First Look: DishPro Plus 33 Switch

Didn't the DPP44 literature say it only worked with DP Twin?

I have only legacy but when I upgrade to a 622 along with my 2 811s will work perfectly.

Also, DP Twins are more widely installed on Dish 500 units. Combine it with a Single or Dual and pick up the 3 sats and feed three boxes. So much better than only 2 with a DPP Twin, and hopefully more reliable.

Hopefully much cheaper than a DPP44.

Only my observations as an end user who needs more than 2 DPP outputs.

The reason why this new switch doesn't work with a DPP Twin is that it doesn't have a power inserter. The DPP Twin requires more voltage and that's why the DPP44 has a power inserter.

I'm willing to bet that you'll still be able to power the DPP Twin if you have 3 DP receivers connected to the DPP33. We'll find out soon!

A DPP twin draws more power than a DP twin, it probably overloads a receiver powering both the DPP33 and a DPP twin. The DPP44 has a honking big external power supply so it's no problem.

edit, RandallA beat me to it while I was typing

Tom Bombadil said:
You'd also have to change the way the dish is cabled. Right now you get a DPP Twin with a DPP Single cabled directly to it, to pick up three satellites. You can't just do a DP Twin for DPP Twin swap.

I don't doubt that the switch is handy. I just think the naming is insane.

I'm sure the swapping out a DPP Twin for a DP Twin wouldn't be that bad. Besides, just secure the DPP 33 next to the dish and use the existing 2 cable runs as outputs for the DPP 33. Gives you an extra port out at that "central" spot.

Tweakophyte said:
Let's see the cost difference... that will be the best indication of why this switch exists...

Not to mention it saves a bunch of hassle for those 3 room installs where one of the rooms has a dual-tuner going on. I always hated explaining to a customer that I'm going to have to drill a 3/4" hole in the floor or wall due to the dual feed needed from a DP 34 switch

Notice they are still listing the switch as being UL approved for use as a ground block (though I'm sure that will still be a continuing topic of argument.

Sorry to rehash that "can of worms" but can you direct me to a link where you guys talked about it? I seemed to have missed it. I promise not to talk about it here. :D

And if this switch is incompatible with 1000.2, then that raises suspicion on what LNBFs they're using for that DISH. I mean, if you put in a DP Twin and DP Dual for the Dish1000, you can certainly use this DPP33 switch. I don't see why you can't with the Dish1000.2 if you can also use a DP Twin and DP Dual for the LNBFs there.

SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
And if this switch is incompatible with 1000.2, then that raises suspicion on what LNBFs they're using for that DISH.
The 1000.2 effectively has a DPP33 built in, thus it's not cascadable with any switches.

Swapping dpp twin

Have'nt been in the field enough lately, when switching out a DPP twin I've always used (3) dual DP lnb's, will a DP twin default to 119 and 110 sats seperately to use on a Dp34 or DPP33
Gern

To some degrea it is a step backwards as it only picks up 3 orbital slots, but it could potentialy mean that Chucky is still working towards a nation wide single dish solution and the still rumoured death of 61.5 and 148 would usher it along.

This switch is ideal for probably 90%+ of HD customers. They can get 119/110 + either 61.5 or 129. They can get 3 recievers on one switch. Actually I bet a splitter can be used on single port LNBFs to drive 2 of these switches if needed. This would allow up to 6 recievers and of them could be dual tuners.

I guess the question comes down to how many people have more than 3 satellites (I speculate very few) or more than 3 recievers (considering dual tuners probably very few on new installs where this would go). This switch is a great way to get the advantages of DPP and low cost.

Dont forget at Team Summit they told us about a DPP 64 switch they were working on. :)

Thats 6 orbital locations on 1 switch. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)