Fear the Walking Dead (Walking Dead spin-off)

The only issue I have with spin-offs for series like this is that is splits the talent pool Unless this is done with a separate creative crew, it can lead to burn-out and more formulaic stories rather than real creativity. I fear the same thing will happen to TWD universe as what happened in the TNG Star Trek universe when DS9 spun off TNG. the quality of TNG in shows is seasons 6 and 7 were dismal in comparison to most of the rest of the series. DS9 started off okay and went down hill from there. I don't want to see this happen to TWD franchise.
That's what I said earlier about over exposure. Too much of one type of show kills the entire genre. CSI was over exposed and now is on it's last leg. NCIS is just now going into over exposure mode with three shows and soon will do the same. Too much Walking Dead might accomplish the same thing. Two Walking DEAD shows with survivors slowly plodding through the country side fighting off zombies and human cannibals and despots , might just be what kills the entire genre.

I understand what you are saying about overexposure. That is, to me, a separate and distinct issue with spin-offs. I guess when you couple the two (overexposure and dilution of the talent pool making for more mediocre shows) can be a fatal combination. But let's hope neither happens. There are a ton of zombie shows, movies, comi...err...graphic novels out there. Oversaturation isn't an issue yet.

The zombie bandwagon is already rolling. Izombie, something about gay zombies on BBC, a poorly acted TWD clone on syfy.

You'd seed each spin-off with original talent and skills. Then add new talent to each. There's natural turnover, but this gives everyone a career path. There can only be one head writer kind of thing, so the underlings have to get higher paying jobs on other new, or existing unrelated shows.

That's what I said earlier about over exposure. Too much of one type of show kills the entire genre. CSI was over exposed and now is on it's last leg. NCIS is just now going into over exposure mode with three shows and soon will do the same. Too much Walking Dead might accomplish the same thing. Two Walking DEAD shows with survivors slowly plodding through the country side fighting off zombies and human cannibals and despots , might just be what kills the entire genre.

One thing that TWD has in its favor compared to Star Trek and other network shows like CSI are shorter seasons. A spin-off merely give us the equivalent of a full season: 16 episodes of TWD + 6 of Fear TWD = 22.
The way cable TV is today, it's hard to believe we once had 26 episode seasons of Deep Space 9 and Star Trek TNG in the same year.

Reactions: TNGTony
Good point. A number of shows are 10 episodes a year, you can lose interest.
How long did gunsmoke or the Simpsons last?

Good point. A number of shows are 10 episodes a year, you can lose interest.
How long did gunsmoke or the Simpsons last?
Gunsmoke had 635 episodes in 20 years. (32 episodes a year on average).

32 episodes a season used to be the norm for network shows before the rise of cable in the 80s. That norm dropped to 26 then to 22 episodes a year as cable channels proliferated and the audience share (and advertising dollars) dispersed.
Now cable channels have 6 to 12 episode runs a year.

Since this is set in Los Angeles, it will be interesting to see if at some point the show explores the option of grabbing a boat and finding sanctuary in one of the relatively uninhabited Channel Islands a few miles off the coast of Southern California. A couple of them are nearly 100 square miles and offer spring water, sheep and other edible flora and fauna, and excellent fishing. Native Americans lived on the islands for centuries until the Spaniards enslaved them or killed them off. Today, there are small military installations on some of the islands, possibly offering a source of weapons and gear should the few dozen military personnel stationed there abandon the bases to fight the apocalypse plaguing the mainland. The rest of the islands form a national park, and only one island, Catalina, is a resort destination and has any kind of year-round resident population.

The TV show hasn't really addressed the idea of heading out to sea, though the concept drove the plot of the first TWD video game by Telltale.

They need to hire you. I think that's a great idea for the show.

I think with younger people in the 18 - 49 age group and their shorter attention spans, that less episodes a year works better. Before they can get bored with anyone show , its off again for another break. We now have the Winter break, the Spring break and the Summer break with new replacement shows and specials in the middle of the breaks. Because people are really not watching Repeats of the current season and want something new to watch. Of course it doesn't explain why many ,like myself, will watch old series tv from the 60's and onward on METV every week . But that is more nostalgia related and watching older shows is like comfort food for certain older generations. I know I love watching Lynda Carter prancing around in her Wonder Woman outfit on Saturday nights. Reminds me of my teenage years all over again.:devilish

Is syndication even a thing anymore? Getting to the 100th episode was a big deal, but other than things I'd never watched I don't think I'd watch again.
Where'd All in the Family go?

Since this is set in Los Angeles, it will be interesting to see if at some point the show explores the option of grabbing a boat and finding sanctuary in one of the relatively uninhabited Channel Islands a few miles off the coast of Southern California. A couple of them are nearly 100 square miles and offer spring water, sheep and other edible flora and fauna, and excellent fishing. Native Americans lived on the islands for centuries until the Spaniards enslaved them or killed them off. Today, there are small military installations on some of the islands, possibly offering a source of weapons and gear should the few dozen military personnel stationed there abandon the bases to fight the apocalypse plaguing the mainland. The rest of the islands form a national park, and only one island, Catalina, is a resort destination and has any kind of year-round resident population.

The TV show hasn't really addressed the idea of heading out to sea, though the concept drove the plot of the first TWD video game by Telltale.

That would kill the whole premise of the show. One would expect that there would be many sanctuaries, perhaps falling one by one around the world. But, if the TV show characters ever ended up there the show would end... It is the constant threat of the world (both living and dead) that is driving the characters.

Is syndication even a thing anymore? Getting to the 100th episode was a big deal, but other than things I'd never watched I don't think I'd watch again.
Last time it played on Nick at Nite was in 2004. I haven't seen it play on any channels lately. Not even Metv.

Probably too UN-PC, ironic considering how important it was at the time for the civil rights, women's rights, anti-gun, etc agenda. They just spun into fascism.
What's metv?

Is syndication even a thing anymore?
Yes, it's still a very big thing. There are all sorts of rerun cable channels and independent TV stations that need programming. As a matter of fact, The Walking Dead was syndicated last year.
http://www.wetpaint.com/walking-dead/articles/2014-06-18-reruns-will-air-wednesday-nights

All in the Family is on Rural TV (Dish Channel 232, DirecTV channel 345) on weekdays 9am and 7pm, and Saturdays 6 and 6:30pm

Reactions: beandaddy
Probably too UN-PC, ironic considering how important it was at the time for the civil rights, women's rights, anti-gun, etc agenda. They just spun into fascism.
What's metv?
An ota sub channel played in many markets , that shows older shows like Star Trek, Wonder Woman, Lost in Space, Voyage to the bottom of the Sea,etc.

www.metvnetwork.com

'Fear the Walking Dead' Boss Reveals Details of AMC's Big Spinoff
https://www.yahoo.com/tv/fear-the-w...-of-119293678275.html?soc_src=mail&soc_trk=ma
Showrunner Dave Erickson talks with THR and says that the series — a “parallel story rather than a prequel” — still won’t reveal the cause of the zombie apocalypse and answers more burning questions about the summer drama.AMC has a lot riding on Fear the Walking Dead.The drama, described as a “companion” series to TV’s No. 1 drama among the advertiser-coveted adults 18-49 demographic, will give the cable network — fresh off the conclusion of Mad Men — a zombie drama in every quarter of the year. It’s also a creative risk of sorts as Robert Kirkman looks to tell a new story (this one set in Los Angeles) that fills in the blanks of the early days of the outbreak — butnot the cause —that changed the world.Fear the Walking Dead starts at the dawn of a flu-like outbreak as one family — played by Cliff Curtis, Kim Dickens, Frank Dillane and Alycia Debnam Carey — try to survive and stay together amid a wave of terror unlike any other as well as their own internal drama.Here, showrunner Dave Erickson (Sons of Anarchy) — who met Kirkman years ago while working on The Walking Dead creator’s little-known TV script Five Years — talks with The Hollywood Reporter about why Fearisn’t really a prequel, rumors of Jenner’s return and if any of the flagship’s stars — past or present — will crossover, and more.

AMC has said that Fear the Walking Dead isn’t wholly a prequel. So what is it?

We are loosely covering the period of time that [The Walking Dead’s] Rick (Andrew Lincoln) was in his coma in season one. We’re able to watch and experience the things that he missed. It’s more of a parallel story than a prequel; imagine the opening where Rick gets shot and goes in his coma — that day was probably very close to our day one. We’re playing out the idea of what was going on in the country and the world until he woke up, stepped outside and it’s welcome to the apocalypse. That’s why a “companion piece” has been the phrase used at the network. It’s not a prequel in the sense of Better Call Saul, where we’re jumping back six, seven years. It does tie very specifically into the pilot of the original. “Prequel” is not the right word; it’s kind of its own strange, hybrid thing. I wish I had a better word.

Kirkman has said the origin of the outbreak is something he’s never going to reveal in the comics or the flagship series. Is that true here, too?

I had a couple of early pitches that touched on what you’re referring to and Robert shut me down. For him, it’s never been about what caused it; it’s always been about the impact it has on people. Robert’s always said — and this is what we try to anchor Fear in is: Your parents got divorced or there are zombies. You didn’t get invited to the prom, or there are zombies. Because we’re starting a bit earlier and have more of a slow burn into the apocalypse of season one, it gives us the opportunity to really ground our family’s problems. We have this highly dysfunctional, blended family and all the issues that they face and they would have faced if the apocalypse hadn’t struck, those are the problems we’re exploring. The main narrative drive is the conflicts within this family dynamic and how those things are exacerbated by the arrival of the apocalypse.

We’re also trying to show what first is perceived as civic unrest and riots and suddenly we bleed into something that’s wholly unnatural. It’s about a family: Travis (Curtis) just moved in with his girlfriend Madison (Dickens) after they got married. She has two children, one of whom has some issues. Travis has a very pissed-off teenager and an ex-wife. You’re talking about two people who, as the story opens, all they want is to bring their family together under one roof and make everyone whole. The irony for us is that the only thing that helps accomplish that is that the world ends. What’s intriguing to me is to take these problems, which I think would make for a compelling drama, and put them in this much larger canvas and see how they play out. All of the issues that we establish, these are the things that in my head will come to fruition in seasons three, four, five and six. It forges an interesting introduction into this world. It’s much more about the “shark” you don’t see in season one. We obviously play some of the tropes — and there are definitely walkers — but it’s people trying to wrap their brain around what the hell is going on and not fully understanding the zombie apocalypse by act one. It’s going through that process of the colleague or the friend you had coffee with the day before is now trying to kill you. And your first thought’s going to be, “They’re sick, they’re on something.” It takes a bit of time for everyone to wrap their brains around what this truly means.

Read more Robert Kirkman Reveals His Biggest 'Walking Dead’ Regret

There’s a reference in an early Fear pilot script to Dr. Candace Jenner — aka Test Subject 19 from the flagship. Is there a possibility that Claire Bronson could return? Could Edwin Jenner (played by Noah Emmerich) — the man who told Rick that everyone is already infected — appear? Kirkman has said that the season one CDC episode is among his biggest regrets.

I won’t say that we would never go there, but as it was scripted originally, that was really a means to writing some connective tissue for the fans. Robert very poignantly said that he likes to avoid the CDC perspective, the FEMA perspective, at least moving forward. It’s something I agree with; we’ll never tell the story from the perspective of the bureaucrats, politicians and generals who are all trying to contain it. It will always be from the ground level looking up. There’s something far more overwhelming and beautiful about your next-door neighbor and people you know trying to understand the apocalypse. It’s really quite daunting.

Will there be an opportunity to see the characters from the flagship series, maybe those that have been killed off? For diehard fans, losing Andrea [from the series] was a major change.

That, I’d never thought of. Variations of this question have come up before, and there’s no current plan. I think logistically, it would be very difficult. There’s no plan for a crossover. I never considered seeing that in some way, shape or form; that show has been going on for five years since the original outbreak and we’re just in the infancy [of the outbreak]. There are no plans to do so but I do think that’s a world that could be explored at some point. There no plans for them to conflate, but I will say this: We are living under the same mythological umbrella. We are telling, ultimately, two parts of the larger story in this world that Robert has created. From a storytelling standpoint, I like the idea of conflating stories; I like the idea of things coming together. If that were ever to happen, it would not be for seasons to come, and there’s no current plan to do so. But I do think there’s something compelling and interesting about it, too.

What state is L.A. in when the season begins and how does that compare to its condition at the end of the first six episodes of season one?

The goal was to loosely track the period of those four or five weeks that Rick Grimes was in his coma. When he wakes up and goes outside, it’s done; the world has come to an end. We’re not going to time out exactly to that point. We have a story device that will still keep our characters — our core family — somewhat ignorant of what’s going on beyond. Right now, our L.A. skews more East Side. It’s blue collar, it’s closer to downtown. We’re not hitting the landmarks as much. I think there are more opportunities to do so later this season. The goal was to show a very textured, layered, vibrant version of this city. Every time you show a part of a city, it’s that [moment] for of the audience of knowing there’s millions of people here, all of whom are about to face something horrific and many of whom are soon going to die. I wouldn’t say that we end the season at the exact same point where Rick wakes up, but it’ll loosely be in that time frame. Things will have gone very bad by the end of season one.

One of the great things about the flagship is that it explores humanity and who we are at the end of the day. What would you say the central theme in Fear is?

For us, it’s actually one of the reasons why Los Angeles was so important to us. It’s very much about identity and reinvention. The thing about California, or L.A. specifically, is that it is a place where many people — aside from the native Angelenos — go to in order to rebuild, reinvent or bury what’s in their past. Many of our characters, as we will come to discover, have gone through some very unsavory things — histories that they try to bury. With the onset of the apocalypse, they’re going to have choices to make as to whether they can tap into the darker sides of themselves things that they tried to distance themselves from in order to survive. They also end up going back to the quotidian of it. In a blended family, you’re also dealing with people who have been in marriages and have lost loved ones; have been in marriages and gone through divorce; and they’re going through their own identity shifts when we first meet them within the family drama world of things. Then, as everything becomes more serious, you’re forced to shift, adjust and become the thing that you hated. There are some lovely intersections between some of the thematics on the original show, where at a certain point doing the right thing becomes the absolute wrong thing. We’re going to start with some relationships, specifically the Travis and Madison relationship — which is beautiful and everything seems to be harmonious and they’re truly in love — and we’re going to put them through the ringer over the course of season one.

See more 'The Walking Dead’s’ Most Shocking Deaths

The Walking Dead is unafraid to kill off key characters when it serves the story. What’s the approach to that like with Fear? Will you be burning through as many characters in terms of the core cast like the flagship does?

I don’t want to get too specific in terms of body count because I believe ultimately I would never set up and drop someone just for the purpose of setting up and dropping them. Anybody can be eaten at any time; it can happen to anyone. No one is safe, but I also have some specific arcs in my head that will probably protect certain people. I worked on Sons of Anarchy, and sometimes you have to kill your darlings. When you’re going to kill a major character, you need to have laid the track for it. There are certain deaths that I have in my head that wouldn’t be coming until much later in the show, but until we get up and running and we see how everything is developing, it’s hard to say.

As for the duration of the Fear, what’s your long-term goal? Do you see this as a show that’s running for five, six, seven seasons?

About five or six. The more we dig into it, the more we’ll find. The original show is at least another few seasons based on the material that Robert has written for the comic already, and that serves as a guiding light. I like endings, and — I haven’t discussed this with Robert but I think it’s more of a question for us to discuss when we sit down and really start breaking season two — on Sons, Kurt Sutter had a certain number in his head. He knew there was a certain number of seasons that felt right to him. I don’t have a specific set number of seasons in my head right now. I do think that the burden at a certain point, when you cross that 10-year mark … it can be pretty challenging. I’ve got some of mile markers, which don’t take me that long as of yet, but I can’t really say because it’s an AMC question.

If season one loosely takes the story to Rick Grimes waking up and seeing that the world has gone to hell, how is Fear different than the flagship series? Does it become the same as the original — just in a different city, a la NCIS vs. NCIS: Los Angeles?

No, that’s one of the great challenges for the show. Ideally, what I want to do is find a handle for each season that gives it its own theme and its own structure; it’s a novel every season.

Like with a big bad of the season — a la The Governor (David Morrissey)?

No. The goal for us — it’s not difference for difference’s sake because it works beautifully on The Walking Deadand Sons was very similar: we introduced a new villain each season and that became the main rail. What’s interesting to me is to try to internalize it as much as possible and create more of a Shane (Jon Bernthal)-Rick dynamic. That’s where I find the most interesting problem and I find things more compelling. The pattern that we don’t want to do is arriving at the new safe haven and then depending on the safe haven. It works beautifully in the comic book — and there’s always going to be the survival element — but we have some ideas that are going to give us, in terms of location and structure, an opportunity to do a movie a season. The idea is to make it as specific and to internalize the drama as much as possible. The thing is to avoid is having it feel like a copycat. The last thing it should feel like is The Walking Dead: L.A. or The Walking Dead: Vancouver, or The Walking Dead: Wherever the story might take us. We have ideas for villains but the idea is to fracture from within and build out from that rather than having an external antagonist per season who comes in and shakes things up.

Do you want to stay with a six-episode season or follow more of the original and grow to 13 and then 16?

I would imagine the network has a very specific plan. I think 13 is a great number; 15, 16, it’s really a question of having the time to sit down and make sure we’re not burning story to burn story; that we’re able to build something that’s layered and textured and compelling. I think it’s a safe bet that if things go well, they’ll probably want more rather than less, but I’m not sure what that number’s going to be.

Fear the Walking Dead debuts in the summer. A specific date has yet to be announced. Will you tune in?

Thanks for sharing the preview.
Umm... I hope that guy isn't a regular, judging a book by its cover, I'd rather him be a walker.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)