Ethernet function on openbox/skybox stb's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

squid385

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 5, 2007
Tennessee
Can anyone explain to me the function of the ethernet connection on these stb's? I have a skybox f3 and would like to know if the ethernet function is useful for anything in the USA. What about streaming free video from Hulu or Crackle? If so, how do you set it up? I would hope that some of you folks with openbox S9, S10, s12, etc., can enlighten me about this function. Thanks a lot.

squid385 said:
Can anyone explain to me the function of the ethernet connection on these stb's? I have a skybox f3 and would like to know if the ethernet function is useful for anything in the USA. What about streaming free video from Hulu or Crackle? If so, how do you set it up? I would hope that some of you folks with openbox S9, S10, s12, etc., can enlighten me about this function. Thanks a lot.

I think the only use is for card sharing. You can FTP a Limited number of files.

I would love to know if someone knows how to install busybox I would like to ssh into one.

Look for this file. When you open the file thre is readme file which explains how to do the installation

STBHD Lan Memory Manager Tool (STBHD_LAN_MM.EXE)

Look for this file. When you open the file thre is readme file which explains how to do the installation

STBHD Lan Memory Manager Tool (STBHD_LAN_MM.EXE)

Thanks for the replies. I don't really need to communicate with the stb, just thought I might could use ethernet port to stream video from the net via router from modem. The lan memory tool does not support f3 3601 processor. Thanks again.

I think some stb's based on the Ali 3606 have a YouTube player. So with some nice firmware skills you could more then likely get something going via the Ethernet port.

wallyhts said:
I think some stb's based on the Ali 3606 have a YouTube player. So with some nice firmware skills you could more then likely get something going via the Ethernet port.

Yeah. The Amiko Alien 8900 and alien 2 boxes have youtube, webtv, web browser, shoutcast, mounts network shares and plays you media collections via windows share or nfs etc.. also ftp, ssh, http controls. Mine is absolutely spectacular. Wow. Wow. 2x webtv updates since I bought it 3 weeks ago too. Also has optional wirelessN adapter and wireless keyboard with built in touchpad.

The skybox f3 has a 3601 processor. It does have a weather function, but I cannot get it to connect to the web through the ethernet port. Turned DHCP on and that should assign my IP address. No luck. Tried to enter IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway manually. Still would not connect. The box can also do wireless through the USB port if you have a compatible bridge. Haven't tried that yet as I don't have the USB adapter. I wish the company that made this box would furnish more info. on how to setup these extra functions.

The skybox f3 has a 3601 processor. It does have a weather function, but I cannot get it to connect to the web through the ethernet port. Turned DHCP on and that should assign my IP address. No luck. Tried to enter IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway manually. Still would not connect. The box can also do wireless through the USB port if you have a compatible bridge. Haven't tried that yet as I don't have the USB adapter. I wish the company that made this box would furnish more info. on how to setup these extra functions.

Sounds like you don't have the Ethernet cable plugged in. "Do you see lights on back of Ethernet port on STB?"

How do you have it hooked up?
Is your router running DHCP?
Are you running an advanced network with vlans?

Sounds like you don't have the Ethernet cable plugged in. "Do you see lights on back of Ethernet port on STB?"

How do you have it hooked up?
Is your router running DHCP?
Are you running an advanced network with vlans?
Ethernet cable is plugged in and lights are working on stb. Had it hooked through the router, but I have also tried hooked direct to modem. Same results both ways. Tried three different cables. No advanced network.

squid385 said:
Ethernet cable is plugged in and lights are working on stb. Had it hooked through the router, but I have also tried hooked direct to modem. Same results both ways. Tried three different cables. No advanced network.

Only things I can think of are.

1. Make sure it's not set for wireless. (not sure I don't have one)

2. I would if you have a HUB (not switch) hook up the STB and then a pc with nothing else. (No router no modem) download wireshark and see if the STB sends anything out.

Only things I can think of are.

1. Make sure it's not set for wireless. (not sure I don't have one)

2. I would if you have a HUB (not switch) hook up the STB and then a pc with nothing else. (No router no modem) download wireshark and see if the STB sends anything out.
It is set for network, not wireless. I will download wireshark and try that. Do you just use a cable between STB and PC with wireshark? Thanks for your help.

squid385 said:
It is set for network, not wireless. I will download wireshark and try that. Do you just use a cable between STB and PC with wireshark? Thanks for your help.

Yes but it needs to be a crossover cable.

squid385 said:
Isn't a yellow cat 5 supposed to be a crossover cable? I looked at both connectors (RJ45) on the same side, but they are wired the same. Thanks.

No,

Pins 1,2,3,6 need to be crossed.

I'm on the iPhone so I can't attach a img for you. Google cat5 cross over cable. You can make a dirty one by cutting the cable in half and use some solder or tape.

No,

Pins 1,2,3,6 need to be crossed.

I'm on the iPhone so I can't attach a img for you. Google cat5 cross over cable. You can make a dirty one by cutting the cable in half and use some solder or tape.
Ok thanks again, I'll have to get one or make one.

My F3 is getting weather via Ethernet. It took me a while to figure out I have to search for a close city. The manual was kind of sparse.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys

My F3 is getting weather via Ethernet. It took me a while to figure out I have to search for a close city. The manual was kind of sparse.

Sent from my Timex Sinclair using SatelliteGuys
Did you set DHCP on or off under network settings? How do you search with weather menu? Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)