts are beginning to feel bearish on ESPN’s long-term future.

until you remember that the carriage fee ESPN receives from pay TV carriers increases 6.5% per year. So even if ESPN loses 2% of its customer base every year, its carriage fee income still increases year over year, because the remaining customers end up paying more. Plus, when customers drop cable for a service like Sling TV, ESPN ends up getting more per customer than they would from big cable companies.
http://www.whatyoupayforsports.com/2015/07/how-much-is-cord-cutting-really-impacting-espn/
That one may have gone over your head... It's ok, expected.

Only two things can happen.

#1. In an unbundled programming universe, only 36 percent of U.S. consumers would pay an a la carte fee to access the sports network, according to a recent study conducted by TiVo-owned Digitalsmiths.

To maintain its current revenue levels, ESPN would have to charge each of those subscribers more than $30 a month. Me being a sports fan I just don't know how long I would pay the 30 bucks a month for ESPN. I figure most sports fans might try it for a while and then give up the service. So that takes us to #2.

#2 Sports TV bubble will burst. more disruption, we all know those salaries in the industry are way too bloated and need to come back down to earth. This is not any different than a Housing or Stock Market Bubble, just a matter of time before they all burst.

Both the consumer and Dish will be the winners, it will not be nearly as hard to cut a deal with the sports guys if they are in a downward spiral, which will mean cheaper prices for the viewers and all will be happy but first it's going to get ugly when the bubble pops.

The sports bubble has got to burst.

These athletes are not worth more than 1 million per year if that.

The worst part about these sports contracts is that once these guys make it big, their performance goes down hill as their pay is no longer based on performance.

Look at Justin Verlander. Ever since he got his big contract with the Tigers, he has not been the same.

John Oliver talked about sports teams moving to other cities if they don't get new stadiums last nite on HBO. All about the money. Swimming Pool at the stadium in Dallas. Fish Tanks on the field in Florida. This bubble is gonna burst. People are getting fed up.

Reactions: dare2be
http://www.businessinsider.com/cost-cutting-is-coming-to-espn-2015-7

"But perhaps the most worrying part of the report is the deal ESPN struck last year with Dish Network's new Sling TV service, a streaming-internet-TV service that costs just $20 a month.
According to The Journal, Disney reached a deal with Dish to cancel its agreement to include ESPN on Sling TV if more than 3 million Nielsen households — or homes that count for the all-important Nielsen ratings — got rid of ESPN after May 2014.

According to The Wall Street Journal's sources, this threshold has now been crossed.

So now the question is: Will ESPN go it alone, offering something like HBO's "over-the-top" (outside of a traditional cable bundle) HBO Now streaming offering, or figure something else out?"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)