External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

I searched through the thread and cant seem to find an answer. Can an external HD be swapped between a HD 722 and SD 625?
The 625 (or any other SD receiver) does NOT support external USB hard drives so no, it will not work that way. The EHD of a ViP722 is compatible only with VIP series DVRs.

The 625 (or any other SD receiver) does NOT support external USB hard drives so no, it will not work that way. The EHD of a ViP722 is compatible only with VIP series DVRs.

And the VIP 211 is not a DVR even with the external HD, it acts like one though. So, you can't transport and external HD between a 211 and 722....

I have a 722 vip receiver and a seagate 1tb external harddrive.I have been moving programs from the 722 to ext harddrive without any problem until today.
I have rebooted my receiver and unplugged the harddrive but I am getting error messages in the transfer process.Anyone else having or had this problem??

Sorry if this was covered.

I have a WD-750 My Passport drive that worked for a few weeks on my 211. Then errored out.

Now I read that a USB powered HD won't work. True?

The WD elements has been recomended on here. Is that ext powered?

Sorry if this was covered.

I have a WD-750 My Passport drive that worked for a few weeks on my 211. Then errored out.

Now I read that a USB powered HD won't work. True?

The WD elements has been recomended on here. Is that ext powered?
Any external powered drive. Yes to the Elements. You were lucky the Passport worked at all.

My technophobic friend has a VIP622 controller. Wants a VIP722K controller so he can use the Western Digital My-Book AV DVR Expander 1TB hard drive. Western Digital has a 500 GB unit for all VIP series controllers but for the 1TB unit the only Dish Network controller mentioned by WD is the VIP722K.

Can my friend swap a 622 for a 722K? Three 622s have failed on him (they send refurb controllers). In each case he has lost all events, concerts, and movies he had collected.

Summary:

. Can my friend swap his VIP622 for a new VIP722K?
. If not, is there a 1TB hard drive that's VIP622 compatible out there somewhere? Note: The afore mentioned 1TB Model WDBABT0010HBKWD hard drive costs $149.99)

My technophobic friend has a VIP622 controller. Wants a VIP722K controller so he can use the Western Digital My-Book AV DVR Expander 1TB hard drive. Western Digital has a 500 GB unit for all VIP series controllers but for the 1TB unit the only Dish Network controller mentioned by WD is the VIP722K.
Tell your friend that he can use just about any USB 2.0 hard drive from 40GB up to 2TB with his existing ViP622. No need to change receivers.

Thanks! Now .. Is there any way someone who already has Dish Network's leased VIP622 to get a new VIP722? I ask because my friend who records many, many movies and concerts, and other events has, since his original long time VIP622 finally failed, has had two failures of replacement units and another replacement unit acting up - they keep sending 'refurbished' units that don't last very long.

Thanks! Now .. Is there any way someone who already has Dish Network's leased VIP622 to get a new VIP722? I ask because my friend who records many, many movies and concerts, and other events has, since his original long time VIP622 finally failed, has had two failures of replacement units and another replacement unit acting up - they keep sending 'refurbished' units that don't last very long.

We're veering off topic, but I don't know that getting a ViP722 would necessarily resolve his problems. Additionally, I'm not sure why he keeps having 622 failures. My 622 and 722 have been rock solid for several years.

But, if he wants a 722, assuming he's not under a contract, for an upgrade fee (probably $200) and a 24 month commitment (contract), I'm sure he can get one (even a 722k).

The one and only Adam Gott? I've loved your website for years! I had no idea you were on this forum.

Back on topic: Many times, large volume drives are actually two separate discs using a single interface. DISH STB's don't play well with those.

I am pretty sure that it is not two hard drives but I guess I can pry it apart and look. If anything it would be two hard drives laying side by side.

If it's much larger than a single hard drive, then it could likely be two 1TB drives in a case, whether stacked or side-by-side...and as has been stated, the 622 (or any VIP series receiver) doesn't get along with more than one physical drive in a case.

Well the case that I have may be able to hold two drives side by side but it would be a very tight squeeze. I guess I will measure and then decide if I should take it apart.

I was looking at the bestbuy website (Toshiba - 2TB External USB 2.0 and eSATA Hard Drive - PH3200U-1EXB) and it seems that this drive may also have a time-out 'feature' that I may need to disable (?).

These things are on clearance right now for $108 which is an ok deal. I got an email yesterday from someone else (buy.com I think) that was offering a 2 TB drive for $100. But it's not going to end up being that great of a deal for me if I can't use it with my dvr's!

Well the case that I have may be able to hold two drives side by side but it would be a very tight squeeze. I guess I will measure and then decide if I should take it apart.

I was looking at the bestbuy website (Toshiba - 2TB External USB 2.0 and eSATA Hard Drive - PH3200U-1EXB) and it seems that this drive may also have a time-out 'feature' that I may need to disable (?).

These things are on clearance right now for $108 which is an ok deal. I got an email yesterday from someone else (buy.com I think) that was offering a 2 TB drive for $100. But it's not going to end up being that great of a deal for me if I can't use it with my dvr's!

Read this about it at jr.com:
This hard drive includes a virtual CD that is "hard-coded" on it -- in other words, you can't get rid of it. On the virtual CD there is backup software, but this software only recognizes and backs up pre-determined file types. Yes, you can choose from a list, but if you have data like I do that isn't a traditional file type, forget about using the software for automatic backup. The virtual CD also has a storage meter on it to tell you how full your drive is. You don't have to install these features, but the virtual CD will pop up in "Computer" whenever the HDD is connected. To me -- annoying and unwanted.

That might be part of the problem the 622 is having with it. Not sure if the 622 is eliminating this on reformat, or if it's in ROM somewhere on the drive controller board... I think I'd go with a different drive, since you have an opportunity to do so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts