External Hard Drive Prices at Best Buy and Circuit City change dramatically!

treiher

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 13, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I have noticed this two weeks in a row now. Western Digital and some of the Seagate External hard drives are much cheaper on Saturday than they are on Sunday. Would never have noticed this, but I bought the 500GB MyBook Essentials from Best Buy on Saturday for $119. Turns out the drive was bad, so when I took it back to exchange on Sunday, the same drive was $169. They did the exchange ofcourse, but I was surprised by the overnight change.

Now I am looking for another one to back-up my work computer and I have noticed the same change across a number of drives from yesterday to today at Both Best Buy and Circuit City. The 500GB MyBook Premium was $149 yesterday, and now it is $199 today.

When it comes to this type of stuff, I have found Best Buy to be anything but a Best Buy. That's why I was shocked to see the low price the first time i went in. Bottom line, watch these stores for Saturday prices. Don't assume it will be there on Sunday for the same price.

Both stores run their sales from Sunday through Saturday, so the prices are going to change as one sale ends and the next begins.

I have noticed this two weeks in a row now. Western Digital and some of the Seagate External hard drives are much cheaper on Saturday than they are on Sunday. Would never have noticed this, but I bought the 500GB MyBook Essentials from Best Buy on Saturday for $119. Turns out the drive was bad, so when I took it back to exchange on Sunday, the same drive was $169. They did the exchange ofcourse, but I was surprised by the overnight change.

Now I am looking for another one to back-up my work computer and I have noticed the same change across a number of drives from yesterday to today at Both Best Buy and Circuit City. The 500GB MyBook Premium was $149 yesterday, and now it is $199 today.

When it comes to this type of stuff, I have found Best Buy to be anything but a Best Buy. That's why I was shocked to see the low price the first time i went in. Bottom line, watch these stores for Saturday prices. Don't assume it will be there on Sunday for the same price.

So the lesson to be learned, if you find a price you like on Saturday, buy it on Saturday. Retailers roller coast prices all the time. That's why we check the circulars.

I found a Seagate at Wal mart for $77 on clearance yesterday. I didn't buy it because it was only 80GB (i think), and I also don't know if you can just hook it up to the DVR, or you have to call Dish for permission.

You don't need Dish's permission to hook it up. If you want to do anything useful with it though, you do need to call.... There's at least one thread at this site about this.

Of course, to argue that BB or CC has better prices is moot, as they match each others prices.
Personally, I almost always buy at BB since it's closer. If CC has a better price I just bring in the sale circular or print out the web page (showing it's in stock at the nearby store) and they match no problem. Yeah, I know, Master of the Obvious.

Of course, to argue that BB or CC has better prices is moot, as they match each others prices.
And it shouldn't really matter if you buy it on Saturday and then find it cheaper on Sunday (or vice versa). I'm pretty sure both stores have a 30 day price guarantee.

True, but any bargain hunter worth their salt will check all the ads for 30 days after they buy a product to see if there's a better price. And will price match even if it's only a couple of dollars... :)

Same thing happened to me when I was shopping for a TV. Best buy was running a sale, and I did not get it in time. No biggy. I find better sales on the net. hint hint

I found a Seagate at Wal mart for $77 on clearance yesterday. I didn't buy it because it was only 80GB (i think), and I also don't know if you can just hook it up to the DVR, or you have to call Dish for permission.

Permission, no. To activate the feature for $39.99, yes.

Seagate 750GB for $189 and Western Digital 500 for $134 at my local store in 92646.

You think they heard about Dish going external drive and tried to cash in??

Seagate 750GB for $189 and Western Digital 500 for $134 at my local store in 92646.

What local store would help

It's time for all the kids to go back to school - jack up the prices, then pretend they are on sale for the former price on the weekends only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)