FIOS in Hampton Roads, VA

While driving around today for work, I noticed a large fleet of Verizion trucks all over my zip code and farther at least two every block. I have a feeling that they are going to light up the area all at once. There are a lot of businesses here, which would greatly appreciate the service too. I didn't have time to stop and ask a few questions, but will try during my late lunch today.

Now Cox is flooding my mailbox with discount deals which still don't cover the savings with Verizon.

Next the boom trucks have to return and put the junction boxes in the air.

This weekend I'm adding fans to my entertainment center to exhaust any heat in anticipation of adding more components. They have thermostats so they only run when needed. I have some more mods to do as I prepare for installation.

YEEESSSS!!! FIOS is now available to order. However I have been working such long hours, I haven't even started to wire the house. All of my stuff is here stacked up waiting for me to start. I guess I will start this weekend. I may play with the options on the order screens so I will know what I want vs what is available when I place my actual order.

BTW Vurbano, how is your install going so far?

My FIOS is fine. Its a great product. My only regret is the extra charges on their phone service but I didnt see a package without it. IF you dropped it you probably do not get a bundle discount.

I'm seeing what you have been saying. I went through the ordering process to see what costs I should expect. If it wasn't for the phone addon charges, the price would be good. I will think about them and see what I can do without. I would think that common features like caller ID would be included, but they line item a lot under phone service. Don't think I need the phone protection plan pass the ONT, since I am doing my own wiring I am confident that that will not be a problem.

Does anyone know what the max distance from ground the ONT can be installed? I want to put it in my garage. I want enough Fiber to route through the wall where my power comes in to an adjacent wall for ease of access later. I need confirmation on this before I put up my backerboard for my home distribution rack. I was reading online that this can me done if within specs, but can't find the specs. Also the location has a 3-prong ground outlet without GFC as I have read was required too for the battery backup.

Does anyone know what the max distance from ground the ONT can be installed? I want to put it in my garage. I want enough Fiber to route through the wall where my power comes in to an adjacent wall for ease of access later. I need confirmation on this before I put up my backerboard for my home distribution rack. I was reading online that this can me done if within specs, but can't find the specs. Also the location has a 3-prong ground outlet without GFC as I have read was required too for the battery backup.

20feet. The ONT has to be grounded.

Kool. I was looking at 10-15 feet from my ground rod that the electric is grounded to now. I have a friend giving me some PVC conduit to run the fiber into the house.

I was remeasuring and taking another look at things today. Verizon runs their copper to a mount at my attic vent and then around the house. Is is possible to have it enter my house via the attic and then across and down to the garage? I would just need enough of a service loop to reach. I will anchor it inside the house myself and run it to the garage where the panel will be mounted. I am about the cut the support board today and start verifying my run lengths to make my cable bundle pulls.

Well, my neighbor across the street beat me to FIOS. He had such a big grin on his face as the VZ Tech drove off. I'm happy for him. I'm even happier, now that DW said we can go for the All Access Bundle from Steve and get an LED TV for the bedroom. She is now eyeing my 61" DLP saying we need to upgrade it to for FIOS. I love her so much.

So what should I replace it with? Has to be in the 60" range. Also any known issues with FIOS and its equipment with the Samsung UN46B8000 46" 1080p LED HDTV?

This past weekend was the first chance I had to start pulling cable. What a comedy that was! I got my first bundle laid out and wrapped. I took off the wall plates in my family room and boys' room. I proceeded to the attic to drill into the wall from above to fish the cables up. After 2 minutes my battery on the drill died. Tried the second one and it was dead. My kids had unplugged my charger. That was the sound of two veins popping in my head. After I let the batteries charge for a few hours, I then had DW feeding me the cables as I fished from the attic. What a mistake that was as the final vein in my head popped! She had trouble keeping the cables straight and didn't remember to leave enough slack for me to terminate. After much frustration I got the cable pulled for that room and then came down to terminate the ends and close the wall up. That was when unexpected guests showed up. Well they just had to sit and watch me terminate cables. After that I called it quits and sat and watched the rest of the VT and Nebraska game. As my Hokies came back to win at the final minutes, I felt the veins in my head heal themselves.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to share. I will put up pics when I'm done pulling and dressing the location. I just noticed that my strippers are for RG6 and not RG6QS, so back to the store this week.

FIOS became available at my house today. I have an installation appointment scheduled for 10-5-2009. My brother finished running all of the cables for me on Sunday(he is a supervisor for DishNetwork). I ordered 1 home media dvr and 2 regular dvr's. I set it up this way so each tv has a separate dvr like I have now with Directv. I ordered the FIOS bundle for $129, WWE on demand, NFL Redzone channel and FIOS internet service on 2 computers. For anyone that has FIOS, I have a few questions. Is the picture on the FIOS HD channels the same quality that the HD channels on VOOM had before their satellite service went out of business and was purchased by DishNetwork? How long does the installation of the FIOS tv and internet service take? Thanks in advance for the answers and help that I receive.

For anyone that has FIOS, I have a few questions. Is the picture on the FIOS HD channels the same quality that the HD channels on VOOM had before their satellite service went out of business and was purchased by DishNetwork?
As much as I loved VOOM, the PQ on FiOS is better and cannot be beat. High quality HD provides such as HDNet look incredible!!! However, the garbage HD providers (e.g., Bravo, A&E, etc.) often look like crap - garbage in, garbage out.

How long does the installation of the FIOS tv and internet service take? Thanks in advance for the answers and help that I receive.[/QUOTE]It all depends on your setup...in my case, the interior cabling was professionally done when the house was built and everything was "ready" for FiOS. My install took less than 90-minutes to install the ONT, router, and slap a few cable cards in the Tivo and Sony HD DVR. I will assume your installl will go smoothly since your interior cabling needs have already been addressed. In our house the ONT and battery was installed in the 3rd car garage, and all the homes in the neighborhood was prepared in this way for FiOS.

F How long does the installation of the FIOS tv and internet service take? Thanks in advance for the answers and help that I receive.

It depends on the tech. My first installers were ok. I already had everything done for them by the time they arrived. All they had to do was install the ONT. It took them about an hr.
Now when I got the tv that guy was an idiot. It took him 3 hrs and he didn't have to do a damn thing but connect some receivers. I already had ran the cables, jumpers from the wall and HDMI cables. I put a Dmark box on the outside of my house just for the Fios splitter and he phucked that up. God he was a dummy.

Ok here's my question, since August I have been checking out fios and each time it has said on the website that all fios services were available for our address in V.B. Well tonight I went to check something out and to see if there was a new promo and now my address does not show any fios available, anyone have any idea's as to whats going on? Zip code if it matters is 23452.

I suggest you call and find out. I had the same flipflop with the website for some reason, but It was definitely on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)