Expanded RSNs vs. Purchasing Sports Subscriptions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeditig

Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
cleveland
If you purchase the sports pack or upgrade to premier which grants you an expanded RSN, do you still need to purchase the Sports subscription (NHL Center ICE, MLB Extra Innings, NBA Pass, etc) to watch games on that expanded RSN?

For 99 people out of 100, yes. All live NHL, NBA, pre-season NFL, WNBA, MLS, and some live college footbal and basketball (those game included in Full Court or Game Plan), and all in-season live and tape MLB are blacked out on distant RSNs. The Sports Pack will bring you some extra college sports and reruns of the above mentioned games, pre- and post game shows and such ONLY. It will not bring you extra live pro sports.

The only exception has to do with rural people in areas claimed by multiple teams. For example, I get the Ohio RSNs (Reds, Blue Jackets, Indians) in the basic package, but the Sports Pack gets me the Pittsburgh RSN as well, with the Pirates and Penguins. This situation only applies to a very few people.

Expanded RSNs vs Pro Subscriptions

That is the dilemma i cant figure out. I live in cleveland (44124) and i cant watch Pittsburgh hockey games on NHL network (i even purchase Center Ice) because DirecTv says i am blacked out because FSN pittsburgh is my Expanded RSN and the game is available on it but i dont subscribe to the SportsPak.

So if i drop Center Ice and upgrade to sportspak (thus acquiring FSn Pittsburgh) will I be able to watch the hockey games?

I dont see how i have to purchase both Center Ice and Sportspak? it happens for every NHL network game as FSN pittsburgh also carries the game but Center Ice does not (which is still 18 games this year).

I am in a quandry... without versus on directv as well I will lose out on about 35 pittsburgh games this year which makes Center Ice really not worth it.

Based on your zipcode DirecTV Choice package or above you get FSN Ohio on ch. 660 for Cleveland Cavaliers and Columbus Blue Jackets games. With Choice Xtra you also get Sports Time Ohio on ch. 662 for Cleveland Indians games. If you have the Premier package or the Sports Pack you would also get FSN Pittsburgh on ch. 659 for Pittsburgh Penguins games.

If you have Center Ice check every Center Ice channel the Penguins are playing on see if you can get the game there. I've had to do that sometimes when my local MLB team is not playing on their usual RSN channel.

thanks, but my question is: If i DONT have Center Ice, and I just purchase the sports pak which grants me FSN pittsburgh, will i get to watch the Penguin games on FSn pittsburgh or will they be "not purchased" since i wont have Center Ice.

The issue it that when the NHL network broadcasts NHL game, the RSNs still broadcast the games as well. In fact, the NHL Network usually just takes one of the feeds and puts in on their channel.

Understand this is a quirk in the system when NHL Network debuted last year. Unlike NBC or versus, local RSNs can still broadcast their games if the game is selected for an NHL Network broadcast, with NBC and Versus, they are not allowed. So Center Ice does not carry the game because it thinks NHL network is carrying its own broadcast and nobody else is carrying the game. However, since an expanded RSN in my zip code (44124) which is FSN PGH is still airing the game, for whatever reason, DirecTv blacks out my game on NHL network because it says i should upgrade to Sportspak to watch the game on FSN pittsburgh.

To me this is just circular logic: If i purchase the sports pack, i cannot watch Penguin games on FSN Pgh because i have to purchase NHL Center ICE, which grants me viewing rights to NHL Network. however, i cant watch Penguin games on NHL Network because i have to purchase the sports pak to watch the games on FSN PGH.

Am i crazy or does this make sense to anybody.:mad:

thanks, but my question is: If i DONT have Center Ice, and I just purchase the sports pak which grants me FSN pittsburgh, will i get to watch the Penguin games on FSn pittsburgh or will they be "not purchased" since i wont have Center Ice.

The Sports Pack will bring you any Penguins content on FSN-P.

Status
Please reply by conversation.