ESPN Thursday Night Football Blackout or mistake?

This is bull. I've never heard of an ESPN Thur. night game being shown on a local channel or being blacked out. Most likely a Dish SNAFU.
Nope, here in San Diego when the Chargers have played on Thursday night the game shows up on our local channel 8 KFMB and is blacked-out on ESPN. EDIT: Granted, it is the feed produced by ESPN, it's just not shown on ESPN.

According to the USM athletic department, this WAS a guide data problem and the game is not blacked out (per another message board).
You may need to force download new guide data to set it to record. At least in mississippi. Not sure about SC, as it may be on a local channel there.

BigGoldNation.com - Message Boards

Edit: read on another thread, that according to the SC media relations department, the game is not blacked out their either. Seems to be limited to Dish from everything I have read.

Last edited:
The USC/Hawaii game following is also showing as blacked out. This game is NOT being broadcast by a local channel or RSN in California. There is no reason for it to be blacked out and I hope Dish corrects its SNAFU in time. It is not the first time Dish has done this and there is no CSR or tech service employee that has any idea what to do about it. They will always claim that Dish has no control over the blackout -- that it is done by some mysterious force that takes over their broadcasts. Dish does not have the technical control over their own broadcasted programs? Ha! Who's minding the store?

The USC/Hawaii game following is also showing as blacked out. This game is NOT being broadcast by a local channel or RSN in California. There is no reason for it to be blacked out and I hope Dish corrects its SNAFU in time. It is not the first time Dish has done this and there is no CSR or tech service employee that has any idea what to do about it. They will always claim that Dish has no control over the blackout -- that it is done by some mysterious force that takes over their broadcasts. Dish does not have the technical control over their own broadcasted programs? Ha! Who's minding the store?

Reset your receiver. This should download new guide data and fix the problem.

Edit: even if it is listed as blacked out in the guide, in these cases you should still be able to watch them, you just may not be able to set timers to record them until you reset the guide data.

It stinks, but it happens.

We live 3 hours from Detroit, but every Tigers game on ESPN is blacked out. One of the cable services carries the Tiger's FoxSports station. Because those viewers can watch the game on the "local broadcast", ESPN has to black it out in our area.

I can't get cable (which is why we have Dish) so I can't get the cable company's feed of the game, but it is still blacked out for me.

Also makes me mad that we get a St. Louis Cardinals channel that shows everything except the games. Shows pregame, coach's show, etc., but as soon as the game starts, BLACKOUT.

It stinks, but it happens.

We live 3 hours from Detroit, but every Tigers game on ESPN is blacked out. One of the cable services carries the Tiger's FoxSports station. Because those viewers can watch the game on the "local broadcast", ESPN has to black it out in our area.

I can't get cable (which is why we have Dish) so I can't get the cable company's feed of the game, but it is still blacked out for me.

Also makes me mad that we get a St. Louis Cardinals channel that shows everything except the games. Shows pregame, coach's show, etc., but as soon as the game starts, BLACKOUT.

Wow! Blackout rules suck...:mad:

So do the same rules apply to baseball? I tried to watch a Yankees/A's game last night and it was blacked out and not broadcast on any other channel. Neither team is local to me. That really sucked.

I'm pretty sure a lot of west coast teams claim Vegas as 'local' to them. I remember reading about this last year somewhere. Doesn't seem fair to me, but MLB allows them to get away with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)