finally got my 6 ft dish setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.
This thread is getting so long, I forget what's been said in the first few pages!

I looked at a C Band FTA list and found this: (I'm hoping it is up to date)
72W= 3997, V, 1153 Caribbean TV ... Portuguese (3936, V, 1214 is all MPEG4, DVB-S2, 8PSK H-264 video)
83W=3805, V, 1345 Pennsylvania Cable Netwrk

the 37 looks ok for the elevation angle but why 47 for the other? It should be 37+the declination offset which for you is about 5.22.Also remember that these settings should be set when your dish is aimed true south! the zeneth highest point in the arc.the only strong c channel on AMC6 72w is caribbean network (rbti) 3994 v 2219! just checked it today its still there.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyones help. Here is whats happening.its set as described.the 47 was what I was getting at the top of the back ring. My signal goes from 2 to 42 and like 6 to 8 quality.the quality doesn't move much but the 2 to 42 is a fast moving like a pulse.think my cabling is bad.it was a piece I had from my old directv install from a few years back.I'm puting a pic of where I got my declination setting is it right f so I have my angles right

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110308_192700.png
    ForumRunner_20110308_192700.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 198
Doug is my last picture right.I have two receivers the openbox and the nfusion nova. Settings are standard 5150 frequency. It is a dmx741u and its cband so I thought I could keep it on standard

Ok I read some things I've had my lnb at the 6 o'clock position and I learned it has a built in disque switch so I guess I need to set that as well. Think that will change anything for me

Had to spend some time looking back over the posts here.
Now another wrench in the mix, nonsteady signal reading. ???
Make sure you have active TP's programmed.
24/7 TP's on 72w I have: 3995 V 2220 (DVB-S ?) and 3937 V 2825 (Pretty sure this one's S2).
(PA cable net moved off this sat a while ago, The LIST needs an update here, it's now on 83w)
Standard C band, 5150 L.O. is perfect for settings.
DMX741U, I think diseqc should be port 1 for C band, The Ku settings are not needed until later.

recap:
your Latitude: 36.5°N, Longitude: 76.3°W
Declination Footprints by Dish Size - Latitude Declination Chart - C/Ku-Band Satellite Listing
~5.8 (the more accurately you can measure and adjust this makes all the rest a bit easier, as inaccuracies will show up as not tracking the opposite side of the arc as accurately, but don't worry, there's an easy way to fix it)

polar angle = (latitude 36.5) or 90 -36.5 = (53.5 polar elevation)

your post #59
Why does dishpointer give me a elevation of 47.---
(53.5 polar elevation) - (dec. 5.8) = (47.7 dish elevation)

36.5 + 5.8 = 42.3 = the dish extreme angle (90 - 42.3 = 47.7=arc elevation at zenith)
or (polar elevation 53.5) - 5.8 = (47.7 dish elevation, at the highest point in the arc)
The only difference in the above numbers is the reference, so they are 90+_ and measured with the other face of the angle finder.

Pic 1 in post #60 looks to be measuring polar latitude ~37 OK
Pic 4 appears to be measuring Dish elevation ~47 OK (add these two numbers with dec, =~90, thats good)

Pic in post #64 is measuring "extreme" angle, subtract reading from 90 for the elevation, or measure as previously in post 60.

I would think you should be close enough to give it a go.

Your most south sat is 72W, a bit east of your location, so move the dish a bit east of the center, (it's highest) with the actuator. Dishpointer.com has a azimuth of 172.8(true) so move it about 7 degrees. dishpointer.com has 72w at an Elevation: 47.4° Which confirms the calculations. moving the dish off of center will lower the dish elevation. SLOWELY, and in SMALL incrementws, twist the mount on the pole, and wait for the receiver to lock signal. Lower SR's require more time. 10 seconds is not unheard of. Once you get lock, peak Q with the polar elevation adjustment. Then move the dish, WITH THE ACTUATOR ONLY, to sats further and further from center. Adjust the Azimuth, (twist of the mount on the pole) ONLY, to peak your Q readings. When you get all the way to the end, lock it down and check the elevation at center again. If only a very small correction is necessary, you should be good, check the other side of the arc. You should track C band perfectly, before attempting Ku.

THink of it this way, at the equator, the polar latitude angle would be zero, horizontal. The polar elevation would be 90, straight up. (and the declination would be zero because the sats are directly overhead)
At the north or south pole, the polar angle would be 90, straight up, the polar elevation would be zero, to the horizon. (the declination would aim the dish towards the plane of the equator, out in space, (down) the maximum amount possible)
All points in between these extreemes are, well, between these angles.

THis may seem like a lot to comprehend, but necessary to understand the geometry of properly setting a polar mount to track the arc. But when you've done it, the sense of accomplishmint will be an overwhelming joy. And, the next step, FINE tuning it for Ku, will go smoother,
(Oh, how I hope I haven't confused, myself or you, more)

Thanks fat air at least I know where I stand. Knowing my angles are close enough is good know. My gbox will be here tomorrow. Anyone wanna help me wire the actuator up. Thank you guys so so much I'm learning a lot and I hope I'm not making this thread to long. Now I know I'm not gonna hit 72 without tilting the dish east. Good to know all this. Can't wait to get it working

Oh by the way the non steady reading is only like that on the nova. Probably cause its crap the openbox just kept steady 43 signal 6 quality cause I'm not near it cause I'm not tilted. Can't wait to work on it again Tom.

Thanks Fat Air :) Once again you have saved the day! Sorry Mcgod if i have not explained myself well enough in helping you out.After almost a year of getting into FTA i still have my moments of confusion :( and still learning.It looks like its just a matter of time before you get your setup running well and start logging all those sats in the sky.

Thank you too Stanley. I thank everyone .I'm not there yet but hopefully by the weekend I can have everything going. If it wasn't freezing outside tonight id throw the lights on and head outside now

yeah, it's like, you're so close, I can almost smell it. and yeah, I wish it'd warm up so I can get back to gettin' the second 1.2m on a polar mount. Winter 'n snow just came on too quick last fall. The mover (Gbox) is pretty straight forward, Just hook up the sensor wires, then check to make sure the east button moves it east, and vice versa. If not, swap the motor wires. The first BUD I aligned, took around 8 hours, and that was calling someone on the phone about every half hour. The second, around 3 hrs, all by myself!, from then on, around an hour. It's like ridin' a bike. BTW; long thread: not even close. LoL!

What channel is this it says I'm on 72w ku transponder 11803 h 6111 v 308 audio 259 p 8190 sid 1. Its was a transponder already on the openbox.crazy is I'm getting nothing cband which leads me to think its nit 72w.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110309_073541.png
    ForumRunner_20110309_073541.png
    287.1 KB · Views: 191
Mac, I'm not sure as you might not be on 72W. Did you blindscan it? Hopefully a channel or two might pop up and it will make it easier to identify. My worst nightmare was my first attempt at a fixed KU dish. Took me over a week and I finally got my cousin who installed cband back in the day, to help me. Within minutes he had 97west for me. I've hacked my way thru enough stuff over the last couple of years so that I've got it down pretty good. My main setup I wont adjust, touch, or sneeze on it lol...i works and I'm leaving it as is. I will say I can line up a cband dish in about 5-10 minutes now just by knowing where it should be pointing and dumb luck too. Ku is still a hassle at times. Hang in there your doing good so far. Blind

What channel is this it says I'm on 72w ku transponder 11803 h 6111 v 308 audio 259 p 8190 sid 1. Its was a transponder already on the openbox.crazy is I'm getting nothing cband which leads me to think its nit 72w.

If that pic that you posted is what was received, your on 72west but on the Ku side. Your Dish settings (LNB)(Switch) must be set on KU ?

As you can see on the Link below, there's not much to get at 72w on CBand.

Nahuel 1 & AMC 6 at 72.0°W - LyngSat

I haven't been able to find the TP you reported. Double check the paperwork that came with the LNBF for proper settings and connections. FWIW, picture: 741U CKU C and Ku Band Linear Circular Universal Ku HDTV LNB LNBF for BUD and C Band And that Ku is UNIVERSAL so i'm thinking your LO setting is not the actual LO so the reported TP actually isn't 11803 h 6111, but 150 Mhz higher/lower (10750[normal] -10600[universal])11953 Or 10750 -9750 for TP at 12803, Heck, it could be a C band TP also. (& the polarity might be actually vertical) (I do have an active Ku tp with 11781 H 6110 on H2 - 74w) 72W just lit up on 3980 H 26680 Strong!! Just another thought- disconnect the Ku portion of the LNB (Remove jumper) Then there is no confusion as to what band/freq - the lnb is standard C, 5150 L.O.??

Last edited:
Ok guys I've been outside sorry.I continued this morning and played with my focus on the lnb and moved the elevation up just a tad and I got these two channels.the cannot gulfstream was 1080i had about 30 quality but played for a bit.the other was 480i. Both were feeds the cannot one had a nasa guy.anyway I continued to bump the actuator and I lost signal but I figured id wait till my gbox came later and let it move it for me.I have not touched the azmith on the dish cause I was scared id lose 72 if it was what I had. Here is the pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110309_141539.png
    ForumRunner_20110309_141539.png
    285.5 KB · Views: 159
  • ForumRunner_20110309_141605.png
    ForumRunner_20110309_141605.png
    274.5 KB · Views: 148
And some more pics

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110309_141649.png
    ForumRunner_20110309_141649.png
    308.3 KB · Views: 159
  • ForumRunner_20110309_141719.png
    ForumRunner_20110309_141719.png
    309.6 KB · Views: 161
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)