External Hard Drive Archive Bug Thread

Okay, I found a site that says it installs automatically when you connect the drive, so I guess its still there.

Its not there if you already hooked it up to your 622.

Call (or chat) with Seagate and they will give you the URL to download it. They do ask for your serial number. I would give it to you, but they specifically asked me not to pass it out.

thanks I already downloaded it to windows, I'm just not sure what to do with it yet as far as which menu item to use, is this done in the advanced option

Are you sure you are using Seagate FreeAgent Tools, and not SeaTools? I dont see an Advanced option in FreeAgent Tools.

In FreeAgent Tools, its under the Utilities menu.

I downloaded the zip and the readme says this

"The following procedure will install the FreeAgent Desktop Recovery
software to your FreeAgent Pro and/or Pro-Triple drive. The FreeAgent
Desktop Recovery is offered so that you can reload software to your
FreeAgent drive in the event that the original software becomes
lost or corrupted. The procedure will return the software to its
original, default state; it is recommended that you backup any/all
critical data before continuing."

That doesn't seem right, I'll hold out for someone else to try. :)

Are you sure you are using Seagate FreeAgent Tools, and not SeaTools? I dont see an Advanced option in FreeAgent Tools.

In FreeAgent Tools, its under the Utilities menu.
I went to the chat and got the zip file but I don't see a utilities option I am not a windows guy but do have to plug in the drive to pc and put the tools on the drive to get that option thanks

Is anyone else having audio dropout problems when playing HD from the external drive?

I archieved the "Chronicles of Narnia" (MPEG-2 recorded on Starz in December) to the external HD. When I play it back off the HD I get very frequent audio dropouts. I have a 500GB Western Digital Caviar SATA drive hooked to a Galaxy Metal Gear Aluminum USB 2.0 case. The 622 had no problems picking it up and formating it.

Mystery solved. It was a bad recording. When I transferred it back to the 622 it had the same problem. I've checked other HD programs everything else works perfectly.

I've had none of the spin down or other problems with my set up.

When you install it, it installs freeagenttools.exe, which is correct. I told them I wanted to turn off the "sleep" mode and thats the link they gave me.

It installs this on the drive or on my PC? Readme seems to say it will ask where to install and says to select the letter associated with the Seagate. Won't this cause Dish to reformat it when re-connected and therefore lose my recordings?

I went to the chat and got the zip file but I don't see a utilities option I am not a windows guy but do have to plug in the drive to pc and put the tools on the drive to get that option thanks
I chatted with a seagate tech and he told me that you can only make that change on a pro model but I still did not see a utilities option in that zip file

I chatted with a Seagate tech and he told me that you can only make that change on a pro model but I still did not see a utilities option in that zip file

I don't know what to tell you. It worked just fine for me and I have a Desktop model.

Attachments

• freeagent.JPG
    freeagent.JPG
    27.2 KB · Views: 281
I don't know what to tell you. It worked just fine for me and I have a Desktop model.
at this point I think I'll try leaving my 622 on. I went ahead and disabled the inactivity option so it won't turn off and see if that works until I find that download. is there anyway to copy and paste in this forum? other people seem to be getting the same desktop recovery exe, maybe we didn't talk to the right rep at seagate.

instructions freeagent tools

I did a search and found a site about a moxi dvr? but anyway they had the same exact problems with seagate desktop so here how to disable sleep mode
here's the site
http://forums.moxi.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=306

1. Connect my “FreeAgent Desktop External Hard-drive” to my PC. (In my case, I have Windows XP for my PC and the HD which was reformatted by MOXI was not recognized. I had to click yes to “initialize” the HD when asked upon physical connection. To get a letter designation, I went in to Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer management / Storage / Disk management and found that the new HD was assigned as Disk 5. By right-clicking the black bar on the right side of the Disk 5 entry, I got a “partition…” option which eventually got the Windows XP to give the new HD a letter designation - J.)
2. Down load a “desktop-recovery” zip file from www.seagate.com/support/freeagent/desktop-recovery-efigs.zip and save it in the new “FreeAgent Desktop External Hard-drive” - J. This file contains the recovery software that can reload software to the FreeAgent Pro drive in the event that the original software was missing. In my case, this software was never offered with the HD - FreeAgent Desktop Drive. This zip file is very large (196 MB). It took 20 minutes at 127 KB / sec to download. This is the first file of the entire procedure.
3. After unzipping, the recovery software can be executed. It installs the “Install FreeAgent Tools.exe” on your new FreeAgent HD with its support files. The unzipped file is the second file and the “Install Tools.exe” is the third.
4. Run the “Install FreeAgent Tools.exe” program to install “FreeAgent Tools” in the Program / Seagate folder of your C-Drive which is the fourth file of the procedure.
5. Run the “FreeAgent Tools” to set the sleep interval to “never”.

I'll try tomorrow my head hurts after all this , dish should refund everybody's $40 since they said "ANY' usb 2 hard drive would work with no problems and especially with the seagate rep on the tech show:mad:

Ok. My archiving is done. It was 187 GB that it was archived. Not glitch, no errors and now I am watching a program from archive. So far so good.

wow what a mess. Another E* good idea gone bad. Sorta like local weather on the 8s.

Once you get this Seagate Freeagent problem clarified, I hope you will finalize it as a procedure to follow with screen captures if possible.

I hope E* with the Seagate VP come up with a fix for the 622.

Until either of those comes about , I will use the unplug the Seagate route.

Seems like the other hard drive manufactures who don't allow a stop the spin down should be taken off the E* list of useable drives. The statement that any major manufacturer's 40-750 GB drives was a major mistatement. The list is looking much smaller now.

I bought the Western Digital MyBook 750GB external today and called to activate the external drive service. Two or three hours later I went to hook up the drive. I was getting a picture and the dish was working like it should be. It recognized the drive and I went into DVR and then formatted the external drive. It said it would take a few minutes. A few minutes later it rebooted and I got the Attention screen, trying to locate the satellite transponder.... 61.5... and the normal jibberish I get when I have a bad rainstorm. I let it cycle through 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc... reboot... and it did this multiple times. I pulled out the box and checked to make sure I didn't knock something loose, and I didn't. So...... I went into my living room where I have another HD Dish box (222 or whatever, non-DVR) and it had a signal fine on all HD channels and everything I checked.

So about an hour and a half or two hours has gone by and it keeps rebooting and going through 1 of 5, 2 of 5, 3 of 5, etc... and it is not getting a signal. I don't get it. Why would it behave this way just for hooking up an external drive?

Anybody else with this problem? Any other suggestions? :mad:

My issues:

(ViP622 w/ Seagate FreeAgent 500GB)

- Playback from external, hit stop and the screen just freezes. Have to go back to live TV then back in to manage to select other program.
- Programs moved from external drive back to internal are flagged Protected.
- Deleting items from external drive, says it did delete them, but they are still there. Even after moving them back to internal drive, they are still on external (and playable on both with separate resume points).

Wish list item:
About showing external programs in standard PVR menu. It DOES show them while they are being moved back to internal drive with the icon next to them like on the external drive, so it appears to be an easy feature add.

The problems I've had with the external drive not being recognized on the first try, then having to go back into manage for the list to show up are probably related to the FreeAgent spindown timeout. I suspect that those of you with separate drive/enclosures that you assembled (and that don't have spindown) probably do not see this issue. I have a Maxtor 250GB in a Bytecc enclosure from Newegg that I'll try out to check this tomorrow.

All in all, a good first step, but still needs work.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)