Fox O&Os, Weigel Launch Movies! Digi-Net

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Interesting....

Fox Television Stations and Weigel Broadcasting are partnering on Movies!, a film-themed subchannel launching in 17 Fox-owned markets this spring. The network's aim is "to create a new destination for movie fans that is fan-friendly and available for free via over-the-air television, and in many cases via local cable carriage," said Fox in a statement.

Movies! will be available on Fox subchannels in New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, Philadelphia, Dallas, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Houston, Detroit, Phoenix, Tampa, Minneapolis, Orlando, Austin, Memphis and Ocala.

The films will air 24 hours a day and will appear in a 16 by 9 format.

http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/491563-Fox_O_Os_Weigel_Launch_Movies_Digi_Net.php

I guess whats interesting is in some markets (Minneapolis being one) the -2 is either a SD counterpart or the co-owned My affiliate.
I guess these will be on a DT3?

I guess whats interesting is in some markets (Minneapolis being one) the -2 is either a SD counterpart or the co-owned My affiliate.
I guess these will be on a DT3?

And how low resolution will they be with 3 channels? Probably poor SD at best.

And how low resolution will they be with 3 channels? Probably poor SD at best.
Its a unique situation in Minneapolis as when the DTV conversion went through Fox 9 went back to its analog channel (RF9) and the power was really low so folks had issues (they did turn the power up since then). Co-Owned My29 (RF29) has the SD version but remapped to 9-2. Conversely 29-2 is on RF9

So on RF9 its
9-1 Fox HD
29-2 My SD
9-3 Movies!

RF29
29-1 My HD
9-2 Fox SD
29-3 Bounce TV

Bounce is only at 2MB so its not the best. So assuming Fox will use about 2-2 1/2 MB for it.

I guess we'll find out when it launches

Lots of changes here in DC. MeTV, this, and if thCool TV ever actually gets an affiliate that will make 3 new subchannels in town.

Will SelecTV, ONtv, or Z Channel return to OTA?

SelecTV and Z channel have been out of business for years. I doubt we would see them come back as subchannels. ONTV I simply am not familiar with.

Interesting. My Fox station (Detroit) doesn't have any subchannels so I'm expecting the picture quality to be OK for the new subchannel.

I think I saw that Fox O&O stations reserve and use a certain amount of bandwith for their primary 720p channel even if there are no sub-channels. So if sub-channels are added, the hd feed doesn't lose any bandwith and thus isn't affected.

Interesting. My Fox station (Detroit) doesn't have any subchannels so I'm expecting the picture quality to be OK for the new subchannel.

it depends on the market and if the Fox also owns a My affiliate
There are markets like Minneapolis and Phoenix where they "cross" channels due to one (mainly Fox) being on VHF. As example Fox is on RF9 and My is on RF29
If you scan RF9 you get
9-1 Fox HD
29-2 My SD

If you scan RF29 you get
29-1 My HD
9-2 Fox SD
29-3 Bounce

But if there is only a Fox in the market owned by them or both Fox & My are on same band there is no subchannels on Fox

This is good news. Can't wait...interesting discussion about PQ on sub channels. Since we dropped dish the PQ on the sub channels is actually significantly better than when we used the OTA module on the 722.

Ross

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD