Finally repairing my tv Antenna.

solarvic

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 17, 2019
Hadley, pa.
My antenna cm rotor was broke for 3 years and I couldn,t get pittsburgh pa stations. Decided to buy a yaesu G-450A rotator for my big CM antenna. The china cm rotors don,t last longer than a couple years for me. I have a rohn tower with a hinge so I can lay it down to work on antenna ect. I had rg 6 with copper coated Iron core. I am replaceing the iron core coax with quad shield sollid copper hoping I can receive channel 13 which is rf channel 4 now. 1 piece fell off my antenna .The plastic snap hinge broke. it is a stem that round, about 9 inches long with a U shaped piece on the end. Any one have an idea how to reattach it? Changing to this bigger rotor and larger dia. pipe turned out to be a little more complicated than planned. There was a bushing installed on top of tower that was too small for the pipe to fit inside the tower. Had to cut off 1/2 inch pipe with pipe cutter to get rid of bushing so pipe would fit. Rotor wouldn,t fit inside the tower except where i tower section connects to next section, Found out that if you go to smaller dia. pipe you have to buy 2 shims so tower will be centered in rotor. Ordered the part yesterday and they said it would go out by mail same day. My buddy made me an atachment that slips over the tower end that I can mount a flat plate bearing. Took a plastic sewer pipe end cap and cut a hole in the center that slips over antenna pipe to keep water out of the bearing. I would attach a picture but do not have cell phone. If I can get someone to take a picture and send it to my computer before I put it up I will try to send a picture if I can figure how to do it.

My antenna cm rotor was broke for 3 years and I couldn,t get pittsburgh pa stations. Decided to buy a yaesu G-450A rotator for my big CM antenna. The china cm rotors don,t last longer than a couple years for me. I have a rohn tower with a hinge so I can lay it down to work on antenna ect. I had rg 6 with copper coated Iron core. I am replaceing the iron core coax with quad shield sollid copper hoping I can receive channel 13 which is rf channel 4 now. 1 piece fell off my antenna .The plastic snap hinge broke. it is a stem that round, about 9 inches long with a U shaped piece on the end. Any one have an idea how to reattach it? Changing to this bigger rotor and larger dia. pipe turned out to be a little more complicated than planned. There was a bushing installed on top of tower that was too small for the pipe to fit inside the tower. Had to cut off 1/2 inch pipe with pipe cutter to get rid of bushing so pipe would fit. Rotor wouldn,t fit inside the tower except where i tower section connects to next section, Found out that if you go to smaller dia. pipe you have to buy 2 shims so tower will be centered in rotor. Ordered the part yesterday and they said it would go out by mail same day. My buddy made me an atachment that slips over the tower end that I can mount a flat plate bearing. Took a plastic sewer pipe end cap and cut a hole in the center that slips over antenna pipe to keep water out of the bearing. I would attach a picture but do not have cell phone. If I can get someone to take a picture and send it to my computer before I put it up I will try to send a picture if I can figure how to do it.
Sounds like me. Everything takes more work. The cap over the bearing sounds good. Is there a way to grease the bearing?? Maybe install a grease zerk? If it is full of grease it may keep the water out. If you drill a hole for one, do your best to keep the metal shavings out. I know you will not keep taking it down to grease it, but when it does come down.

I just smeared a lot of wheel bearing grease on the top of the bearing. I had a tight fit hole that I drilled in the center of the sewer cap and slid down the pipe to cover over the bearing. I moved the antenna in the cold weather and it never showed any drag. I expect that yausa rotor to last me as long as I want to use it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts