Flight Data Recorder for my dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Do the asterisks indicate the number of times the string was reissued by the STB? For example: many STBs reissue the 22KHz/DiSEqC commands if the signal is not locked in an attempt to acquire or reestablish the signal path.
exactly right. In the case of MyTheatre the initial command(s) is issued twice without pause. The long string was a channel that didn't lock, an old game feed frequency. I also changed the command structure to include a DiSEqC 1.0, 1.1, and 1.2 stacked call sequence. All the commands issued twice to begin.

Reactions: Titanium
Do the asterisks indicate the number of times the string was reissued by the STB? For example: many STBs reissue the 22KHz/DiSEqC commands if the signal is not locked in an attempt to acquire or reestablish the signal path.
Yes.

This new tool is showing me a lot about how the DiSEqC system works with my setup. I didn't realize I had so many options in DiSEqC control . I can set the switch type and number of repeats for the commands in the menu. I can select the framing byte E0 and/or E1. I can really make some custom switch controls with this :)
Settings.jpg

Ever heard the saying "The more you know the more you find out you don't know"? I've been studying DiSEqC specifications at Eutelsat. It's way more involved than I originally thought. Quite a language. I had no idea about some of the things you can do with satellite equipment. Ramping up the fun factor in my FTA hobby today :)

I have a question, that might possibly be answered by those owning such a diseqc-command reader.
So I thought I'd post it in this topic. I hope I'm forgiven for that ;).

In the diseqc menu of some receivers you have the options "diseqc repeat" and "sequence repeat".
I've never seen the difference explained to detail.
I've read somewhere that one of the two maybe just repeats the diseqc1.0-command, and the other repeats the whole sequence of diseqc1.0+1.1+1.2-commands. But I don't know if that is correct.

I myself have no installation to test this, with such a receiver and a sequence of switches.
Would it be possible that someone with such a diseqc-command reader and a receiver with these diseqc-options tests this out, with some multiple diseqc commands?

I would be much obliged :hatsoff2.

Greetz,
A33

With" DiSEqC repeat "the first byte of the command indicates it is a repeated command to the DiSEqC device. With "sequence repeat" the initial command is repeated and the device does not know it's a repeated command. If I understand it correctly ;)

Why would a device want to know if it is a repeated command or not? What would it do different?

And why would this be a menu option, in these two different choices? They sound rather cryptic, if meant for that purpose.
If you are correct, I would expect one choice "repeat: NO/once/twice/threetimes" and a choice "indicate that it is a repeated command".

So I don't really understand the reason behind it, if you are right. Would you know more?

Greetz,
A33

Oh yes, I've read a few of the eutelsat files.
And Spaun's "diseqc for technicians", also a good one!

Still don't know what some receivers mean exactly with the repeat options in their menu. Are you in the ability to test, with your receiver and your flight data recorder?

A33

Not all devices implement DiSEqC correctly or logically. Optimally, devices would ignore a repeat flagged command if the logic reports in progress or completion.

An example of poor implementation is the STB issues a GoTo DiSEqC string and while the motor is in motion the STB issues the same GOTO command, rather than flag as a repeat. Some motors stop to process the new string, even though it is the same, then proceed. This may happen multiple times during a long motor move. This happened during the microHD development and we had hobbyists reporting that motors were starting and stopping during a move. The problem was resolved by changing the additional string issues to include a repeat flag.

In order to establish a path that often includes multiple stacked switches and motors, receivers often include options to deal with these complex signal paths.

Reactions: a33
Oh yes, I've read a few of the eutelsat files.
And Spaun's "diseqc for technicians", also a good one!

Still don't know what some receivers mean exactly with the repeat options in their menu. Are you in the ability to test, with your receiver and your flight data recorder?

A33
It was my use of the DiSEqC Decoder that brought to my attention the wide variety of commands and how complex that command structure can be. The "Expert Settings" in my setup allowed me to change the use of the repeat flag to enhance the possibilities of configuring switches and motors. As to what the meaning of the terms used on your receiver are, it may mean more to those who translated it than any one else.

Reactions: a33 and Titanium
During the development of the ASC1 I became much more aware of the hit and miss implementation of these strings in STBs. Monitoring the strings and how they are issued, one is amazed that some of these STBs work for anything but single LNB fixed dishes (some don't). :D

I am thankful that conversations like this are taking place! Most STB owners assume that their STBs issue compliant commands and all devices correctly implement.

Well, thanks for this extra information.
Didn't know that repeat-problem with motors.
Did know, that repeating of course is needed for stacked/cascaded switches, and that repeating is sometimes helpful for switches that after 'powering on' need more time to be ready to receive commands correctly (or sometimes with long cable length -- same issue I guess).

The receivers I'm talking about (with 'diseqc repeat' and 'repeat sequence' in the menu) have I believe Dreambox or OpenPli images.
I don't have such a receiver myself, but I sometimes hop in at satellite-forums in Europe trying to help with diseqc problems. That's how I started reading and investigating diseqc protocol and diseqc possibilities :).
It took me some time, for instance, to discover what the 'fast diseqc'-option (yes/no) in the menu of the dreambox meant -- most people didn't know, and all kinds of fantasies about it were mentioned in various fora ;).

It's a pity that your (MagicStatic, Titanium) receivers don't have the 'diseqc repeat' and 'repeat sequence' options in your receivers. As far as I know, the options are present even if diseqc 1.2 is OFF, so they are not just there to tackle the problem with repeated commands for motor-control.

Maybe other members can help further?

Greetz,
A33

The motor was only used as an example. The same issues exist with establishing signal paths through single or multiple devices using 22KHz or any DiSEqC string / sequence. Timings and repeats address the variables of signal paths and device coding.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)