Finally, an Android tablet worth seriously considering

Looking forward to your report then. I'll be in the market for a second ipad ( or current Android device) next year. I will wait for the second version of ipad, though. Hope it offers lots new stuff to dazzle me into buying. If not, I may just go for the Android. Not sure I'll like the smaller size though.

I am sure you'll have the option of a 10" Android tablet.

Why do you want to replace your ipad, btw? Or does "second ipad" mean you'll be giving your wife the first one, and getting a new one for yourself? :D ;) (Not that I'd ever do that! :) )

Looking forward to your report then. I'll be in the market for a second ipad ( or current Android device) next year. I will wait for the second version of ipad, though. Hope it offers lots new stuff to dazzle me into buying. If not, I may just go for the Android. Not sure I'll like the smaller size though.

I would like to try and Android tablet but since my wife has the iPad, I am not sure if I will every buy one. I don't like the idea to have to pay for apps on two different platforms. It is so much easier to just buy the app once and use them on as many devices that I want.

Lifestyles change, Mike. I don't really plan on replacing the ipad I have but adding another. Actually, I could use 3 in the house to max out convenience. The ipad now has very little in missing features for me that are annoying. 2 of the 3 missing features should be addressed with the next OS release. Printing from apps like web pages and multitasking ( some multitasking can be done now, some printing can be done now ) Third feature is network file access, ( There may be a good app for that but I haven't found one satisfactory yet ) These, I would like to see on the Android device too. For example, say I am out by the pool and get a phone call. A client wants me to look up an invoice for them from 3 months ago. I can't go to "network places" and go to a folder for that clients billing and display the invoice on my ipad. MY work-around is I log on to "LogMeIN app and put the windows XP screen of that Network Place on the ipad and go from there. In other words, ipad can do the task but it is awkward. Plus, I would need to exit out of what I am doing too. I don't even know if Android is a solution but I do know any laptop can deal with all these things. Could be, my poolside ipad may get replaced with a Mac Air or equal. As Steve Jobs claimed, it is a cross between the ipad and a MacBook.

Lifestyles change, Mike. I don't really plan on replacing the ipad I have but adding another. Actually, I could use 3 in the house to max out convenience. The ipad now has very little in missing features for me that are annoying. 2 of the 3 missing features should be addressed with the next OS release. Printing from apps like web pages and multitasking ( some multitasking can be done now, some printing can be done now ) Third feature is network file access, ( There may be a good app for that but I haven't found one satisfactory yet ) These, I would like to see on the Android device too. For example, say I am out by the pool and get a phone call. A client wants me to look up an invoice for them from 3 months ago. I can't go to "network places" and go to a folder for that clients billing and display the invoice on my ipad. MY work-around is I log on to "LogMeIN app and put the windows XP screen of that Network Place on the ipad and go from there. In other words, ipad can do the task but it is awkward. Plus, I would need to exit out of what I am doing too. I don't even know if Android is a solution but I do know any laptop can deal with all these things. Could be, my poolside ipad may get replaced with a Mac Air or equal. As Steve Jobs claimed, it is a cross between the ipad and a MacBook.

I am not certain an Android tablet would be able to do that well either, particularly with the printing. although if you were a Dropbox user - you could use the Dropbox app to access pretty much any file you store with in it. I keep ALL of my files on dropbox (I pay $130 per year for the 50GB package with unlimited version control) and can access any file on my Droid. Its very nice. But I can't print.

What I am getting is that you want it to really be the replacement for a laptop, but the technology has not caught up yet for that.

Too bad you could not email a document in gmail to a printer. Now that would be cool. :)

And the "flood" of course, is both the high point and low point. High point in terms of choices, low point in terms of fragmentation of the market. If you want iOS, you go to the ipad, if you want Android you go to A, B, C, D, E, or F.... :)

It isn't going to be "worse" any time soon than say the current netbook market...
The OS issues should be sorted out by Q1 2011 and the rest would be up to you.
Just allow it multiboot and i don't need any OS preinstalled (XDA will provide).

I don't mind being the "integrator" instead of letting an egotistical ass make all the decisions for me...

Diogen.

It isn't going to be "worse" any time soon than say the current netbook market...
The OS issues should be sorted out by Q1 2011 and the rest would be up to you.
Just allow it multiboot and i don't need any OS preinstalled (XDA will provide).

I don't mind being the "integrator" instead of letting an egotistical ass make all the decisions for me...

Diogen.

:D

My point was more about how there is one ipad but a bunch of different Android tablets; and running different OS variants, making it harder for any one tablet to gain a large chunk of the market share. Not really a big deal, and I too am happy with the competition. Looking forward to getting my grubby hands on a Galaxy tab to play with... just in time to make my christmas list. :)

rockymtnhigh said:
I am not certain an Android tablet would be able to do that well either, particularly with the printing. although if you were a Dropbox user - you could use the Dropbox app to access pretty much any file you store with in it. I keep ALL of my files on dropbox (I pay $130 per year for the 50GB package with unlimited version control) and can access any file on my Droid. Its very nice. But I can't print.

What I am getting is that you want it to really be the replacement for a laptop, but the technology has not caught up yet for that.

Too bad you could not email a document in gmail to a printer. Now that would be cool. :)

Not sure what drop box is but getting ready for my road trip, I wanted to load a couple PDF files on my iPad for access and I finally resorted to uploading them to my web server and then downloading them to my iPad with a PDF file downloader app. I could not get this iPad to see my pc files at all to transfer them through the LAN. Kept getting some sort of "unsupported operation error popup" The downloader has a print function built in and I was able to see all my LAN printers on the ipad. Plus I can use it to display the PDF files.

I'm riding in north Carolina this morning using the mobile wifirouter and it works great but the speed is not very high. About 500 Kbps. The 10"screen is sure easier than doing this with the old PDA. I still carry the laptop but it's more for times I need to do any document creation or video editing, DVD playback etc.

There is also a way to email the files to the iPad and capture the email with the PDF file printer app but I haven't tried it yet.

Don -- Dropbox.com is a cloud-based file management system. You put the Dropbox client on a machine and it creates a folder in your My Documents (or indeed, your entire my documents). Every file in that folder - and in subfolders - gets synced to the Dropbox server. Put drop-box on another machine, and your two machines sync. Everytime you change a file, it propogates to other machines with the same dropbox account.

You can view your dropbox online at dropbox.com and can access files that way from machines that don't have dropbox installed. You also get 30 days of version control with the 2 free GB of storage.

ipod, ipad, iphone, and Android all have dropbox clients. Here it works differently. You go into your ipad or Droid phone or whatever, and see the list of folders, click on the file you want, and it downloads it to your device.

I have Dropbox on every machine I own (2 laptops, 1 netbook, 2 desktops, 1 Droid). I have the 50GB package with unlimited version control ($139 per year total). I no longer need to bring USB drives with me to work. All my files are on all of my machines. If I download a CD of music on one machine, I copy the files to a music folder in Dropbox, and can access it from other machines.

I was at a conference and took notes for a book proposal I was writing on my laptop, but did not have a printer. So I accessed the file on my Droid and opened it in Documents to Go, and was able to refer to it during my meeting with the publisher. If I needed to, I could easily have emailed it as an attachment from the Droid.

Everytime you refer someone to Dropbox, you and the person referred get an additional 1/4 GB. So if you want to try it, drop me a PM and I'll send an email referral to you.

Dropbox has changed the way I compute.

Just saw a video on An.droid-life.com showing the browser in the Galaxy Tab in action. 7" screen looks MORE than adequate, and it seemed extremely responsive.

I just had my grubby little fingers all over a Galaxy Tab at the Verizon store. OMG, I am in love. Its light, its fast. The screen size is perfect. Its everything I thought it would be. Maybe a little thicker than I expected, but totally fine. I installed the NYTimes Android app on it to see how a non-tab specific app works, and its like the ipad - the app goes in the middle, but it takes up probably 3/4 of the screen. Not bad. Loaded up a golf game, very nice. Did not try any video.

I think my christmas list just got written. Birthday too...

btw, i will not being doing a review of the galaxy as i have postponed my decision to buy one. i didn't want to add another contract as i am really trying to cust costs in 2011. in fact, i'm seriously thinking of ditching satellite and going back to cable. no cola increase for the second year will make you do that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)