Ferrite Cores HDMI Cables?

smokey982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Cleveland, TN (Chattanooga Market)
Has anyone used the ferrite core HDMI cables? I'm wanting to order some standard 24awg HDMI cables from monoprice and they are out of stock. But they do have some 28awg ferrite core HDMI cables in stock that are cheaper. Does anyone know in noob terminology what the difference would be? Monoprice tells what they are on the website but it was really over my head. I just don't want to lose quality because if the smaller gauge cable.

How long is the run? As long as it is under 25' I'm positive there will be no difference.

The 28awg are what 99% of us around here use for normal device to device use. The gauge depends on the length, as indicated on their site. They are not out of stock of the 26, that's just the only length they sell it in. It does appear they only have the 10' 28 in stock.

The gauge of a cable is the thickness of the copper cable itself. The higher the gauge the smaller the thickness of cable you have. 28awg is a pretty thin cable.

The gauge of a cable is the thickness of the copper cable itself. The higher the gauge the smaller the thickness of cable you have. 28awg is a pretty thin cable.
Not too thin to do the job. Monoprice cables have received the best test scores.

Ok. That's cool. I haven't used any that thin so I didn't know for sure.

Yes, but if your right on the edge of either having it or not, it can be quite aggravating. Had a dish customer a few weeks ago with HDMI cables pre-pulled about 75 - 80 feet from a closet to his HDTV in the living room. At both ends there were HDMI wall plates. If the receiver was set to 1080i, every few seconds the screen would flash and the speakers would make a very loud popping noise. I told him he needed to call his construct cabling guy and have him either add an amp, use better cables, or eliminate the wall plates and run a straight cable from one end to the other.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts