External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

What do you expect, their beta testers are all staff members of the other forum. (And we see how well they do that.) No wonder why people are reporting bugs. :)

This is where you need to work your valuable contacts. We're able and willing to be testers for all kinds of hardware and software but have no idea how to "get involved".

:)

From Seagate. For FreeAgent:

Description

How do I change the Drive Sleep Interval on my FreeAgent drive?

Answer

You can choose how long your FreeAgent drive should remain inactive before it goes into power-saving mode. To adjust the drive sleep interval:
Open the Seagate FreeAgent Tools application. Click Utilities in the Command panel.
The Utilities window opens. Click Adjust Drive Sleep Interval.
The Adjust Drive Sleep Interval window opens. Select an interval from the dropdown menu (e.g. Never)
Click Apply to save the Drive Sleep Interval setting.
The Adjust Drive Sleep Interval window confirms that the power setting for your drive has been changed. Click OK to return to the Utilities window.

NightRyder
But, when the 622 reformats the drive, all that will be wipe away, won't it? It's a Windows supported feature is it not?

Yes, Same question here. Does the drive have to reformatted or will windows recognize the drive and will the utilities allow you to change the setting without reformatting. If so, I guess I can transfer shows back to the 622 and follow the steps :).
No, 622 formats Linux. Windows would have to reformat to NTFS to address it.

I have a freeagent 320GB same problem. Activated the unit, went to manage device, transfer to device, I got message to call to activate even though I already had. Okay, went back to manage device again, then transfer to, my list came of devices to transfer to, tried to xfer, got error in transferring message. Tried again, same result. Rebooted 622, got message "incompatible drive attached". Rebooted drive, it then worked like a champ, transferred one SD and one HD show. Playback is fine. We'll see what happens today when I try to access the drive.
I had the same problem with my sg fa 500. I think I tied too soon after activating, the csr told me I was his first to ask him for that and he told it would work right away but other's have said it take's 10 to 20 minutes. then I transfered my whole movie archive, which was almost my entire hd space on 622, it took about 11 hrs with no problems, so far working as advertised. I have played from ext hd ,transfered back to main and played and everthing is fine, so I am wondering if this might have to do with how old your box is, mine is in the 82----- range, I just got it as a replacement a few month's ago. maybe everybody with problems should list their serial # with your post to see if the problem might be in certain serial # ranges. I read on another thread something about the 622's having different componets in older versions. It will only take few posts to disprove that possibilty.

The Seagate utility must be run from Windows BUT the sleep setting is independent of the OS, it is set in the drive firmware.

You "should" be able to hook your drive to Windows, use the utility just for the sleep interval and then rehook it to the 622 without having to format anything.

From Seagate. For FreeAgent:

Description

How do I change the Drive Sleep Interval on my FreeAgent drive?

Answer

You can choose how long your FreeAgent drive should remain inactive before it goes into power-saving mode. To adjust the drive sleep interval:
Open the Seagate FreeAgent Tools application. Click Utilities in the Command panel.
The Utilities window opens. Click Adjust Drive Sleep Interval.
The Adjust Drive Sleep Interval window opens. Select an interval from the dropdown menu (e.g. Never)
Click Apply to save the Drive Sleep Interval setting.
The Adjust Drive Sleep Interval window confirms that the power setting for your drive has been changed. Click OK to return to the Utilities window.

NightRyder

Wonder if that sticks around after reformatting? if so, I guess I can move it to the PC, change the setting, then let the 622 re-reformat!

Wonder if the PC will recognize the drive since the 622 has referomatted it.

But, when the 622 reformats the drive, all that will be wipe away, won't it? It's a Windows supported feature is it not?

No, HDD tools like Seagate's SeaTools and Hitachi's Feature Tool work with the firmware in the HDD itself. Once the firmware is adjusted/set to how you want, it will work independently of whatever file system is put on the drive.

No, HDD tools like Seagate's SeaTools and Hitachi's Feature Tool work with the firmware in the HDD itself. Once the firmware is adjusted/set to how you want, it will work independently of whatever file system is put on the drive.
What if one did not change the settings before formatting on the 622?

So if I bought a new FA 500 and hooked it to the 622, which formatted the drive, I no longer have the utility to solve the spindown issue, which may or may not be an issue. :confused:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts