Ethernet- Calling Home Question

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
I have a VIP 722 and two 322's, all connected to a phone line. I will be connecting the 722 via the Ethernet port to call in. Once I do that will to continue to have the 322's hooked up to a phone line or will the 722 cover the requirement to call in. I'm wanting to do away with my home phone.

it is my understanding that the ethernet line is only for downloading movies. the 722 still has to be connected to a phone line to call in. or at least that is the way my 722 is setup currently.

it is my understanding that the ethernet line is only for downloading movies. the 722 still has to be connected to a phone line to call in. or at least that is the way my 722 is setup currently.

If the ethernet is connected you don't need the phone line.

Only if all the receivers support the DISHCOMM feature can you disconnect them from the phone line and use just one receiver to do the communication to DISH's servers.

Okie dokie. I've gotten 6 different responses with about 4 different answers. Is there and actual Dish Tech out there that knows the answer 100% for sure?

The ViP series receivers can "phone home" via the Internet. Other receivers cannot connect to the Internet, so if the extra tuner fee is an issue, those receivers will need to be connected to a phone line that supports modem traffic.

Yes, I would call dish. Also post the answer if you get a definite one. I'm a new E* customer had my install about 3 weeks ago. I have a 722 in the LR supplying 2 tvs and a 211 receiver in the BR. The installer said that I could connect a phone line OR network cable to the 722. He said that the line only needs to be connected a minimum of 1 day per week so that I'm not charged. He said the second receiver does not need to be connected at all.
This does seem to be the case since after 3-4 days without a connection I get a pop up when turning on either receiver that says something like "Please connect your receiver to a phone line or network cable to keep from being charged a fee". When I connect the phone line over night the pop up goes away on both receivers.

Just got off the phone with Dish Technical Assistance, and one that could speak English fluently and was actually in America (unless she was lying of course).

She said that if the 722 was hooked up to the Internet, it would cover the other receivers on the account, and that there was no need for a phone line. She shoulded like she knew exactly what she was talking about. Guess I'll find out when the next bill comes out.

Probably a stupid question, but.... I thought the phone connection requirement was so Dish could see that the receiver was located in the same house as the account. How can just having it hooked up via ethernet only accomplish this?

I have a VIP 722 and two 322's, all connected to a phone line. I will be connecting the 722 via the Ethernet port to call in. Once I do that will to continue to have the 322's hooked up to a phone line or will the 722 cover the requirement to call in. I'm wanting to do away with my home phone.
the 722 will connect via the ethernet port or phone lines does not matter. This will keep away the phone line charges and let you order PPV movies plus others. The 322 does not support DishComm or ethernet so it has to be connected to a phone line or you will get the phone line fee. the only dual receiver that supports Dishcomm or Ethernet is the VIP-222. Sorry for the bad news :(

SteveR: I asked the same question in a thread a few months back. The consensus was, DishNetwork cannot determine the location based on IP. Most home networks are using non-routable private internal addresses (such as 192.168.x.x) and using PAT (Port Address Translation) reporting the IP your ISP gives you. At best, the valid IP address from your ISP can be traced to a metropolitan area only. Short of the ISP giving your specific info to Dish, it can't be traced to you. If you're system is like mine, your outside ISP's IP changes routinely anyway. I was concerned because I have two 622's, and they don't report to DN on the same sched, so they often report different IPs. I'm sure they have a reason, but it's not for precisely locating the equipment.

The purpose of the phone line with multiple receivers is to verify that they are at the same location.

Using that logic, they would all need to be hooked to the phone. The 722, if alone, could be hooked up to ethernet. But since your other receivers need the phone line, if the 722 was only hooked to ethernet Dish would have no way to verify that xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx ip of the 722 was at the same location as the other receivers that phone home via land line. They can't match a phone number to an ip.

So to avoid billing problems, and if it not a big deal, leave the 722 hooked to the land line. If you are in a testing mood, unhook it and see if they charge you.

My 622 has not been hoked up toa land line for soem time and I do not get charged for it.

Ethernet connections will get the phone line fee waived. 322 receivers don't have the dishcomm feature built in so they will still need a phone line connection. Pretty much only the 622 and 722 are the ones where an ethernet connection will help. The 222, while dishcomm capable, doesn't yet have the software in place for it to use another receiver's phone or ethernet connection so for now it too will need its own phone line or ethernet connection.

All ViP receivers have the hardware necessary to be able to communicate back to dish as long as another ViP receiver is connected through either ethernet or phone line connection. Not all have the software though so you will want to exercise some diligence in addressing this issue.

Ethernet connections will get the phone line fee waived. 322 receivers don't have the dishcomm feature built in so they will still need a phone line connection. Pretty much only the 622 and 722 are the ones where an ethernet connection will help. The 222, while dishcomm capable, doesn't yet have the software in place for it to use another receiver's phone or ethernet connection so for now it too will need its own phone line or ethernet connection.

All ViP receivers have the hardware necessary to be able to communicate back to dish as long as another ViP receiver is connected through either ethernet or phone line connection. Not all have the software though so you will want to exercise some diligence in addressing this issue.

Now that sounds like an informed answer. Thanks.

VIP622 and QAM

622 HDMI and DD5.1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts