VIP622 and QAM

cmcnabb

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Blacksburg, VA
Having decided that the odds of Dish launching my local HD channels this century are not good, and not being able to receive all but one of them over the air, I've subscribed to Comcast's "limited basic" service, which includes local analog and HD channels.

I connected the cable to the OTA connector on the VIP-622 and scanned for channels using all four settings - Cable, Over the air, IRC and HSC. None of the types showed any channels.

Connecting the cable directly to the DTV input on my tv and scanning there did work, though, turning up lots of channels.

The channel scan on the VIP-622 did fine picking up the one local HD channel (and it's subchannels) that I can get over-the-air

So, the question is, does the VIP-622 not support the QAM format used by Comcast, or is my VIP-622 broken?

Last edited:
Searching this forum leads me to believe that the Q-Box does *exactly* the opposite of what I (and most others) need - it converts the Dish satellite signal to feed a QAM multi-residence system, rather than feeding a QAM multi-residence system into the dish reciever. Anyway, I guess I'll just tune the local HD's directly on the TV until such time as Dish adds my local HD channels. I hope I'm still alive when that day arrives.

Same Problem here..

Searching this forum leads me to believe that the Q-Box does *exactly* the opposite of what I (and most others) need - it converts the Dish satellite signal to feed a QAM multi-residence system, rather than feeding a QAM multi-residence system into the dish reciever. Anyway, I guess I'll just tune the local HD's directly on the TV until such time as Dish adds my local HD channels. I hope I'm still alive when that day arrives.

I have the same problem as you. Local HD channels are riding on my basic cable and I can tune them with my TV. However, I have no way of DVRing them :mad:. Torques me off that the 622, etc. doesn't have a QAM tuner. Where I live there is also NO OTA available.
I will longtime be in the grave before Dish has locals in HD here!
Gerry

Q-box converts the 622 to a QAM tuner.

Rglore,

While the 622 is capable of using QAM signals, only QAM that comes from a Special Dish Network MDU (Multiple Dwelling Unit) QAM system.

There is NO WAY for ANY Dish Network HD hardware to tune a Cable Companies local QAM signals.

John

Rglore,

While the 622 is capable of using QAM signals, only QAM that comes from a Special Dish Network MDU (Multiple Dwelling Unit) QAM system.

There is NO WAY for ANY Dish Network HD hardware to tune a Cable Companies local QAM signals.

John

The headend is not "special" Dish hardware. It's is just using a different standard than your standard cable qam. But you are correct that there is no current way to connect a 622 to cable qam. While in qam mode a 622 (or any qbox supported box) does not even pick up regular sat signals (qpsk,8psk).

No one other than people in MDUs need to worry about qbox.

There's always the moving trick that I'm sure you are aware. Only other thing if you still want to DVR the QAM route is a HTPC or Tivo box but I don't like the monthly cost.

The headend is not "special" Dish hardware. It's is just using a different standard than your standard cable qam. But you are correct that there is no current way to connect a 622 to cable qam. While in qam mode a 622 (or any qbox supported box) does not even pick up regular sat signals (qpsk,8psk).

No one other than people in MDUs need to worry about qbox.

OK, I think I've got a better picture of what this whole q-box thing is. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Sat dish connected to some kind of receiver that is connected to MDU head end. Then cables from MDU connect to (many?) Q-Box which are hooked to satellite in on VIP-622's, so that each VIP-622 acts as if it has it's own antenna. If connected to a Q-Box, the VIP-622 can not receive directly from the satellite, so the Q-Box thingy still does not fit the bill of feeding local cable channels into the VIP-622 along with the Dish channels so that those of us who get poor or no O-T-A signal can get local HD channels.

Is that the gist of it?

Hooking up 5 lnbs

Ethernet- Calling Home Question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)