FCC law regarding ALL video receiving antennas, i.e. OTA, FTA, DBS, etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Live links are allowed, except to pirate sites, and maybe a few others at management discretion. Your link is live right now, regardless of the fact you changed it. The usual method to make sure a link is dead, is to change the beginning http to hxxp. Or to use the option to CODE it, which I'm not sure if this site has that option.

Primestar, how do I edit it? E_V

There's no need to in this case, as it's a safe link, and it works fine for people that click on it.

You can only edit your own posts for a short time (couple hours?) after first creating them. In this case, your time has already run out.

Ya know...basically I think common sense applies here. I can understand about HOA restrictions, apartment complexes, town homes, condos etc. I also can understand where this would come into play if you install any antenna on a city/state easement. Again, common sense comes into play if you live in the middle of town, and think your going to put up one of those huge commercial dishes like 30m or some silly crap. The solution would be to move out of town, buy some land without HOA restrictions, and go nuts! Us Ham operators have been dealing with crap like this for years! Some cities/states require a permit to erect an antenna...so check first, and step back and think for a second before you install. ;)

Just my two cents....
Cheers

I personally dont understand the desire to buy a house with a HOA. I pay for that luxury of owning my own place and having the freedom todo what I wish with the land. Ive moved a few times and had to purchase a new house (Im in the military) and before putting an offer on the house Ive always looked to see if there was a HOA, in which case I looked elsewhere. I also checked the bylaws of the city to make sure I'll be able to put up my antenna's and satellite dish's etc. Why would someone wish to have a HOA? its a genuine question.

UDL

Point of order: The FCC or any other federal agency does not make law. They make regulations. Congress and the President pass laws. Some of these laws either crate an agency or direct an existing agency to enforce the law by making rules and regulations. So this is not an FCC law. This is an FCC regulation interpreting a bill passed by Congress and signed into law by the President.

Last edited:
I personally dont understand the desire to buy a house with a HOA. I pay for that luxury of owning my own place and having the freedom todo what I wish with the land. Ive moved a few times and had to purchase a new house (Im in the military) and before putting an offer on the house Ive always looked to see if there was a HOA, in which case I looked elsewhere. I also checked the bylaws of the city to make sure I'll be able to put up my antenna's and satellite dish's etc. Why would someone wish to have a HOA? its a genuine question.UDL
Updatelee - you might find it of interest - in our city (and most of the cities in Oregon, statewide land use law) now require a HOA for all new subdivisions. I built a new house a year and a half ago with CC&Rs and no HOA - it took the developer a lot of work to get the city to approve it. Most developers won't take the city on - they just do a HOA.
Bob

Updatelee - you might find it of interest - in our city (and most of the cities in Oregon, statewide land use law) now require a HOA for all new subdivisions. I built a new house a year and a half ago with CC&Rs and no HOA - it took the developer a lot of work to get the city to approve it. Most developers won't take the city on - they just do a HOA.
Bob

Wow that crazy! defn sure doesn't interest me any. I only see negatives to a HOA, have yet to see any plus's

UDL

I could never live anywhere with a HOA. "No, that's not allowed", "Only if you do it this way!", "Yes, but no bigger than..." - HOA should stand for Habitually On A$$!:shh

Reactions: TheHamNerd
I just love how people read one article about a over zealous HOA then groups all HOA's together (rolling my eyes)

I lived in a townhouse that had a HOA for 10 years and was actually on the board for about 6 years (4 as president, 1 as VP and 1 as board member) and for us it worked out fine. As long as there are no "outrageous" rules it actually works out. When I first moved in I had Dish Network. Back then (2002) Dish "split" locals on 2 dishes. So for me to get all the Minneapolis stations I needed 2 dishes. The HOA said "only one dish is allowed" and I showed them the proof that in some cases you needed 2 dishes (for locals or International) and the FCC rules they relaxed that rule.
I actually didnt mind it as I didnt need to get home owners insurance (association paid for it) and all I needed was renters insurance (a HO6) which is cheaper :)
It also helps out the areas so people dont have their area look like the dump with non working cars and trash everywhere. Also when you live in townhouses I dont think they want someone painting their garage purple when the rest are grey. I've seen twin houses (2 houses together...no HOA) where one house is painted brown and the other is painted green. Looks kinda dorky if you ask me :)

Only once did they ever get snooty about my dish farm (and I posted that when it happened) but other than that I was in the rules. Made sure my antennas were 11 1/2 feet above the roofline (12 is max). Sure I had the 6 foot dish and they didnt argue that (they could have).
Now I lived in apartments that had more rules than the HOA did. My rental house I have to follow the rules that the home owner says (I can have my antenna up but the dish farm is a no no)

I understand HOA in townhouses/apartments, in this case you only own the inside of the house, not the outside nor the land. The HOA in these cases own the land and exterior, they have the right to say what you do with it. You also pay a condo/strata fee for this.

But with single detached houses where the owner owns the land and the entire building, why would I want someone telling me what color I can or can not paint my house? telling me my dish is 6" to high, or too large, or that I can only have one? You have to look at it on the flip side too, what service is the HOA providing me that I desperately need? I cant find one yet, and haven't heard anyone suggest one either. The "so people dont have their area look like the dump with non working cars and trash everywhere" comment is covered under pretty much all city bylaws, don't need a HOA for that. Here where I live I can only have one uninsured vehicle on the property and if the city deems my property unsightly with garbage then they can fine me. This is pretty standard.

Do single detached homes with HOA also pay a fee to the HOA?

UDL

And what is that 'fee' used for? I.E: What 'service' is provided you by the HOA's said fee?
In some subdivisions, that fee is used to maintain the private roadways, the common grounds(such as a pool area for the subdivision), for the privately owned/controlled utilities(sewer, well, phone, cable), or just to have a big party each year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)