Exactly what do we lose if we drop BB@H?

navychop

Member of the Month - July 2014!
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Jul 20, 2005
Northern VA
I touched on this in a different thread, but it fell thru the cracks.

If we drop BB@H, we lose the 21 channels. Given. And the discs by mail is now history. What does that leave? Well, it leaves the streaming titles, no? And are they streaming, or downloadable? I notice the Dish site says "streaming" but I recall downloading a single free title and seeing it under "Rentals." Didn't watch it in time and it expired.

If I look at On Demand, I see 19,945 titles. I can pick BB@H, or TV shows, or TV series, etc. I guess the BB@H titles (which don't seem to be identified as such) are all "free" - included as part of the $10/month fee, along with the 21 channels. If I drop BB@H, I presume all, or nearly all, free On Demand movies go away, leaving just the for-fee ones. Exactly (well, roughly) how many movies/TV shows are left available if you drop BB@H? I can't seem to separate out the usual Dish On Demand titles from the BB@H titles on my Hopper.

Or do I misunderstand the system? Maybe the BB@H titles stay, just become for-fee?

You should be able to hit 'Menu' and then the Blockbuster icon to get a list of (approx.) 4000 or so movies that are 'free' but that can be a bit misleading as a lot of those titles are junk ~ I would say around 500 solid HD titles made up mostly of the Encore/Starz/Epix/HDMovies/SMC libraries. It's kind of nice if you don't have Starz already (actually, no real reason to have Starz if you can grab their stuff via download). Yeah, without subscription, I think those same titles are around $ 3 for older movies.

They are 'streaming' in that you can call them up nearly instantly - takes about 5 seconds to get going on my setup. Then they stay on the DVR ('Rentals) for around a month but that can vary. Hope that helps. You can get a promo price of $ 5/month on BBAH - to me, that is a no brainer, even without the DVDs. At $ 10, not sure it is worth it (IMO).

Yes, thank you. So nothing goes away, they just start charging.

You can always experiment, see what drops off, and report back. ;)

Yes, there's a thought. I'll probably do it, as we've used On Demand only once since Hoppered.

Lets plot this out. WHICH movies, etc to DL "free" and test later- to see if playable after cnx, and if still available, "for fee."

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

If you order on average say 4 titles at around $2.99 each, you would be over $10. I believe there may be some titles at $.99, but then 11 would put you over as well. It depends on your viewing habits so it may be worth it to some, but not everyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)