Fear the Walking Dead (Walking Dead spin-off)

Explaining what the infection is, why it happened, and how everyone became infected is completely unnecessary to the story. It's one of the things that killed me about Star Trek: The Next Generation. They ALWAYS had some sort of completely useless technobabble reason for everything. Most of the time the explanation was totally unnecessary.

Alfred Hitchcock has a term for it: "The McGuffin". It is what drives the plot and motivated the characters, but it is completely superfluous to the actual events. The best example of a "McGuffin" is the briefcase in "Ronin". We never get to know what was in the case. It is completely unimportant what's in the case. Even some of the characters don't know or care what's in the case. What's important is that all the characters in the movie want the case.

In the Walking Dead series----es, why and how the human population was infected is completely unimportant to the story of surviving. They aren't trying to find the cure. They are trying to live to see another day.

---
Oh... and this latest episode was MUUUUUCH better. The story moved along quite well.

Reactions: king3pj and Hall
Explaining what the infection is, why it happened, and how everyone became infected is completely unnecessary to the story. It's one of the things that killed me about Star Trek: The Next Generation. They ALWAYS had some sort of completely useless technobabble reason for everything. Most of the time the explanation was totally unnecessary.

Alfred Hitchcock has a term for it: "The McGuffin". It is what drives the plot and motivated the characters, but it is completely superfluous to the actual events. The best example of a "McGuffin" is the briefcase in "Ronin". We never get to know what was in the case. It is completely unimportant what's in the case. Even some of the characters don't know or care what's in the case. What's important is that all the characters in the movie want the case.

In the Walking Dead series----es, why and how the human population was infected is completely unimportant to the story of surviving. They aren't trying to find the cure. They are trying to live to see another day.

---
Oh... and this latest episode was MUUUUUCH better. The story moved along quite well.
I disagree.

The main reason why is, there is NO hope if everyone dies and becomes a zombie regardless and there is no reason why or no possible cure. I am really tired of just watching people in a "fight or flight" stage in every episode. Why do they feel it is necessary to go to the desert? I mean there is no food or water there and I assume no fuel stations to get back. This is simply fleeing the neighborhood for what might be better. I don't see why they don't stay where they are and make a stand and protect what they already have got. Give me a little hope for the future with a possible cure or a safe zone and it makes the story so much better for those of us that like to see the BIG PICTURE and not just the immediate living in the present at all times.

At least the LAST SHIP Series on TNT has figured out that a cure is necessary to give people hope to go on. It is more satisfying for me to know that they might actually win in the end with a lot of perseverance , blood ,sweat and tears. Other wise what is the point of traveling the countryside ,killing zombies, stopping for a while, then moving to another town , rinse ,repeat, rinse , repeat.......? This is why these shows get very boring and have long periods of time where all they do is sit and bemoan their situation. We know that the opening will be exciting with a lot of action, then following a series of episodes that are slow plodding and generally boring , then a mid season finale with action , new season opener with action ,then boring episodes , followed by a season finale with action. Gets really predictable . The only perk this show has is we get to see civilization break down like in WWZ did. Once it catches up to real time with Rick and the regular show The Walking Dead, we have the same show ,different cast. A franchise in danger of over exposure and killing the whole genre entirely.

This show has the potential to do something different and stand out entirely from it's older more established series. Make this show count and you might survive, otherwise it is death by over exposure.

I for one would like to find out the cause, and possible cure, even if it is never used.
In the CDC episode, it was mentioned that the French were close to solving it before they lost communication. It would be nice to expand on that some as an explanation, even if we are aware that it will not be used up until where we are in TWD.

That said, I do agree that the story can continue as is without it.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
FEAR THE WALKING DEAD http://www.comicbookresources.com/a...-gothams-monaghan-perfects-his-maniacal-laugh
During Sunday's "Fear the Walking Dead" episode, viewers noticed a potentially familiar looking person was seen amongst those fleeing Los Angeles. Could it be Chandler Riggs' "Walking Dead" character Carl?Of course, it's most likely not Riggs at all, but even if it was the actor making an Easter egg-style cameo, fans shouldn't read too much into it. Not only was Carl on the other side of the country when the outbreak began, he was only 11 years old at the time.

Well that is too bad. The show would take on a much realer turn if they gave a plausible explanation why suddenly everyone that dies, no matter how they die , come back as zombies. Z Nation also doesn't deal with why ,but they are actually working on a vaccine to ward off the zombism. At least they are trying to eventually solve the problem of the zombie virus.

Explain how two teachers, two high school students, a drug addict, and a barber are going to figure out what happened and create a cure. Also they are in a subdivision. Even if they had people who specialize in that sort of thing they don't have the resources to make that possible. How would this group of people coming up with the solution be a realer situation?

They also have no way of knowing what is happening at every facility around the world since communications are over. I think what they are showing is much more realistic than what you are suggesting.

The thing you aren't getting about either run of Walking Dead is that it's a story about regular people trying to survive. They aren't capable of doing the things you want them to.

At least the LAST SHIP Series on TNT has figured out that a cure is necessary to give people hope to go on. It is more satisfying for me to know that they might actually win in the end with a lot of perseverance , blood ,sweat and tears. Other wise what is the point of traveling the countryside ,killing zombies, stopping for a while, then moving to another town , rinse ,repeat, rinse , repeat.......? This is why these shows get very boring and have long periods of time where all they do is sit and bemoan their situation. We know that the opening will be exciting with a lot of action, then following a series of episodes that are slow plodding and generally boring , then a mid season finale with action , new season opener with action ,then boring episodes , followed by a season finale with action. Gets really predictable . The only perk this show has is we get to see civilization break down like in WWZ did. Once it catches up to real time with Rick and the regular show The Walking Dead, we have the same show ,different cast. A franchise in danger of over exposure and killing the whole genre entirely.

This show has the potential to do something different and stand out entirely from it's older more established series. Make this show count and you might survive, otherwise it is death by over exposure.

So just because there is no cure and you will turn into a zombie when you die in TWD's world even
if that might not happen for years or even decades there is no point to living? That's like saying "Since we will all die eventually anyways we might as well just kill ourselves now." in our world.

There have to be slow moments. It can't be a 42 minute zombie killing spree every week. That would be an absolutely terrible show. I've been reading in these threads about how boring Walking Dead is for years and how the show is dying but they keep setting new viewing records. It's obviously going to end at some point but they are already on season 6 and still have a bigger audience than any other show on cable. That's a great run for a TV series even if it ended there but it's not going to because the numbers are still huge.

I've been reading in these threads about how boring Walking Dead is for years and how the show is dying but they keep setting new viewing records. It's obviously going to end at some point but they are already on season 6 and still have a bigger audience than any other show on cable. That's a great run for a TV series even if it ended there but it's not going to because the numbers are still huge.
Quite telling that TWD gets the viewer numbers it gets without people knowing what caused the virus, huh ?

Explain how two teachers, two high school students, a drug addict, and a barber are going to figure out what happened and create a cure. Also they are in a subdivision. Even if they had people who specialize in that sort of thing they don't have the resources to make that possible. How would this group of people coming up with the solution be a realer situation?

They also have no way of knowing what is happening at every facility around the world since communications are over. I think what they are showing is much more realistic than what you are suggesting.

The thing you aren't getting about either run of Walking Dead is that it's a story about regular people trying to survive. They aren't capable of doing the things you want them to.

I may be wrong, but that is not really what he was saying. He was curious as to the whys of the virus and would like some sort of explanation.
I did not take it to mean that the explanation or plan for a cure had to come from the main cast. They could easily slip it in through a new cast, or army informant, or like the CDC episode on TWD.

I may be wrong, but that is not really what he was saying. He was curious as to the whys of the virus and would like some sort of explanation.
I did not take it to mean that the explanation or plan for a cure had to come from the main cast. They could easily slip it in through a new cast, or army informant, or like the CDC episode on TWD.

But my point is that there is no way for the group to know about it unless they randomly come across someone capable of making that kind of explanation. Since we are following a group in Atlanta and a group in LA it doesn't make much sense that we would hear about what the French version of the CDC is working on.

If they really wanted to offer an explanation the CDC episode was the time to do it. I can't think of too many other realistic cases were it would come up.

It would seem to be pretty easy to run across a doctor who had been examining the virus. Or a radio broadcast. Surely the army has someone working on it, and they are obviously around at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would seem to be pretty easy to run across a doctor who had been examining the virus. Or a radio broadcast. Surely the army has someone working on it, and they are obviously around at this point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But we already know that our own CDC didn't know why it happened. It's unlikely that the army or some random doctor figured it out if the best disease facility in the world couldn't. Also if the army had that knowledge it seems like it would have been shared with the CDC so they could get to work on trying to fix it.

But we already know that our own CDC didn't know why it happened. It's unlikely that the army or some random doctor figured it out if the best disease facility in the world couldn't. Also if the army had that knowledge it seems like it would have been shared with the CDC so they could get to work on trying to fix it.
Perhaps communications went down between them and the CDC before they could relay it, although the CDC did have communication in some form across the globe up to that episode. They never gave an explanation as to why the French did not relay their findings either, so it is plausible that another group got close and also would not have been able to.

Also, lets remember that the CDC was crippled. Most "opted out" and at that point only Jenner was left. So it is likely that another group would have been ahead of him (CDC).

I just think it would be a fairly easy part to write, even if it is not specific, a generalized explanation. I would like to find out, but the show is fine if we never do.

I just think it would be a fairly easy part to write, even if it is not specific, a generalized explanation.
Robert Kirkman has stated more than once he's not going there. Besides, it would just be one more thing that people will pick apart on a technical, medical or scientific basis (ignoring, of course, that it's fiction !!!).

Experience from living in another country where things fell apart quickly.
I was more referring to him shooting the neighbor zombie in the head (twice, while he could have shot him in the chest) and more specifically, when Travis was dragging the body out he (Daniel) told him to burn the body "so the disease doesn't spread".

Overall, I find this series to be a horrible waste of time; not informative, not interesting, not entertaining and not much of anything. It's as though I am watching a show written by Jerry and George, with Kramer producing and Elaine directing. El Stinko!

I was more referring to him shooting the neighbor zombie in the head (twice, while he could have shot him in the chest) and more specifically, when Travis was dragging the body out he (Daniel) told him to burn the body "so the disease doesn't spread".
Okay, I figured you were talking about how things fell apart, and military taking over.

I can understand him knowing to burn a body. As for the head shot, probably figured it was a quick way to take someone down who was hyped up on something, and wasn't going down normally.

Okay, I figured you were talking about how things fell apart, and military taking over.

I can understand him knowing to burn a body. As for the head shot, probably figured it was a quick way to take someone down who was hyped up on something, and wasn't going down normally.

He also watched the police shooting at the zombie that was walking out of the hospital they were trying to take his wife to when he was sitting in the back on the truck. They clearly showed him watching as the police shot this dead patient several times and it still kept coming but as soon as they hit it in the head it went down. I figured that's how he knew.

He's probably the only character on the show with any redeeming characteristics. The rest could be all eaten for all I care. Whole bunch of unlikable people making me not care if the show gets canceled or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts