External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

I thought that we can use 2 TB drives now?

I have been doing a little research and it seems that it is quite easy to get rid of that virtual cd thing (actually I think that it just a partition of the hard drive).

I already have the drive so I don't think that I will be returning it.. I think Best Buy charges a restocking fee now (?).

I have a few days off soon so I will try to get this thing working.

Max of 1 TB per physical platter I believe.

Nah. The guy at the other side of the USB cable doesn't care how the platters are laid out. And, I've plugged 1.5 and 2 TB drives into my 622.

Adam: That case sure doesn't look big enough to hold drives. You should at least plug the drive into a PC and make sure it's functioning properly. You might also be able to identify the actual drive manufacturer (I don't know if Toshiba is making a 2 TB Drive). The reviews at Newegg indicate it's a Samsung Drive.

It wouldn't hurt to delete the existing partitions (on a PC), then try the 622 again.
I have found the 622 to be a bit picky. There just seem to be some USB controllers it just doesn't get along with.

There are some 4k sector drives that could cause problems, but I don't think Samsung is making these yet.

There seems to be a somewhat high level of complaints at newegg. There's also mention of a "Gen 2" which might be better.

I definately would not try to pry it open. If anything, you might want to return it and get another.

For Movie storage (no useful folders), I've been sticking with 1.5TB (the list is getting too long to scroll through).

I just bought a Toshiba 2TB drive and my 622 says that it is not compatible? Would it help if I formatted it first in Windows or Ubuntu?

From one the New Egg Reviews:
Pros: Thin. Has power button. Fanless.

Cons: Comes with U3-clone virtual CD crapware. Virtual CD not be removed. Power adapter is a big outlet blocking brick.

Other Thoughts: Will not be buying Toshiba external HDDs again.

Does it do anyting "special" on the PC? Like mount two devices (a virtual CD?). This crap could be confusing the 622, rendering the drive incompatible.

These things are on clearance right now for $108 which is an ok deal. I got an email yesterday from someone else (buy.com I think) that was offering a 2 TB drive for $100. But it's not going to end up being that great of a deal for me if I can't use it with my dvr's!
I bought a 2TB Fantom (a little noisy on seeks) $110 from buy.com to use up a Chase 1% rebate. They are no longer together. As other have said that "extra partition" or possibly as I suggested a dual 1TB could be the problem. I think you can find 2TB as low as $90, or was that for an internal, which I could handle as I do for a 1TB and a 1.5TB now in a stand--just as easy as plugging USB cables, now at 9 of them.
-Ken

I got it working! (the Toshiba 2 TB hard drive - PH3200U-1EXB). There was a tool on toshiba's web site "Toshiba_drive_converter" that got rid of the extra partition and (allegedly) removed the 'sleep' function. I know I could have picked up a 2TB drive cheaper on the next but it was only $109 at Best Buy (on clearance) and it is a nice sleek black case (alas with no fan...). Now I can start transferring some of my other 4 hard drives to this one...

Has anyone used this drive?

I found this 2 TB EHD for $110 on Amazon (link below). Looks like a great deal with free shipping (I have Prime) and no sales tax.

Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 - Model # WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN

It has one physical drive and is not USB powered. Has anyone tried it? Does anyone foresee a problem with it? What 2 TB drives are people using? I have a VIP 622 with a 750 GB already attached and plan to copy the files to the new drive and put away the old drive as a backup. My drive is almost full and I don't feel like deleting programs and wouldn't mind keeping the old drive as a backup. Thank you for any advice you can give. :):)

Amazon.com: Western Digital WD Elements 2 TB USB 2.0 Desktop External Hard Drive WDBAAU0020HBK-NESN: Electronics

Thank you very much. I plan to shop for the best price when I am ready to purchase it. I am more concerned with if this drive will work well with my VIP 622. Has anyone used this drive with the VIP 622?

Thank you very much. I plan to shop for the best price when I am ready to purchase it. I am more concerned with if this drive will work well with my VIP 622. Has anyone used this drive with the VIP 622?

Yes, if will work.

Just added WD Essentials 2TB USB 3.0/2.0

WDBACW0020HBK-00 formatted, installed on 722k. No problem. Says 1859GB available, that's before anything transferred to it. Also have 5 WD 750GB that reported less than the amount claimed. Is this normal for a 2TB drive? Thanks.

Learned a hard lesson today...lost 182 movies in the process. :(

Don't ever take an hdd from an enclosure that's not working well (switch wearing out) and put it into a new enclosure. Did that today and my 622 wanted to reformat it (I'm thinking it saw a new controller ID or something)...anyway, the old enclosure was toast and I had no option but to let it reformat it. I damn near cried.

Big task ahead...recollecting 182 movies in HD. So, lesson learned, the hard way...

Learned a hard lesson today...lost 182 movies in the process. :(

Don't ever take an hdd from an enclosure that's not working well (switch wearing out) and put it into a new enclosure. Did that today and my 622 wanted to reformat it (I'm thinking it saw a new controller ID or something)...anyway, the old enclosure was toast and I had no option but to let it reformat it. I damn near cried.

Big task ahead...recollecting 182 movies in HD. So, lesson learned, the hard way...

My biggest fear! My heart goes out to you. I have 6 external drives and worry about that every day. You might want to think about getting an external hard drive, the enclosures I hear about always seem to break down, especially the switches. Oh, and I probably would have cried. You don't get reruns of Academy Awards/Tony Awards and other specials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts