? for folks with current HWS & Superjoey (only please)

ggw2000

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 20, 2004
Out here somewhere
I have now found myself in a dilemma having waited for the announcement of the H3. Last year I was thinking about going with a HWS & SJ to get more tuners. Currently have 2- 722Ks and a 211K (used at home occasionally and RV in summer). The 722K hooked up to the main TV in living room is killing me during prime season with only two tuners!! The HWS/SJ would give me 5 tuners that I can live with as a whole. I have a dish 1000.4 EA feeding a DPP44. With the above I also could keep my 211K in house wired when not using it in RV.
My question for those of you with the HWS/SJ combo is are you happy with the setup? Does the SJ have quick response overall? And as a "system" does it work well?
Now looking at the H3 and a joey is a whole different bag of worms. Everything would need to be replaced from end to end- ie Dish/LNBF/solo hub.. This would also mean no longer having the 211K wired at home although they say that I can keep it on my account for use with RV.. My 4K TV has availability to everything 4K I need (Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/etc.) so a 4K Hopper isn't of much use to me at this point..
Any additional thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Gerry

I am happy with my hopper 2 and super joey and joey combo in my house. I did have two hoppers 1s -before the price hike from $7.00 to $12.00. But decided I wanted the one hopper to set timers instead of two hoppers running back and forth to set timers. I rarely have all my tuners recording at the same time. Last night was an exception with all my tuners + ota tuner recording. But I am looking forward to the 16 tuner hopper 3.

I also have a HWS + OTA tuner & SJ setup. The system works well with few to no hiccups. The SJ is almost as fast as the HWS and we watch most tv on the SJ so it gets a workout. I just wish it was capable of PIP. Very rarely it loses it's Moca connection and takes a few minutes to reset but this is very rare maybe once a month.
I am probably going to upgrade to the new H3 and 4k Joey since I recently purchased a new 4k Vizio. Probably will wait a few months till the early adopters report back on performance and give time for a few bugs to get squashed.

I have now found myself in a dilemma having waited for the announcement of the H3. Last year I was thinking about going with a HWS & SJ to get more tuners. Currently have 2- 722Ks and a 211K (used at home occasionally and RV in summer). The 722K hooked up to the main TV in living room is killing me during prime season with only two tuners!! The HWS/SJ would give me 5 tuners that I can live with as a whole. I have a dish 1000.4 EA feeding a DPP44. With the above I also could keep my 211K in house wired when not using it in RV.
My question for those of you with the HWS/SJ combo is are you happy with the setup? Does the SJ have quick response overall? And as a "system" does it work well?
Now looking at the H3 and a joey is a whole different bag of worms. Everything would need to be replaced from end to end- ie Dish/LNBF/solo hub.. This would also mean no longer having the 211K wired at home although they say that I can keep it on my account for use with RV.. My 4K TV has availability to everything 4K I need (Amazon/Netflix/Hulu/etc.) so a 4K Hopper isn't of much use to me at this point..
Any additional thoughts?
Thanks in advance,
Gerry

I have had the HWS/SJ for about 18 months with no problems. 5 tuners generally have met my needs.

I just joined Dish a few months ago and have 1HWS, 1SJ, & 1J, and I've been very happy. Haven't run into any recording conflicts and the performance has been fine. I have noticed that the HWS can lag occasionally depending on what menu you bring up and the apps have a slow load time. I assume this will be much better on the H3 given the faster processor though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will probably go with the HWS/SJ combo as mentioned. Now the question is since I have always (except in 1998) owned all my own equipment) is whether to sign up for 2 yr agreement and let them do it or buy the associated equipment and install it myself. I know that there is no advantage $ wise of owning but it just gives me a better feeling :). Also if I buy I may have a way of disposing of my 2 722Ks through Mark at dishdepot. Don't know of any other way of getting rid of them other than "flea bay" that I do not participate in.... I will have to email Mark and see what their trade in value maybe..
Gerry

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I'm not a 100 percent certain what the pricing on the Hopper 3 is, but if it's the same as the HWS then a Hopper 3 and a regular Joey would be cheaper than HWS and SJ and give you more tuners. I currently have a HWS and SJ and it works great. The SJ has been flawless for me. I'm still thinking of switching to the Hopper 3 to potentially lower my monthly receiver fees.

From what I understand, HWS & SJ today is $22 ($12 for HWS & $10 for SJ). The new Hopper3 will be $15 and Joey $7 so same $22 total. I'd like to upgrade as well given that for the same price I would get 3x more tuners, faster processor, and 4K ready, but I just signed up a few months ago so I'm sure I'll have to wait a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Will probably go with the HWS/SJ combo as mentioned. Now the question is since I have always (except in 1998) owned all my own equipment) is whether to sign up for 2 yr agreement and let them do it or buy the associated equipment and install it myself. I know that there is no advantage $ wise of owning but it just gives me a better feeling :). Also if I buy I may have a way of disposing of my 2 722Ks through Mark at dishdepot. Don't know of any other way of getting rid of them other than "flea bay" that I do not participate in.... I will have to email Mark and see what their trade in value maybe..
Gerry

My EHD for my HWS is arriving today and I'll begin transferring almost 200 movies from the internal HD to the EHD. This will probably take 2-3 days for it all to be transferred. So this will be a 24/7 thing.

Can anyone tell me what happens to the ongoing transferring when the nightly updates happen? Last night, my HWS turned off THREE TIMES to look for updates. Apparently it is never satisfied with just one shut down, which is why Dish is replacing this Hopper. But I'm wondering if the transfer will be interrupted or goofed up when the HWS does this, or will it simply pick up where it left off with the transfer?

My EHD for my HWS is arriving today and I'll begin transferring almost 200 movies from the internal HD to the EHD. This will probably take 2-3 days for it all to be transferred. So this will be a 24/7 thing.

Can anyone tell me what happens to the ongoing transferring when the nightly updates happen? Last night, my HWS turned off THREE TIMES to look for updates. Apparently it is never satisfied with just one shut down, which is why Dish is replacing this Hopper. But I'm wondering if the transfer will be interrupted or goofed up when the HWS does this, or will it simply pick up where it left off with the transfer?

If it was me I would slow down and take things a little slower. Transferring in chunks during the day or time when you know that the receiver is not going to look for updates or restart.. This could end up being very painful experience other wise!!
Gerry

If it was me I would slow down and take things a little slower. Transferring in chunks during the day or time when you know that the receiver is not going to look for updates or restart.. This could end up being very painful experience other wise!!
Gerry

Thanks Gerry. I'll be sure to avoid any transferring during the nights then, especially since my Hopper loves to look for updates 3-4 times a night. The EHD just arrived in the mail a few minutes ago and I'm going to let it assimilate to room temperature for 1-2 hours, then connect it and get an idea of the transfer speed. I'll try to time it for today's transfers to conclude before the 1:30 a.m. first update for the night.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Thanks Gerry. I'll be sure to avoid any transferring during the nights then, especially since my Hopper loves to look for updates 3-4 times a night. The EHD just arrived in the mail a few minutes ago and I'm going to let it assimilate to room temperature for 1-2 hours, then connect it and get an idea of the transfer speed. I'll try to time it for today's transfers to conclude before the 1:30 a.m. first update for the night.

Thanks again,
Chuck

Good luck!!! Hope everything goes well....
Gerry

I've already transferred a few items over to the EHD. I tested it after the first transfer, which was a 1-hour HD program. Took around 5 minutes. Seems to play back just fine from the EHD.

One thing I did not expect is that the transfer progress screen remains on the TV connected to the Hopper, which is my main TV -- a widescreen HD television. This eliminates my ability to watch anything on this main TV whenever I'm doing transfers. From what I can see, the transfer cannot be done through my Super Joey, which is connected to a smaller SD TV.

Do you know of any way to put the transfer progress screen in the background on the big TV so I can watch it?

EDIT: I finally paid attention to the transfer progress screen and saw the two options for "LIVE TV" or to "STOP." I clicked on LIVE TV and I'm able to watch it now as the transfer progress "hopefully" continues. At least the EHD is still flashing, which hopefully indicates it is still doing the transfer. This is pretty cool.

I've already transferred a few items over to the EHD. I tested it after the first transfer, which was a 1-hour HD program. Took around 5 minutes. Seems to play back just fine from the EHD.

One thing I did not expect is that the transfer progress screen remains on the TV connected to the Hopper, which is my main TV -- a widescreen HD television. This eliminates my ability to watch anything on this main TV whenever I'm doing transfers. From what I can see, the transfer cannot be done through my Super Joey, which is connected to a smaller SD TV.

Do you know of any way to put the transfer progress screen in the background on the big TV so I can watch it?

EDIT: I finally paid attention to the transfer progress screen and saw the two options for "LIVE TV" or to "STOP." I clicked on LIVE TV and I'm able to watch it now as the transfer progress "hopefully" continues. At least the EHD is still flashing, which hopefully indicates it is still doing the transfer. This is pretty cool.

Look'n good!! Hope it continues that way :).

I have a question that you maybe able to help with since you have the hopper/SJ combo that I am looking to install. Is there a way to setup separate profiles or folders where recordings go to? In other words if the SJ is setup in a room that my wife uses to record her "soaps" and other programs that I currently do not record on the 722K in living room can her shows record to a separate area of the hopper for easy access to her? Or will everything be grouped into a long list of programs on the Hopper harddrive that will confuse her?
I hope I explained it correctly. Thanks for any help!
Gerry

I'll try a stab at this one, though I'm not the most qualified since I haven't played with the folder function of the Hopper much. There is no SJ records this program and the Hopper records this one. Once you connect a SJ it will be just like the Hopper has 5 tuners instead of 3. So all of your timers and all of your recordings will be on one screen on the Hopper. It's completely seamless.

However the Hopper does have folder functions where I believe you could set it up so all your wife's soaps go in one folder and everything else goes in another. So you will be able to keep it separate that way.

I'll try a stab at this one, though I'm not the most qualified since I haven't played with the folder function of the Hopper much. There is no SJ records this program and the Hopper records this one. Once you connect a SJ it will be just like the Hopper has 5 tuners instead of 3. So all of your timers and all of your recordings will be on one screen on the Hopper. It's completely seamless.

However the Hopper does have folder functions where I believe you could set it up so all your wife's soaps go in one folder and everything else goes in another. So you will be able to keep it separate that way.

Thanks for the reply. I understand the first part of your response. It's the second part on folders (or whatever there called) that i'm trying to find out about.
Gerry

Have you used a Hopper at all? I see that you have a 722 and a 211 at the moment. Just wondering if you have seen the Hopper interface.

When you push the DVR button on your remote it brings up a screen with all your recordings. Instead of listing them by text like the 722 does the default view has each of your shows in a separate folder. Just like your desktop on your computer. Well also just like your desktop on your computer you can create a custom folder for your wife's soap operas that will put them in that folder and keep them separate from the rest of the shows.

Have you used a Hopper at all? I see that you have a 722 and a 211 at the moment. Just wondering if you have seen the Hopper interface.

When you push the DVR button on your remote it brings up a screen with all your recordings. Instead of listing them by text like the 722 does the default view has each of your shows in a separate folder. Just like your desktop on your computer. Well also just like your desktop on your computer you can create a custom folder for your wife's soap operas that will put them in that folder and keep them separate from the rest of the shows.

No, I don't have a Hopper as you noted and the reason why I am trying to do a little advanced research on how it works. Didn't know that it does not bring up a list like my current 722K. Now I have a better understanding of the interface and folder usage.. If a custom folder can be set up that I can record her shows to then this will be a real plus!! Thanks for the great info..
Gerry

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)