First Look: DishPro Plus 33 Switch

Miner

SatelliteGuys Pro
Didn't the DPP44 literature say it only worked with DP Twin?

I have only legacy but when I upgrade to a 622 along with my 2 811s will work perfectly.

Also, DP Twins are more widely installed on Dish 500 units. Combine it with a Single or Dual and pick up the 3 sats and feed three boxes. So much better than only 2 with a DPP Twin, and hopefully more reliable.

Hopefully much cheaper than a DPP44.

Only my observations as an end user who needs more than 2 DPP outputs.

RandallA

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Dec 13, 2004
San Francisco Bay Area
The reason why this new switch doesn't work with a DPP Twin is that it doesn't have a power inserter. The DPP Twin requires more voltage and that's why the DPP44 has a power inserter.

I'm willing to bet that you'll still be able to power the DPP Twin if you have 3 DP receivers connected to the DPP33. We'll find out soon!

rglore

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 12, 2006
Louisville
A DPP twin draws more power than a DP twin, it probably overloads a receiver powering both the DPP33 and a DPP twin. The DPP44 has a honking big external power supply so it's no problem.

edit, RandallA beat me to it while I was typing

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Tom Bombadil said:
You'd also have to change the way the dish is cabled. Right now you get a DPP Twin with a DPP Single cabled directly to it, to pick up three satellites. You can't just do a DP Twin for DPP Twin swap.

I don't doubt that the switch is handy. I just think the naming is insane.

I'm sure the swapping out a DPP Twin for a DP Twin wouldn't be that bad. Besides, just secure the DPP 33 next to the dish and use the existing 2 cable runs as outputs for the DPP 33. Gives you an extra port out at that "central" spot.

webbydude

SatelliteGuys Master
Feb 6, 2005
Akron, Ohio, United States
Tweakophyte said:
Let's see the cost difference... that will be the best indication of why this switch exists...

Not to mention it saves a bunch of hassle for those 3 room installs where one of the rooms has a dual-tuner going on. I always hated explaining to a customer that I'm going to have to drill a 3/4" hole in the floor or wall due to the dual feed needed from a DP 34 switch

David_Levin

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
Denver, Co
Notice they are still listing the switch as being UL approved for use as a ground block (though I'm sure that will still be a continuing topic of argument.

SummitAdvantageRetailer

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 11, 2004
East Coast
Sorry to rehash that "can of worms" but can you direct me to a link where you guys talked about it? I seemed to have missed it. I promise not to talk about it here. :D

And if this switch is incompatible with 1000.2, then that raises suspicion on what LNBFs they're using for that DISH. I mean, if you put in a DP Twin and DP Dual for the Dish1000, you can certainly use this DPP33 switch. I don't see why you can't with the Dish1000.2 if you can also use a DP Twin and DP Dual for the LNBFs there.

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
SummitAdvantageRetailer said:
And if this switch is incompatible with 1000.2, then that raises suspicion on what LNBFs they're using for that DISH.
The 1000.2 effectively has a DPP33 built in, thus it's not cascadable with any switches.

gernskin

SatelliteGuys Family
Mar 26, 2005
Swapping dpp twin

Have'nt been in the field enough lately, when switching out a DPP twin I've always used (3) dual DP lnb's, will a DP twin default to 119 and 110 sats seperately to use on a Dp34 or DPP33
Gern

Van

SatelliteGuys Master
Jul 8, 2004
Virginia Beach
To some degrea it is a step backwards as it only picks up 3 orbital slots, but it could potentialy mean that Chucky is still working towards a nation wide single dish solution and the still rumoured death of 61.5 and 148 would usher it along.

mike123abc

Too many cables
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
This switch is ideal for probably 90%+ of HD customers. They can get 119/110 + either 61.5 or 129. They can get 3 recievers on one switch. Actually I bet a splitter can be used on single port LNBFs to drive 2 of these switches if needed. This would allow up to 6 recievers and of them could be dual tuners.

I guess the question comes down to how many people have more than 3 satellites (I speculate very few) or more than 3 recievers (considering dual tuners probably very few on new installs where this would go). This switch is a great way to get the advantages of DPP and low cost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts