Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
It appears the lawsuit by FOX against DISH for its Hopper / Prime Time Anywhere / Auto Hop has been pushed off again, this time until January 15th.

For more details please CLICK HERE.

With the FOX deal expiring in the coming weeks, does this almost ensure this case doesn't see the courtroom? I would guess FOX and Dish would resolve during the contract negotiations. I can't see FOX pulling it's channels whenever the contract expires in these coming weeks until January.

Reactions: Yespage and Tampa8
Fox knows it has NO CHANCE of prevailing in its lawsuit. However, the lawsuit gives Fox some leverage when dealing with Dish for retrans agreements (both sides can save lots of $$ to end the suit instead of giving wheel barrels of money to their respective law firms during this legal dispute). All the others broadcasters (who are owned by big media companies like Disney, etc.) have dropped their lawsuits after reaching a retrans agreement with Dish.

Well once Fox gets settled , we will still have NBC with no contract, so auto hop will still be next day on that one. But yes auto hop as a next day feature will pretty much be dead. But that was why Charlie invented it anyway. He was using it as a bargaining tool with the networks to get a better deal out of the locals/networks. But even that tool has limited use and we are still paying more for locals each time they come up for renewal.

Reactions: Troch77
I'm not saying auto hop is bad, but I feel bad for the normal customers who don't know any better and bought dish because of this
You seem to be implying that it is DISH's fault that customers aren't allowed to effectively use the technology.

AutoHop does not infringe on the DIRECTV-owned Replay skipping technology that DIRECTV doesn't offer.

If customers want to use AutoHop, why can't they just wait the number of days until it is active? Right now, with most of the shows starting their new season, there is a lot to record. For me, it is not such a big deal to watch the shows that have AutoHop enabled while waiting a few days before the others have AutoHop enabled. It is really that important to watch a network TV show on the day it first airs? If it is that important, then use the 30 second skip button!

Also, Autohop will be "worthless" when their competition starts using this patented technology. As of now, to my knowledge, no one is using anything like it on the main scene. There are still plenty of people that get use out of delayed Autohop, and to anyone that says they will just go to cutting the cord completely... Good luck on those shows that you just cannot fast forward through, let alone Autohop.

Reactions: thomasjk
I' ll have to admit, I've Never used the Auto Hop feature.

I guess I'm just not that lazy to worry about pressing buttons on a remote.

Maybe I would rather DISH spend money on something other than Lawyers fees for such a Nitch feature.

Last edited:
The main thing I love about my hopper is the PTAT feature. Being able to record all 4 main networks at one time using one tuner is genius to me. Makes that three tuner hopper like the equivalent of a 6 tuner dvr during prime time. Add the usb ota dongle and you get 7 channels during prime time that you can record. Add the super joey ,which I have done and you can add two more tuners so 9 channels at a time during prime time. The auto hop feature is nice ,but it isn't a deal breaker to me. Losing the 30 second skip would be a problem to me though.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts