EXCLUSIVE: Dish Vip 622 & Vip 222 Specs

I guess the day I bite for HDTV is when I get an upgrade to the HD DVR that is identical in functionality and features as my current dual tuner DVR's. I bet the same goes for most others as the average subscriber is not going to shell out a lot of money to get HDTV. They will switch back to cable in a heartbeat even if they have to lease the receiver because they dont have to shell out a lot of money upfront.

I am with a few others on this. Considering I already sub to AEP, HD, and Voom it makes no sense to me to purchase a receiver. I am and will be glad if they offer a lease deal as an upgrade path to the new HD-DVR. Also when you lease you no longer pay the additional receiver fee, only the lease fee so you actually are breaking even!

For me it was cheaper to buy an 811 of ebay then to pay all the fees dish wanted to lease it to me. Plus I didn't want to be forced into the hd pack if I didn't want it. My understanding is they now require at60 plus the hd pack to lease an 811. I mainly wanted it for hbo and showtime.

Hello and Happy new year to All,
I own a 811, I get my local off air listings and all works well with timers, with that said, will I see the same local listing off air info with the Vip611 to be able to timer record or will I have to purchase local listing from Dish.
Sorry if this has already been coveed, I didn't spot anything in this thread.

Here is a picture of the VIP622 taken by Scott today at the CES....

Attachments

• DSC_0086.JPG
    DSC_0086.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 202
The ViP 322 has been renamed the ViP222.

In addition check the CES area for photos of the 222 and 622 receivers including official specs.

Scott Greczkowski said:
The ViP 322 has been renamed the ViP222.

In addition check the CES area for photos of the 222 and 622 receivers including official specs.
I'm glad that they are calling it ViP222 instead of the ViP333. This will eliminate mass confusion from the people that don't keep up with the latest updates.

Stargazer said:
I notice that they are going to continue the 322 name but add ViP to it b ut change the model numbers on the other ones a little.

I think it is a mistake to have the second tuner only 480i. They should have both tuners HD instead of just one. I guess they were trying to keep the price down on the receiver. They need a nonDVR dual tuner HD receiver.

I wonder if the ethernet will be for sharing the video on a home network as Shawn95GT is saying or if it will be used for broadband content or both.

Too bad they couldnt have the tv 2 out put in ATSC on a digital tv for those tv's that are HDTV ready and can scan in digital.. so you can have hdtv on both tvs. that would make sence :)

goaliebob99 said:
Too bad they couldnt have the tv 2 out put in ATSC on a digital tv for those tv's that are HDTV ready and can scan in digital.. so you can have hdtv on both tvs. that would make sence :)

Doesn't the real issue regarding TV2 output boil down to copy protection?

Consider the wiring that a typical house might have between wherever the main DVR is and the second TV. It's probably coax, right? I doubt a lot of homes have 50' DVI or component runs; feel free to correct me, but I'm not holding my breath.

So they could use ATSC, or QAM, or any kind of modulation scheme that runs over coax. The problem is that there are already plenty of cheap capture devices on the market that can grab those signals and write them to a hard drive. If E* were to try putting any kind of HD signal over coax, they'd piss off a lot of their content providers while kneecapping their own DVR business. Pretty neat trick.

The only way I can think of around this is to encrypt the content and put a small STB at TV2 . . . but even then, you could conceivably use a PC as a bit bucket and place it on the coax line, capturing whichever shows you wanted to. A little inconvenient, and theoretically the files would still be slaved to the E* boxes in your house, but if you're E* you're still allowing for a way for your customers to timeshift and you're not seeing a dime from it.

Airblair said:
I doubt a lot of homes have 50' DVI or component runs; feel free to correct me, but I'm not holding my breath.

Actually I run 35' HDMI cable from 942 to the projector in the basement. Component from 942 goes to the main TV. Optical output from 942 I split to the receivers in the main room and in the basement. I can watch both TV and projector with Dolby sound at the same time.
BTW 35' HDMI and 50' toslink cables I bought for ~$25 each, and evrything works perfectly.:)

I currently have 5 (and 5 HD Tuners connected to them) . I could be in the outer limits of the curve I suspect... :D

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
By the way, this is coming from a guy who has 2 HDTV's in his house with another coming within a year's time. I take back the last statement about not many people having even 1 HD TV in their home. The penetration is in double digit percentage but having more than 1 HD TV in the home is still very small.

Minsk1 said:
BTW 35' HDMI and 50' toslink cables I bought for ~$25 each, and evrything works perfectly.:)

Where, may I ask, did you get long runs of cable that inexpensively? PM me if you must...

I have a similar set up with only the toslink running at the moment and coax for video.

thx

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)