Eurovision 2010

Status
Please reply by conversation.

MotleyC

Apr 24, 2006
Does anyone know where I can watch this on DTV? I cannot see it listed anywhere in the guide.

In the past it has been shown on channels such as TVE but Directv only get the international version. I don't really care which language it is in and I have the world direct dish so I can get the internationals from 95.

If anyone knows where it might be shown I would appreciate the info so I can contact DTV and get the channel ordered.

Thank You

It looks like TVE International will be showing it at 3pm EST.

Edit....

Well after talking to DTV this morning to say I am disappointed would be an understatement.

DTV does not offer a Spanish add on package of any sort. The ONLY way to add TVE is to downgrade our package to "Mas Ultra De Portes" (or something like that). In the process we will lose 66 channels from our Plus HD DVR package and gain a bunch of Spanish channels which we do not understand.

I honestly did not think we would be able to add TVE "a la carte" but for DTV to not have some add on Spanish package is just unbelievable. We will need TVE for a week so there is no point in going through all the crap to change the package and then change it back plus I'm sure they would want to charge extra for doing it and we lose 66 channels for the whole week.

I have been pretty content with DTV for the last 2 years that we have had it (I had it many years ago for a few years) but this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. With all the bilingual households in the USA how can DTV not have an add on package for Spanish programming?

My wife speaks Russian/Polish/Lithuanian and of course English and Eurovision was on Channel 1 from Russia last year so that worked out great. We just added the Russian package and it went great. This year from what I see there is only ONE channel on DTV offering Eurovision. We honestly do not care what language it is in but because DTV has a piss poor selection of foreign language channels that is what we are stuck with. I know Dish has better foreign programming and this would be a non issue with them. I have already looked and there are several options to see it on Dish. I really don't want to go to Dish as in general DTV>Dish but this is one of those examples where Dish really beats DTV.

It appears I will have to find an "alternative" way to watch it this year and DTV will not get an extra few bucks from me. Our 2 year commitment is up this month and considering how upset my wife was this morning with DTV it may spell out future issues staying with DTV.

Last edited:
DTV does not offer a Spanish add on package of any sort.

Actually I believe they still do; it was called Opcion Espanol. It was like $15 & it simply added all the Spanish channels to any base pkg. I know I read others on this board that have added it in the past - might want to play CSR roulette & give it another shot.

Update...

Well I looked on the website and noticed a EN Espanol under International packages for 14.99.

To make a long story short I called DTV to verify that 460 (TVE) was in that package and he said it was. He also found a cheaper package called Directv Americas which was 7.99 and included that channel so he added that since we are only interested in the one channel anyways.

The bad part is that I went to remote program my DVR from the Directv website and even though it is listed in the guide at home on the receiver it is not listed on the website properly. I had to record 3 programs to cover the 2 hours that it will be on.

Thanks for the heads up on the other package. Now why couldn't the rep and supervisor from this morning figure that out even though we explained to both of them exactly what we wanted?

If you don't mind the occasional buffer dropouts, (although they use a p2p streaming system to try to avoid that), and use Windows, you can watch Eurovision live on the official fansite, Eurovision Song Contest - Oslo 2010, or at least you could every other year lately.

This doesn't help if you need to record it, of course. I have a 36" Ku-band dish and watched it tape-delayed at 8PM EDT today on BVN (Best of Flanders and the Netherlands) on AMC-4, and later found it airing on BelarusTV and TRT (Turkey) on Galaxy 19. I expect it also aired or will air at some point on RTPi (Portugal), LTV World (Lithuania), and TVRI (Romania), but I have no idea when they're scheduling it. (This is all free of course -- the only language I can muddle through with any confidence is French, so I'd never pay inflated prices for foreign channels for three nights a year.)

Well the channel was on but the guide on the DTV website was incorrect even though it was correct on my receiver before I left. I tried to remote DVR it and just picked the 3 programs that would have been on during the 2hrs of Eurovision. As I expected the program did not record. Because the website and the DVR guide didn't match it recorded way before and set 2 things for the next day.

If DTV had just done this in the morning when I first called them I could have set it when I was home. I had to procure it from a different source so I will be watching it tonight and then tomorrow I will set it to record manually.

Is this thing sort of like "American Idol" except bigger and nobody in the US has heard of it of course?

Is this thing sort of like "American Idol" except bigger and nobody in the US has heard of it of course?

Yes and no. Yes, it is a European music contest, but these are REAL singers and bands from all over Europe, not some karaoke-lite singing contest. And yes, for the most part no one in the US knows about it.

I've been watching Eurovision on TVE for years.
TVE will air some special programmign related to their Spanish singer, then the Eurovision song contest live from Norway, after the contest the Spanish comments. Later at night they'll rerun the contest.

Is never listed on the Directv guide.

directv americas

When I called Directv the CSR told me there was no such package as DIRECTV AMERICAS...maybe I;ll try an email...I was told the cheapest spanish package was like $20 month, which I know isn't accurate...so what chs. are in the Directv Americas for 7.99 is Gol Tv? Thanks.

Update...

Well I looked on the website and noticed a EN Espanol under International packages for 14.99.

To make a long story short I called DTV to verify that 460 (TVE) was in that package and he said it was. He also found a cheaper package called Directv Americas which was 7.99 and included that channel so he added that since we are only interested in the one channel anyways.

The bad part is that I went to remote program my DVR from the Directv website and even though it is listed in the guide at home on the receiver it is not listed on the website properly. I had to record 3 programs to cover the 2 hours that it will be on.

Thanks for the heads up on the other package. Now why couldn't the rep and supervisor from this morning figure that out even though we explained to both of them exactly what we wanted?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

swm and other questions

D* dish setup question...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts