FIRST LOOK: 622 Review!

No native pass-through is a real negative to this design. On the surface it would seem that it would be relatively easy to offer this as an option. One would much rather this conversion take place in their TV, or at least have the option of going that way.

This is my first post here Scott and I really want to say THANK YOU for the time you spent explaining details. Bravo!

ps: March 1 is the day

Yes, I have actually been using a 942 remote and a harmony remote with the 622 with no issues (I didnt even realize I was using a 942 remote until I looked) :)

Scott,
Do you know if you can control TV2 with IR using the dual mode? I know you can't on the 942. If so, it would enable me to use dual mode instead of single with my MX-800.
Thanks,
Chad

I have not seen a way to do this. To control TV 1 with the TV2 remote you flip the key in the remote. You can not do that on Remote 1.

Scott Greczkowski said:
No it dosent matter about the locals, if you are subscribed to a Dish HD package or are paying the $6 a month HD enabling fee you will be able to use the OTA tuner.

What if you are subscribed to an HD package, or if you payed the $6/mo HD enabling fee, *and* you don't subscribe to locals.....

Do you see guide data for OTA digital channels under that scenario?

jsanders said:
What if you are subscribed to an HD package, or if you payed the $6/mo HD enabling fee, *and* you don't subscribe to locals.....

Do you see guide data for OTA digital channels under that scenario?

I emailed the tech department this question and the answer I got was you will see the OTA channels in the guide, but it will not have any info for those channels unless you subscribe to locals through Dish. But since Dish does not carry the sub channels anyway, there info wont be in the EPG either.

MYNAMEHERE said:
But since Dish does not carry the sub channels anyway, there info wont be in the EPG either.

That isn't true. My 942 showed me all of the subchannels in my guide data. They even got PBS right which has five subchannels in my area.

jsanders said:
That isn't true. My 942 showed me all of the subchannels in my guide data. They even got PBS right which has five subchannels in my area.

Just going on what the tech told me...I do hope I'm wrong. So if I do subscribe to the SD locals, will the info for the sub-channels show in the EPG?

Can I use 622 for Free-To-Air HDTV?
I know PBS is FTA on satellite ( AMC 3 at 87.0°W )
So late say in the future more HDTV will be avelible free on different satellites... can this receiver used to catch this signals?

jsanders said:

I think he is asking if the full channel information will show up.

My experience with the 942 is that the local OTA HD channels appear in the guide, but if E* doesn't carry that particular channel, the EPG data for that channel will show "Digital Service" instead of the name of the program being shown.

Scott, thanks.

I have a question. With the "Dish on Demand" so called feature, does that mean that on this receiver every time you press the PVR button you are not taken to you PVR list, but instead an option screen where you are presented a menu where the default is cancel?

This is quite annoying, as it requires multiple button presses every time you want to watch a PVR program.

I would love Dish to offer the ability to turn this on demand thing off via setup menus like you can turn a lot of things off. Who do we talk to about suggesting this? Or at least defining how much space the VOD can take up. I wouldn't mind if it only kept 10 movies or something small like that.

Also, have you been able to play with the Sound Syncing feature to see how it effects the output via the coax modulator? I would hate to think that one has to choose between being in sync on your 1 HD TV, or being in sync on all your SD TVs...

As for the this being a 962 with potential MPEG4 issues, do you have confidence the MPEG4 problems are at the uplink end, or are we taking a risk getting these early 962s reborn as 622s?

Thanks.

PS - that black screen on start thing before you finally get a picture, I get that on my 721 ever since the last software update. Grr. How is the 4x fast forward? is it smooth? My 721 went from smooth to unwatchabel at 4x with the last software update as well. 15x is watchable however. Just wondering if the 622 does 4x right or wrong.

jsanders said:
It gets all the subchannels, but it only displays the show information on the first/main channel.

MYNAMEHERE said:
Just going on what the tech told me...I do hope I'm wrong. So if I do subscribe to the SD locals, will the info for the sub-channels show in the EPG?

Sorry, I wasn't intending to point fingers or anything.

I suspect that sub-channels will appear depending on what DMA you are in. If you live in the San Francisco bay area, all of the sub-channels appear in the guide data.

I don't know what other markets all of the sub-channel data exists. I don't see why it wouldn't be the norm though. Anybody know how common this is?

Scott:

Very nice hands on, practical review of the VIP622; you are correct, if I wanted to read the manual I'd download it from somewhere else.

As a wise person once said, "Don't let the bastards get you down."

iKramerica said:
Scott, thanks.

I have a question. With the "Dish on Demand" so called feature, does that mean that on this receiver every time you press the PVR button you are not taken to you PVR list, but instead an option screen where you are presented a menu where the default is cancel?
This is correct.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts