External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

It is not possible to transfer files from one DVR to another except through the external hard drive (EHD), which only works for the 622/722 (/612?) household key.

The 522 and all earlier DVRs have USB 1.1 or so, IIRC, so the transfer rate if allowed would be very slow. You cannot record the TV ports, only the transport stream that comes from the satellite or the encrypted EHD.

Technically speaking, there are no ADCs to convert an analog signal into digital storage--it is one of the things that makes it different from some TiVos.
-Ken

ok- i've searched this thread (47 pages!) but no specific info found-- similar tho-

i have a 722 that is being replaced - i bought a maxtor 4 500gb and transferred 2 programs. then i went to transfer more and i kept getting error message (855) on the screen. i unplugged the usb and plugged it back in and set it up to transfer a bunch of shows - about 20gb. status came up and said 7 or so hours - so i went to bed. well i just got up and nothing new was transfered. i just tried transferring another show and i get the 855 message again.

i got the maxtor from staples for only $69 - but if another brand is more reliable then so be it! i've seen mixed reviews on all these EHD's....

is it just the bug of EHD as in the thread or am i doing something wrong? any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

ok- i've searched this thread (47 pages!) but no specific info found-- similar tho-

i have a 722 that is being replaced - i bought a maxtor 4 500gb and transferred 2 programs. then i went to transfer more and i kept getting error message (855) on the screen. i unplugged the usb and plugged it back in and set it up to transfer a bunch of shows - about 20gb. status came up and said 7 or so hours - so i went to bed. well i just got up and nothing new was transfered. i just tried transferring another show and i get the 855 message again.

i got the maxtor from staples for only $69 - but if another brand is more reliable then so be it! i've seen mixed reviews on all these EHD's....

is it just the bug of EHD as in the thread or am i doing something wrong? any advice suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Maxtor is essentially a Seagate drive, and these have had several problems related to "sleep mode". Simply, they're not reliable. Do yourself a favor and do not buy another off the shelf drive, as NONE of them are up to the rigors of this type of video. Shop for a WD AAKS series or Seagate DB35 series internal hard drive. These are designed for DVR use. Then get an aluminum external enclosure.

While Quantum was bought out by Maxtor who was in turn bought out by Seagate, they are not the same mechanisms.

It is best to stick with Seagate or Western Digital. Units based on Maxtor or Hitachi "Death Star" drives seem less reliable.

Methinks Jim is far from an expert on tech however. ;)

Some 1TB drives have worked for people, so though not officially supported, some brands do work. It'd be interesting to see what the functional limit really is...

Do the 1 TB drives allow you to use the entire 1 TB of space or only 750 GB of the space?

Is there a list of hard drives that do work and do not work? If not then it would be nice if someone could come up with a list and the pro's and con's of each.

I am wanting to get a 750 GB hard drive (even more if Dish Network software allows more than 750 GB of use) and I would like to know which ones work the best. I want to get one as cheap as possible from ebay that is 750 GB without sacrificing reliability.

Is the Maxtor OneTouch STM307504OTA3E1-RK 750 GB external hard drive a good one to use?

Is the Maxtor OneTouch STM307504OTA3E1-RK 750 GB external hard drive a good one to use?
I have had 2 of these for about 3 weeks, both have around 500+ gigs of space left... have had no problems, have used the 500 gig drives like these for awhile...have to power boot like seagates occasionally...

Maxtor is essentially a Seagate drive, and these have had several problems related to "sleep mode". Simply, they're not reliable. Do yourself a favor and do not buy another off the shelf drive, as NONE of them are up to the rigors of this type of video. Shop for a WD AAKS series or Seagate DB35 series internal hard drive. These are designed for DVR use. Then get an aluminum external enclosure.

thanks for the info - couple questions - i'm not too handy - are these difficult to put together? also - are they readily available at your local office stores?

for clarification -
i also noticed today that i couldn't delete a show off the Maxtor till i powered off/on. are these the type of things that make it unreliable? that i'll have to reboot it now and again? or is there more to it - i see you mentioned the 'rigors' - are they also more likely to fail too?

i'm just trying to figure out my cost savings vs the pain in the arse aspects - thanks for your help - i do appreciate it.

I have 5 Maxtors and 2 Seagate EHDD's... other than power booting, I have had no problems with these drives... I have a Seagate M Series eSata Drive I have used with my Directv Dvr 24/7 for 5 months (takes the place of the internal drive) with no problems...

How often do you have to powerboot these, when do you know that you have to powerboot them, and what happens if you do not powerboot them? What happens to cause you to have to powerboot it? I do not want to lose any recordings as a result of it not getting powerbooted but if it is something simple as it not wanting to delete a show and needs powerbooting once in a while then that is not a big deal at all.

If you haven't accessed the drive in several hours you will not be able to delete programs or move programs to or from it and sometimes usually overnight the drive will be blank for the drive even though it will show how much room it has left... I am used to it and if it has been awhile since I have accessed the drive will powerboot it...

If you haven't accessed the drive in several hours you will not be able to delete programs or move programs to or from it and sometimes usually overnight the drive will be blank for the drive even though it will show how much room it has left... I am used to it and if it has been awhile since I have accessed the drive will powerboot it...

that's what i'm going thru with my maxtor 500g - so that's normal for this type of HD? i shouldn't worry about it?

So it does not affect recording capability then, only the transferability of the programs, until a reboot, after several hours of inactivity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)