EXCLUSIVE: Dish Vip 622 & Vip 222 Specs

942 to 622 mods?

with all the whining going on across the forums (not trying to disparage anyone - I'm guilty too), has anyone looked further into the possibility of a chip or motherboard mod/upgrade for the 942 boxes? Seems like other than lacking MPEG-4, it's identical to the 622

It would make me much happier if I could bump my <1 month-old box to a fully functional setup.

No external buttons on the new receivers sucks. Also there is no UHF remote. Echostar is cutting costs at all possible places.
I wonder how many USB outputs these units have in total as well? They should put in plenty because they will need more: external storage, pocketDish, and who knows whats next?

Last edited:
Anyone know anything about "DishComm Technology"???

That 622 photo is the first I'm hearing of it.

LASooner said:
Anyone know anything about "DishComm Technology"???
That 622 photo is the first I'm hearing of it.
It talks about it in one of the PDFs that Scott posted.

Basicly it uses 'HomePlug' to network the receivers. Only one reciever in the house will need a phone line if you have 'DishComm' compatible recievers.

Shawn

dogday:

There is a thread here somewhere that discussed taking back 942 units and replacing the motherboard and turning them into the 942+. Apparently this idea was dropped. Cost and the difficulty in adding an Ethernet port probably killed it.

rtt2:

Look at the back of the VIP622. The photos clearly show a coax connector labelled "remote antenna." There IS a UHF remote for the VIP622, and I believe all 2 tuner boxes will have UHF remotes so people watching TV2 in another room can control their viewing.

New HD Programming - Not Compatible with 921-942

Am I the only person who noticed that the new HD programming (ESPN2, Universal HD and HD Locals) is MPEG4 and therefore not compatible with the older HD receivers? If there is no upgrade path for the 921 or 942 then I'll have to buy yet another reciever just to get the programming I want. (ESPN2 and Locals)

Hopefully Dish will offer some kind of an upgrade path for current HD receiver owners. If not I guess I'll cancel and start a new account. I really wish they'd realize that they need to take care of their current high end customers when they are releasing new equipment every 9 months to a year.

Or am I missing something? Based on what I know if the data is MPEG4 then our MPEG2 boxes won't even be able to play with it. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks

STAC

Announced last week..... 622 can be gotten by trading in your existing HD PVR for $99 on April 1st. Any receiver can be exchanged when they release for $299. Note these are now leased receivers.

Also note that the new channels will be in Mpeg2, but labeled as Mpeg4 so only the new machines can see them. They are tryiong to force people to upgrade, yet they don't have machines ready to go yet (should be next month).

They wanted to grab attention at the Consumer Electronics Show, but they rushed this upgrade before they were ready. Most of us feel they should activate the channels in Mpeg2 with Mpeg2 headers so all HD boxes can see them, but they feel that giving us channels and then taking them away in a few months would be worse. Um, OK, whatever.....

Is there no buttons on the 622 either? That is VERY stupid to have no buttons on the front of the receivers but now that I think about it they are rarely used unless someone's batteries go dead. Just something else to go wrong with them.

JamesThurber said:
I didn't have a chance to read through all the replies but I found out today(1/16/06) that the new equipment is due to be released on April 1 of this year.

Where did you find that out? People say things in these forums that become rumors. Did you hear it from a CSR? They can't be trusted either. If you heard it from an E* employee, how high in the company are they?

JamesThurber said:
I didn't have a chance to read through all the replies but I found out today(1/16/06) that the new equipment is due to be released on April 1 of this year.
Do you have some more info to back this claim up? Sounds to me like you are getting the April 1st mixed up with the rebate promotion start date.

Stargazer said:
Is there no buttons on the 622 either? That is VERY stupid to have no buttons on the front of the receivers but now that I think about it they are rarely used unless someone's batteries go dead. Just something else to go wrong with them.
IIRC, the buttons are behind the right-side door.

Anyone notice that second sign in the photo of the 622 reads "DishCOMM technology allows phone and other data to be sent throughout the home over existing power wiring" --?

You could read a lot into that.

And the first sign says,

"Store recorded standard and high definition programming from ViP622 DVR and DISH Player-DVR 942 receivers on any compatible USB hard drive.

Create video libraries without tapes or DVDs.

Uses rapid USB 2.0 transfer.

No loss in sound or video quality.

Transfer back to DVR to view archibed content."

That seems clear it's for offloading your video onto any storage media that will take it, but they're pointedly saying their intention is for you to play it only through the 622.

But I can't stop thinking about what they plan to be transmitting through my homes' existing power wiring!